Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Electric Heaters, what do you use?

I've read the Prohibiting electric heaters and started wondering what types, makes, models of electric heaters people are using?

We bought our first class A last year and starting Feb 1st will be full timing. We are in Alberta right now and I would like to supplement my heat while in the cold, especially when it's still in my driveway and we want it warm while we are packing, etc.

KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
One concern with using additional heaters is that your onboard furnace keeps the underside (basement) of the coach heated as well as the inside. This is where all your water pipes are routed. If no heat gets into the basement they could freeze and possibly break. I keep a 100w light bulb or a low wattage fan/heater on a thermo controlled recepticle in the water compartment just in case.

Small Electric heaters are very innefficient and us a great deal of power, they also put a large load on the breaker and can cause breakers to overheat and trip.

If you must have additional heaters use the oil filled types, they are much safer and economic.

An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome towing a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We like this heater manufactured by Holmes. We value the quietness of this heater but it is a toss-up between size, heating capacity and quietness. If you are prepared to put up with more noise you will probably be able to find more capable heaters.

Have a look in Walmart - they normally carry heaters by Holmes. Price approximately $25 or thereabout.
The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
You're going to get lots of answers to this question, with everyone touting his choice of heater as best. The thing to understand is that for a specific wattage of electric usage, all heaters provide the same amount of heat. There are several distinct types of heater, but a 1500W heat provides the same heat regardless of brand.

That being said, we have two small Vornado heaters that we bought to supplement our Hurricane system on the strength of recommendations in a similar thread. The Vornado design moves a large volume of air at a relatively low temperature. The air coming out of the device feels warm but not hot and things accidentally touching the heater grill would never be hot enough to cause a fire. Because of the large air flow they also mix the room air well and make the overall temperature more uniform. The downside of these is that some people might find the noise created by the moving air to be louder than they like, even though the fan motor is very quiet.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We use up to 3 heaters made by Dayton. They have 3 heat/power usage ranges. When I arrive home this afternoon I'll post the details.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dealership always suggested the ceramic heaters. Ceramic heaters will not set tissue paper on fire. We suggested never use strip heaters. A couple who were full timers and worked shows for us, bought a new Discovery. Two weeks after taking delivery they left a strip heater on in the bathroom. They went out to breakfast and a towel fell on the strip heater. They lost everything.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
I use 2 ceramic heaters by Lasko. It really helps save on propane. They do a good job heating. I can really feel a difference. When I leave for a few hours I always turn my heaters off ( I never run them when I am gone or sleeping ) It is much cooler in the motorhome with them off.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We chose to go with an electrical heating system that works in conjunction with the existing furnace, giving the option to switch from LP to electric heat with the flip of a switch. No portable heaters to lug around or store when not in use.
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I winter camp here in Indiana. Last night it got to 14'... I use a little 6" square ceramic heater I got at walmart in the basement. Its rated 1500watts but on high uses only 788wats per killawattez...
I have 2 edenpur like heaters uptop and it started out at 70 and by morning it was 62'. My gas furnace is set for 60 and never ran.
I have a remote temp gage and it got to 52' last nite in the basement. . My 6" only draws 5.6amps. Make sure the doors are all tight.
I would make sure that your wireing can handle the load... My breakers are 20amp.
My lifesmart heaters are rated 1500watts but only pull 1288 per killawattez at 11.6amps... My Lifesmarts are on different breakers... but I still unplug if i use the
coffee pot or micro... With the radiant infared heat, I am comfortable at 70 where I use to set the gas at 73... For me the biggest advantage over electric element heaters and
gas heaters is that it does not dry out the air as fast... I wake up with out a dry itchy nose.. and they have cleanable filters...
just my $.02
99 Beaver Monterey 36' 300hp Cat
99 VW Bug TDI diesel 5spd toad
06 VW Jetta TDI pk2 DSG
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a couple cheapo electric heaters from Walmart. They work fine and last a long time. 1,500 watts is 1,500 watts.

I haven't heard of banning electric heaters. Could you enlighten me a bit more on that subject?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Pretty much any electric heater that outputs up to 1500W will work well. The main differences you'll encounter will be adjustability and noise. I tried ~3 different brands of ceramic tower heater before I found one quiet enough for our tastes. We ended up with a DeLonghi

Significantly quieter than any other brand we tried plus I like that we can set temp and it has a tip-over safety.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using this one for the last 2 years and are quite happy with it.Holmes HOH3000-U Oil Filled Heater

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
I use one of these under my dinette to keep my feet warm.

Lasko 200W 3.8in x 4.3in x 6.1in Personal Ceramic Heater
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
We have two of these World Marketing Of America Inc - Oscillating Ceramic Heater - Portable Heaters - Camping World heaters. They have a high and low setting. They have performed as advertised for the last 4 years. I would purchase the same product again.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote