Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
Some stuff I didn't see mentioned..... CO2 produced from the electric plants to recharge E-vehicals. What kind of toxic waste lithium batteries have after their service life..... And how long will a battery/s last...???

On a side note..... I would love to see a E-RV, or at least drive one......
Lithium batteries are not considered as Toxic waste. Although no one would actually do it (they are worth money) they are actually land fill acceptable. Lead acid batteries on the other hand are definitely toxic waste and can literally take out a whole water table. All EV manufacturers presently have battery recycle programs. Nissan gives you a thousand dollars for the "core".

How long will they last. Not as long in hot environments as cooler ones. There are a bunch of Teslas passing 300,000 miles (mostly European cabs) and some Spanish Nissan leaf cabs from 2001 and 2012 are passing 300,000 km and showing about 40 to 50 percent degradation. There is a fairly hot used EV battery market for used in grid storage in homes.

We have no personal long term experience yet. One of our cars just hot three years old with no appreciable deterioration and the other is about 2 and half years and may 6 or 7 percent. We are in a cooler climate though. Ask us again in 5 years.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #730

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
In my opinion it will not happen at least for tow vehicles towing large 5er's. The truck stops plazas would be full of trucks charging their battery packs, which will take anywhere from 2 to 12 hours. I would be waiting all day just to charge up my TV for another 50 miles of driving distance. On inter-city transportation vehicles it is possible but not for cross country vehicles that haul freight.
Imagine gas stations offering fully charged battery packs to swap with yours.
That would be neat.
BulldogRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogRoad View Post
Imagine gas stations offering fully charged battery packs to swap with yours.
That would be neat.
It would probably be like the propane tank exchange. People only exchange them when they are almost expired and cant be refilled. Maybe you could lease the batteries from a national company, and just pay for the exchange.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #732

Now if Tesla was building a class B....
Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #733

Sure glad I’m on the home stretch. Give me a gas or D motor any day. I’m not buying into this. That’s just me and it ain’t changin
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #734
Community Moderator

https://apple.news/A8AZrrHTbTSG-P80X0_IYZg

Tesla is currently working on an improved battery cell design at Gigafactory 1 in Nevada, according to new President of Automotive, Jerome Guillen.

The Model 3 was enabled by the new ‘2170’ battery cell format developed by Tesla and Panasonic.
Production started last year and slowly ramped up to now over 20 GWh per year.

Recently, CEO Elon Musk has been talking about a new battery module for Model 3 to be introduced next year:
But Tesla is apparently not only working to improve its battery pack at the module level.

In a new interview with CNBC at Gigafactory 1, Jerome Guillen, who was recently promoted to ‘President of Automotive’ in charge of “all automotive operations and program management,” said that they are working on new and improved battery cells:

While Tesla mentioned improvements to the battery pack and battery module, it’s the first time that we’ve heard talk about improved Tesla battery cells since the launch of the 2170 cell almost two years ago.

It comes as Tesla is trying to further reduce battery costs as it attempts to deliver the standard battery pack for the promised base price of $35,000.
One of the automaker’s most important goals is to achieve a battery pack cost of $100 per kWh.

In June, Musk said that he believes they have come up with battery “breakthroughs”:
The CEO thinks that the company is on pace to achieve a battery cell cost of $100 per kWh by the end of the year depending on commodity prices remaining stable in the next few months.

With all the comments about improvements for battery packs, modules, and now cells, I think it’s time to get cautiously hyped up about Tesla hitting that $100 per kWh target.
It wouldn’t be only great for enabling the long-promised $35,000 base price for the Model 3, but it also has implications to enable other products, like Tesla Energy products or even Tesla Semi.
That said, they are still being vague about it, but I think we should expect news in the next few months.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #735

Yah he is keeping his cards close to him. We took a test drive recently and even the reps are pretty close mouthed about the next battery pack for the model 3. We are waiting till next year to order our three as the timing is wrong right now. We are torn between the long range rear wheel drive and the all wheel drive. Unless something changes we’ll probably get the all wheel drive with enhanced auto pilot. Amazing car. Not getting the performance model though. Too fast and the insurance goes up considerably.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #736

Here a truck to pull your fifth wheel. Lots of speculation. I suspect you’ll need deep pockets.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-pickup-truck-specs-modeled/
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #737

I'm trying to figure out why they think Tesla would reduce the number of cells if they do get a better way to construct them. I'd take more power over a 5% weight reduction.

I would look at an electric P/U as a work truck but I would not consider it for pulling a fiver. I think the range will drop significantly with that big flattish box over the bed. The only thing I am sure of is that this will be fun to watch.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #738

The next 18 months will see some interesting developments. Lots of analysis on which way to go on everything from market targets and even charge formats. They just decided yesterday on CCS for Tesla for Europe (in addition to Supercharger obviously) we are wondering now if the model 3 in North America will someday be compatible with Chademo like the S and X or if they’ll do the same thing as the European models.

Exiting times.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #739

Not to be pessimistic but all these "new" innovations from Tesla are just that. This is the "future", not today, tomorrow, or five years from now. Remember, Tesla is having a very difficult time delivering the Model 3, and many that have been delivered had a price tag in the $40K range vs. the promised $35K. And to repeat my earlier post, we here in the Buffalo, NY area are still waiting for the results of the Tesla/Solar City solar panel factory to get up the promised out put and employment level promised to New York State when they (and the good taxpayers) anted up almost one billion dollars to build the darn million square foot factory. They won't even let local TV crews in to see what we got for our money.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Not to be pessimistic but all these "new" innovations from Tesla are just that. This is the "future", not today, tomorrow, or five years from now. Remember, Tesla is having a very difficult time delivering the Model 3, and many that have been delivered had a price tag in the $40K range vs. the promised $35K. And to repeat my earlier post, we here in the Buffalo, NY area are still waiting for the results of the Tesla/Solar City solar panel factory to get up the promised out put and employment level promised to New York State when they (and the good taxpayers) anted up almost one billion dollars to build the darn million square foot factory. They won't even let local TV crews in to see what we got for our money.
Yah, but it happens pretty fast. Tesla produces a thousand cars per day or triple what they produced a year ago. Most are actually the high performance long range models with price tags greater than 55 Grand. As long as the demand for the high performance models is high I can’t see them building cheaper models with less margin.

Nissan is over 300 a day and GM is close to a 100. Then there is a myriad of other smaller manufacturers like ford, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia BMW and VW that have plans for serious ramp ups. At some point the numbers run away pretty quick.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #741

As I recall Tesla made their production goals for their 3rd quarter and are ramping up to 7000/week on the model 3 right now:

https://electrek.co/2018/11/15/tesla...7000-per-week/

The problem with the cost of the model 3 is battery cost exceeds their target. The announced enhancements were going into production when they were announced. Musk has learned a bit about over promising.

What I'm waiting for is to get sufficient market penetration to end the tax breaks and start charging a milage tax to pay for the lost fuel taxes. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
As I recall Tesla made their production goals for their 3rd quarter and are ramping up to 7000/week on the model 3 right now:

https://electrek.co/2018/11/15/tesla...7000-per-week/

The problem with the cost of the model 3 is battery cost exceeds their target. The announced enhancements were going into production when they were announced. Musk has learned a bit about over promising.

What I'm waiting for is to get sufficient market penetration to end the tax breaks and start charging a milage tax to pay for the lost fuel taxes. ;-)
Two thumbs up in that one. Believe it or not many of us who drive Electric want to see some sort of mechanism in place where we pay for road use. The least technical and simplest approach would be a fee collected at registration. This needs to be fixed sooner than later. We haven’t paid road tax for three years since that was the last time we bought gas...although we still buy diesel for the motorhome.

Tags
rvs