Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Electric Step Problem

I have a problem with my electric steps. When the RV is running or if you donít lock out the steps when I park they will retract when you put weight on them. So when we stop at a rest stop or gas station you better be quick to get in the RV.
Thanks for any help!!

gotago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Does it do this with your door wide open?

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Yes they do. If you don’t lock them with the stairs out door open they will close on you.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
What do you mean by "lock"? The step will close automatically while the engine is running. Actually They will close when the ignition key is in the on position. But they will open when you have the door open but as soon as the door shuts the step will close. Regardless if you have the step switch on or off. The ignition key will over ride the stair on / off switch. This is done to prevent you from driving while the steps are open. So your steps will act different while the engine is running. Is this what you are asking?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

Can anyone confirm? I have an electric step not functioning at all, my Rv is a damon 391 "yr 2000" The starter battery is dead I think, so I have connected a larger battery but its a leisure battery.
I guess it is not capable of starting the rv because by its nature it doesnt give a big enough bang for my dollar. But the electric step will not come out eigther.
So before I go spend more money on a starter battery, for an RV that we now live in and doesnt move, all I want to do is start the rv once in a while to get oil circulating and i would like the step out for safe and easy access
Regards from a brand new member
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bridgema View Post
Can anyone confirm? I have an electric step not functioning at all, my Rv is a damon 391 "yr 2000" The starter battery is dead I think, so I have connected a larger battery but its a leisure battery.
I guess it is not capable of starting the rv because by its nature it doesnt give a big enough bang for my dollar. But the electric step will not come out eigther.
So before I go spend more money on a starter battery, for an RV that we now live in and doesnt move, all I want to do is start the rv once in a while to get oil circulating and i would like the step out for safe and easy access
Regards from a brand new member
On my last two coaches my steps worked off of the Coach batteries. Have you checked them out?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Hi OneRVer,

I have a switch buy the steps. Push it one way and the stairs will stay out when you close the door. Push the switch the other way and the stairs will retract when the door closes. The problem I’m having is that when the switch is in the position where they retract when you close the door. If the door is open and you step on the steps with your body weight the stairs will close. So you have to move fast or land on your butt LOL.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Wow! that is a problem. Mounted in the door frame is a proximity switch. When the door is close this switch will tell the step to close and opposite when the door is open. I am wondering if the switch is loose and when you step down onto the step it becomes activated. I believe That you have to have metal against this switch to activate it. Let me do some checking on my door and I will get back to your post. Mean while see if you can find the switch to see if it has become loose. Does it do this when the engine is running or engine off or both?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
OK, on my motor home I have a switch mounted in the door frame lower left side. On the door directly across from the switch mounted in the door frame is a magnet. When the door is in the closed position this magnet will pull on the switch and activate the motor to the steps. This is the first place I would check out. Please let me know what you find. You don't have a strong magnet in your pocket do you? lol
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Go to Kwikee web site and they have almost all of the manuals for their products. This will help you immensley in understanding how the system is suppose to work and how to trouble shoot if it does not work. You will need the model number of your steps which you should be able to see if you look up at the steps from underneath the coach. If you can not find the model number just down load all of the manuals and then start comparing them to the product descriptions.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ok OneRVer,
Thanks for your help. I will check it out this weekend. Never new there was a magnet by the door. I just had a thought, that’s scary. LOL. We had a handy cap lift put in some time ago for my mom to get in and out of the RV. It is a lift type. It would fold up on the outside of the RV. When they installed it they put in a magnet on the low left side of the doorframe. They also gave us a magnet covered in rubber. You put the two together then the stairs would retract so you could operate the lift. I think that is were I will start first.

Sundancer268
Thanks for you’re in put I will defiantly go to the web site and get the manual.
Thanks All!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
No problem. I hope I was able to help. Please return and let me know what you find.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I will keep you posted. I hate when someone ask for help and they never let people if it was the fix, or if something else fixed the problem. Thanks for your help. I will have a post by Sunday night.