Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just looked at the above posted parts list and the motor shown is a window regulator motor, as stated earlier in this thread. $50 or less at any of the National Brand auto parts houses. Also, still a good bet that it is the "gear slugs" starting to deteriorate, about $5.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ACI Window Lift Motor 83694: Buy the right Window Lift Motor at Advance Auto Parts

I picked this one as a close example, possibly the correct one

Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
ACI Window Lift Motor 83694: Buy the right Window Lift Motor at Advance Auto Parts

I picked this one as a close example, possibly the correct one
Brockx, That sure does look like it! $45.99 sounds a heck better than the $189 that Lippert wants to charge. I'll definitely keep that in mind if it starts acting up again. Really appreciate you help!

That's the great part about being a member of a forum. There are always people that are willing to help when they can.

Thanks again everyone! I will let you know if it starts acting up again.

Mick

USAF Air Force Retired
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe thing to do is take the old one with you, match up the mount holes, cosmetic differences are not a problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are describing is very close to the way my steps were acting after I accidentally put weight on them while they were extending. Our MH is a 2008 Holiday Rambler with Lippert steps. As someone else suggested, the three window regulator gear plugs were crushed. Plugs look like miniature marshmallows. Replacements can be found at Advance Auto Parts for under $10.00 under the Help! Brand #74410. These were very easy to replace but take your time to get out all of the small pieces from the crushed plugs. I used garage door opener grease to lubricate everything. Steps are working like new now.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
What you are describing is very close to the way my steps were acting after I accidentally put weight on them while they were extending. Our MH is a 2008 Holiday Rambler with Lippert steps. As someone else suggested, the three window regulator gear plugs were crushed. Plugs look like miniature marshmallows. Replacements can be found at Advance Auto Parts for under $10.00 under the Help! Brand #74410. These were very easy to replace but take your time to get out all of the small pieces from the crushed plugs. I used garage door opener grease to lubricate everything. Steps are working like new now.
If I have to pull it apart again I'll be sure to check it! Maybe I'll be lucky and it will keep working correctly for awhile.

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #21

Quote:
I sure appreciate all the info in this thread. My Kwikee MH steps bang against the stop, at the end of travel, when retracting to stow. When the steps get the whole way up, they thump/bang a few times, before coming to a rest in the stowed position. I have attempted to adjust the ball joint arm with no luck.

The crush plugs read like they may be the culprit. I have no experience with these plugs.

How do you access the crush plugs?
Is the Help Part number the same for the crush plugs in Kwikee steps?

Again thanks to all for great info.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Exactly the same thing happened to me. DW stepped out too quickly, engine was running so steps were up. She stepped on them while they were moving out, didn't know the old girl was that fast.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gruelens, to get to the crush plugs you have to take the motor off the step frame. That was pretty straightforward. Then remove the metal cover over which surrounds the gear. On mine there were three screws holding it plus a plastic stud which broke while taking it out. This plastic stud was replaced with a stainless steel screw with a nylon insert locknut upon reassembly. Once the cover is off, grab the gear that protrudes through the cover and pull it straight up. The plugs fit between the large nylon gear and the gear which you just removed. It is pretty simple once you see it. I don't know if it is necessary but I did mark the position of both gears so that I put them back at their same relative positions.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #24

Thanks Jim and Debbie for the play by play on how to get at the crush plugs. It reads to be straightforward and a DIY job. I envision myself laying under my MH in the near future.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Thanks Jim and Debbie for the play by play on how to get at the crush plugs. It reads to be straightforward and a DIY job. I envision myself laying under my MH in the near future.

Just another little tip, the crush plugs can be very tight to get into place. Get the plugs in then pack the grease into the cavity. There are several brands out there and several different motors so tolerance stack-ups are common.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #26

Well, got into the RV this morning to take it in for a vehicle inspection, closed the door and the step started doing the same thing again. Worked fine for 3 days! What a disappointment.

My wife is suppose to get the parts today, so guess I'll be working on it again this weekend if it doesn't rain.

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #27

Took the motor off tonight and tore it apart. All three of the plugs were damaged. You can see the old part to the to right of the washer, and the new one below it. Had a hard time getting it to go back together with the new parts installed, but finally got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	59995  

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #28

Here's another pictures showing all the plugs installed before I reinstalled the cover. If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to get it reinstalled, and adjusted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	59998  

USAF Air Force Retired