Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Electric steps rattle

The electric retractable steps rattle very badly (loud, metal banging noise) when I drive my 2014 Itasca Solei 38R (same as Winnebago Forza 38R) Class A Motorhome. All the step's connection screws / rivets seem solid and the steps fully extend and fully retract as designed. I'm positive the steps are retracted in (I.e., NOT sticking out) while driving. Making us crazy - especially on CA cement freeways that are made of 10 foot sections of concrete (aka: freeway-hop). Any help on how to make the rattle go away or quiet them down would be much appreciated. (Note: My RV steps consist of two steps that scissor out / staggered when in the out position - like most RV steps). Sounds like the top and bottom steps are banging together in an up and down manner while driving. Thanks!
Big-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dave View Post
The electric retractable steps rattle very badly (loud, metal banging noise) when I drive my 2014 Itasca Solei 38R (same as Winnebago Forza 38R) Class A Motorhome. All the step's connection screws / rivets seem solid and the steps fully extend and fully retract as designed. I'm positive the steps are retracted in (I.e., NOT sticking out) while driving. Making us crazy - especially on CA cement freeways that are made of 10 foot sections of concrete (aka: freeway-hop). Any help on how to make the rattle go away or quiet them down would be much appreciated. (Note: My RV steps consist of two steps that scissor out / staggered when in the out position - like most RV steps). Sounds like the top and bottom steps are banging together in an up and down manner while driving. Thanks!
My now 20 year old Kwikee step has never rattled.

I can't say why but I always lube it with chain wax: MAXIMA - Chain Wax - Chain Care - Cleaners - Accessories - Cycle Gear

And both step treads have always had Prestofit step rugs on them: Prest-O-Fit Jumbo Wraparound+Plus RV Step Rug
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
IC2

Carpet them? They may still be a bit loose but at least the rattle is reduced. Defeating the purpose of electric steps, but I had to bungee some in a past 5er that rattled so bad they could be heard in my truck.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Make "custom" bumpers.

Look at them when closed and see where things are banging.

Open up and locate places where a pad can be placed out of sight but would cushion.

Get some real silicon RTV and clean the spot well.

Make a spot of RTV where the cushion (s) need to be then cover with plastic wrap and close the steps.

Next day open and remove plastic and see.

If it needs just a bit more next step is to just add a 1/4 inch bead in the new pad and leave open to cure.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up Thanks for the advice on rattling steps solution!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions for my rattling steps. They came with non-skid strips, but I might try the carpeting-them or the silicone-dots/pads ideas.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Carpet them? They may still be a bit loose but at least the rattle is reduced. Defeating the purpose of electric steps, but I had to bungee some in a past 5er that rattled so bad they could be heard in my truck.
I had considered bungee cording them when I drove from Vegas to L.A. because the rattle was SO bad that I couldn't carry on a conversation, but that would have been problematic getting in and out without steps. Frustrating six hour drive.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Make "custom" bumpers.

Look at them when closed and see where things are banging.

Open up and locate places where a pad can be placed out of sight but would cushion.

Get some real silicon RTV and clean the spot well.

Make a spot of RTV where the cushion (s) need to be then cover with plastic wrap and close the steps.

Next day open and remove plastic and see.

If it needs just a bit more next step is to just add a 1/4 inch bead in the new pad and leave open to cure.
I like the "make a spot of RTV" silicone bumpers / dots idea. Easier than trying to glue store bought furniture bumpers onto the steps. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
My now 20 year old Kwikee step has never rattled.

I can't say why but I always lube it with chain wax: MAXIMA - Chain Wax - Chain Care - Cleaners - Accessories - Cycle Gear

And both step treads have always had Prestofit step rugs on them: Prest-O-Fit Jumbo Wraparound+Plus RV Step Rug
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
Are the step rugs slippery?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine started rattling and after I lubed them they stopped.

A little tefon go's a long way.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

How about when you are parked, put the stairs in the stowed position and wiggly them around and see where they hit or where they are loose!
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
How about when you are parked, put the stairs in the stowed position and wiggly them around and see where they hit or where they are loose!
Good idea. I did notice about a quarter inch space between the two steps (when closed) and thought perhaps the bottom one was banging against the top one. I will have to wiggle them when they're in the stowed position. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
quiet the steps

Try spraying a good quality undercoat on the under side ,that will quiet them down ,for sure.
Depending on your location and how you use your rv , you can apply
STUFF insulating foam ,then apply the undercoat.

Good luck ,

john
john fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Great idea! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I'm not mistaken, there are some rubber bump pads in a couple locations on these steps from the factory, not necessarily on the steps themselves. You might want to check those out.

Tags
steps