Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric Vehicles

It seems to me that there are a lot of New electric and hi bred vehicles on the road. And Governments all over the world are looking at climate change.

Now first off I want to insure people I am no a tree hugger and I am also not against trying to save the planet. I made my living in the oil industry and would like to see it have a future. Just like coal and other industries.

I had a conversation with a fellow who is retired and is afraid to enter the market as he feels the Governments are really looking at legislating change to our life style.

I would like to hear opinions of the future of our RV’s that guzzle fuel.
I am not about to give up my RV but what do you think the future is?

A lot of people on this site are retired like myself and funds to buy a new RV if forced to are not available to most of us myself included.

I will step back and read your views and comments.
If you have any links on the future of RVing please post them.
Will our retirement lifestyle have to change?
What do you think?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Yes, I think the government doesn't like RVs or RVers. I notice this when I go to a federal campground and the water hookups are hand-pumps designed to fill 5 gallon jugs rather than a motorhome. It is possible that they will get those guzzling RVs off the road by raising the price of fuel until no one can afford it. I would hate to see that coming.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

As a full timer RV'er, my fuel cost is down from when I worked and commuted every day to work. Both of our vehicles averaged 20k miles/year then. My truck now only averages 10k miles a year, and our toad motorcycle may get another 8k miles/year.
Retirement with RV life will also reduce your fuel needs and utility expense just by seeking out mild climate zones with less heating/cooling extremes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
How does climate change impact RVs?

Sooner rather than later our source of energy and power for our machines will have to move from combustion engines to electric motors.

This means that my 2005 motor home (MH) that has 8 cylinders and gets 8mpg, will be in the cross hairs of this change. If carbon based fuel prices become tens of dollars per gallon, I will not be able to afford to fill the 75-gallon gas tank. The RV industry will be hit hard but the blow will be nothing compared to that received by the trucking and rail and airline industry.

The potential silver lining in this scenario is that the pressure to ramp up both electrical drive train systems and the energy sources for those systems is great and increasing daily. (Just look at the Formula E Grand Prix circuit for advances in this technology.)

I can foresee a day when I pull into the Flying-E and swap out my depleted electric energy pack with a full one with a discount of $.03/ kilowatt
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #5

Electric vehicles/RVs..

That 'magical' stuff has to be generated..........which is just shifting polution sources.
Not reducing overall polution

Now an 'ICE Age'---that should reduce a lot of polution sources.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

Who ever thought we would see an electric Harley?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Who ever thought we would see an electric Harley?
Just saw on the news they've stopped production for an unknown charging issue.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think you guys are wrong about the gov't taking aim at motorhomes or RVs in general, but the things we worry about could com to pass simply because RVs aren't on their radar at all. They are aiming at all forms of heavy fuel consumption, carbon footprint, nasty emissions, etc., and motorhomes and heavy duty pick-ups for trailering have attributes similar to the big trucks they are aiming at. When rules get created, there is no thought giving to making exceptions for private use recreational vehicles, perhaps because the rule makers and pols generally are not RVers. Maybe RVs don't deserve an exception, but most of us think RVs don't contribute enough to the problem to make a difference.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
How does climate change impact RVs?

Sooner rather than later our source of energy and power for our machines will have to move from combustion engines to electric motors.

This means that my 2005 motor home (MH) that has 8 cylinders and gets 8mpg, will be in the cross hairs of this change. If carbon based fuel prices become tens of dollars per gallon, I will not be able to afford to fill the 75-gallon gas tank. The RV industry will be hit hard but the blow will be nothing compared to that received by the trucking and rail and airline industry.

The potential silver lining in this scenario is that the pressure to ramp up both electrical drive train systems and the energy sources for those systems is great and increasing daily. (Just look at the Formula E Grand Prix circuit for advances in this technology.)

I can foresee a day when I pull into the Flying-E and swap out my depleted electric energy pack with a full one with a discount of $.03/ kilowatt
You must be really young if you think this will happen in your life time. Take a look at where the power in all areas is coming from. Solar and wind are great but going to be a while before they replace even the first nuclear or coal plant.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV population is pretty small when compared to all the daily drivers and commercial delivery vehicles out on the road day in and day out so we're really not in anyone's cross hairs. We can't even get lemon laws to cover RVs. In the short term we're more likely to end up having to get some type of federal operators licence similar to a CDL than parking our rigs for pollution control.

What will probably happen in the next 30 years or so is we will get swept up in some heavy vehicle legislation. But also keep in mind the various organizations representing everything from drivers, vehicle builders, fleet owners, interstate/regional mass transit,,, and powerful lobby representation within congress to slow such actions down. Until proven alternatives are available along with the infrastructure to support I don't think we'll see regulations at the federal level changing much. Major changes to the long or even region trucking will ripple thru society affecting every aspect of our way of life. Replacing it is going to take years if not decades.

Now if you live in a certain state on the Pacific Coast there's no telling what you might be facing, tomorrow morning.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Just saw on the news they've stopped production for an unknown charging issue.
The articles I read said that they were too expensive and no one wanted to buy it. That makes more sense to me than a charging issue (that is always able to be addressed if the business supports it).

I have been watching electric motorcycle progress for a while. When I was a kid, I was riding a motocross 2 stroke bike in a populated suburban town and was annoying a lot of people. I hand crafted a quieter exhaust even though it negatively affected performance. But I would rather ride a little slower than not ride at all. And no aftermarket exhaust systems were sold at that time for this need. An affordable electric motocross bike would have changed a big piece of my life at the time.

Anyway, many of the major motorcycle OEMs (think Honda) are developing and testing theirs. A few smaller companies entered the market and died due to the cost. I suspect "Honda" is waiting for the EPA to further drop the hammer on emissions and be ready with a mature product. That's how 4 stroke motocross bikes ended up dominating. Even though they are 25% more expensive (but not double).
Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Electrical Vehicles have their place but until you can see them do 400-mile range before a recharge.
In doing some reading about Lithium-ion batteries I learned how they do not blow up as they once did with the charging. In the last 5-years have made plastic to protect the materials. Some great leaps from the 1940s when first created.

In another story soon driverless vehicles will take over waste pick up. electrical Vehicles will have a charging lane all none stop. Parking lots that will charge while parked. I have seen a lot of changes in over 70-years. But the main factor has to do with recharging with only using the power created electric from the sun, without oil, gas in any way being a part of the mix, used to make it accrue.

We have a long way to go before we will be at that point. However, as an old man, I am very pleased to see the creation of a bathroom without any outside power source operate completely one its on power completely. The person walks in and completes 1 and 2, The heat in someway generates power to separate water for drinking, burns up number 2. Saw that on Netflix Movie called inside bill Gates Brain. Its, already in operation and cleaning up 1/3 the waste in a 3rd world city.

For the next 20-years, GAS and OIL are our best options for now.

But hey what do I know I'm just an old fart,
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of good points here and I never thought of motorcycles. There is a good you tube video about harleys being built in India. Also about there struggle to survive.
If I find it again I will post a link.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...cle-production

Harley pulls the plug.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric