Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
TRC 34750 Portable Surge Guard failure

I started a thread relating to a surge/spike that hit our rig at a CG. It took out our microwave, keurig and convertor. We had a TRC Surge Guard protecting our rig. I was stumped as to how a surge/spike could have gotten by our surge protector until I found an article on the net which explained a few things. I'm pasting some useful information I found while researching our event.
- A spike is similar to a surge except that it lasts for one or two nanoseconds, whereas a surge lasts longer. A good analogy is water pressure. If your water pressure is excessively high, you'll have blown lines in your plumbing system.
-A surge protector will prevent these spikes and surges from passing through the system. It does this by utilizing metal oxide varistors, commonly knows as MOVs. A MOV does nothing at normal voltage levels, but when the voltage rises to an unsafe level, it shorts that power to ground. Energy surges are rated in units of joule.
-Most products referred to as surge protectors also contain some sort of low- and high-voltage protection. This is important because many RV electrical problems stem from low-voltage power from a campground pedestal. When the voltage drops, the amperage increases and this creates extra heat, which causes items such as motors and electronics to fail. A good surge protector will disconnect power to the RV whenever the incoming voltage falls out of the acceptable operating parameters, typically 106 volts on the low side and 132 volts on the high side.
- Later in the afternoon when other campers switch on their AC, the load on the grid can be too much, so the voltage drops to an unsafe level. Those campers without surge protectors run the risk of causing serious damage to their AC compressor motors, capacitors, and other electric components.
the majority of the Surge Guard units do not indicate if the MOVs have blown and will continue to pass current even after the surge protection capability has failed.
That is likely what happened to our surge protector. It likely protected us at some point, but without a sign that the MOV's had deteriorated to the point where the unit was not functioning/protecting as it was intended, we were literally sitting ducks till the fatal next surge/spike. I hope this is helpful and gets people thinking about their TRC surge guards. Our particular SG was 4 years old.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279 This chart does a good job comparing surge protectors. We have ordered a Progressive Industries EMS PT 50C through amazon which is delivering it to the campground today.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Glad you are upgrading to a progressive industries unit. What you also may have not known is the progressive industries units are protected by a LIFETIME WARRANTY !
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Took a while to get the info on the surge guard and to the moderator that was why I put it in a separate thread so folks could do a search and find a thread relating to surge guard failures. When I searched I couldn't find any good info on this forum.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me thinks you are losing the neutral in the transfer switch....
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Except I don't have a transfer switch.....no genny in my rig. We got the new surge protector and am greatly relieved. The new PI unit shows what the voltage is coming into each line and the amps used on each line. Very cool. I like the error display as well. DW is happy.

Tags
electrical