Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Electrical Issue

DW and I arrived at 7 feathers in Southern Oregon. Amazing place. I plugged the surge protector into the pedestal and then the power cord into the rig. After connecting the rest of the rig, I went inside for a quick lunch. The AC and TV were on. About 30 minutes later, I heard a pop from behind me and the TV and AC went out. I looked over at the microwave and the clock was still on. The fridge was also working. I checked the fuses and none had tripped. A couple minutes later DW and I could smell a burning smell. It smelled like an electrical fire. I went outside and unplugged from the pedestal. I went straight to the convertor and felt it. It was hot and something was dripping out of it. We had replaced this thing only two years ago. We drove up to Coburg and picked up a new convertor. Replaced it and everything work except the keurig coffee machine and the microwave. Appears that they are fried or the mother boards are. Everything else works. All the plugs are functioning. Other than those two kitchen tools everything else is fine. Given that we have a surge protector does anybody have an idea what might have happened or what might have caused the convertor to go south. The first time (2 years ago) when the convertor began to fail the lights began to flicker. It was what I would call a gentle failure. This was a pretty violent failure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've been to 7 Feathers several times and have never had a problem with their setup. Not saying it didn't happen there though as we know it can. Did you check with the office and see if anyone else had reported problems at that time? If you had a surge protector in the line then it doesn't seem like a power surge from their wiring would have caused your problems.
If your converter went out it's possible that it shot a spike through the rigs wiring and that would have not been caught by your surge protector.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #3

What brand of converter? Unfortunatly the converter (inverter possibly?) is downstream of the surge protector the surge protector didn't save the inverter. I would insure the inverter is off while plugged in to shore power.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
What brand of converter? Unfortunatly the converter (inverter possibly?) is downstream of the surge protector the surge protector didn't save the inverter. I would insure the inverter is off while plugged in to shore power.
I've ALWAYS left our inverter on when on shore power. Done it with every rig we've owned over the last 50 years or more although some of the first ones only had a converter (not even a toilet at that stage)!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On the opposite side I never run the inverter when not needed. I would venture to guess the inverter/converter had the problem.

LEN
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too wonder about the converter
Like the person who always leaves his inverter on.. Mine is a Prosine 2.0 I disable the converter and use a Progressive Dynamics 9180+wizard because.. Well... I like the charge program better on the Wizard than I do the Prosine.. I do hold the prosine in resereve for charging though due to other considerations.. Long story left out. PDI has been 100% when plugged in.

The Prosine inverter switches to standby when 120 vac is incoming, when 120vac is lost which has already happened 2x this year and happened 3x last year the Prosine kicks in so fast the TV does not even blink (VERY GOOD UPS) the computers only know because internet (Provided by the park) is lost.. My system remains live.

If something popped and was dripping from the converter. There is/was a problem there.. For sure.

I too wonder what make and model.

Fact. not a big difference in price between say a WFCO and a Progressive Dynamics of the same size... BIG difference in quality.

In 2005 when I got my RV I researched Converters looking for one that was better than the Progressive Dynamics Wizard control units. I looked and looked and I'm still looking.. have not found one yet.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

What brand and type of surge protector? Was it the type that checks for wiring faults and voltage anomalies like a progressive industries EMS-PT50C ?

Surge protectors only are of very limited value. The EMS-PT50C checks for voltage above 132 or below 104, open neutral conditions, frequency protection, plus other conditions, and will SHUTOFF the power to the coach before damage is done.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We have a surge guard 240V 50 am. The only damage done was to the appliances in the kitchen slide. Its odd though that the breakers did not throw. Phoned the progressive folks who think that it was probably a problem with the convertor. Although they did suggest to send the surge guard back and they would check it out. Although I replaced the WFCO with another we will take our time and get a better convertor....
Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
We have a surge guard 240V 50 am. The only damage done was to the appliances in the kitchen slide. Its odd though that the breakers did not throw. Phoned the progressive folks who think that it was probably a problem with the convertor. Although they did suggest to send the surge guard back and they would check it out. Although I replaced the WFCO with another we will take our time and get a better convertor....

I don't see how a problem with the converter would have fried the coffee maker and microwave oven. Seems more plausible that a power problem damaged the converter, microwave, and coffee maker all at the same time.

Is your surge guard the product made by "TRC" Technology Research, LLC ?

They make several 120/240v 50 amp products..... Some are surge suppressors only, which are
not what I would recommend. The models which actually shut off the power to the coach when they detect a problem, are the only ones I would own.

Is yours the 44270 , 34750 , 34850, 40240, or 34560 ?

Progressive industries makes competing products. Again, the SSP-50 which is a smart surge suppressor is not the product to own IMHO. GO for the EMS-PT50C or the EMS-HW50C
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again what converter..

Also a comment.. one of the things I have noticed in my and other motor homes is that many of us RVers have a few screws loose.. I had a theory which just yesterday I read the words of a professional technician who said.... MY THEORY TO THE LETTER!!!.

But We often have a few screws loose.. In my case one of the screws attaching the wires to the circuit breakers took over TWO FULL TURNS before it even started to tighten, over 3 full to snug.

(His/my theory: Wires wiggle due to vibration and change size due to heat/cold so they flatten and become loose even if properly tightened at the factory.)
Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I don't see how a problem with the converter would have fried the coffee maker and microwave oven. Seems more plausible that a power problem damaged the converter, microwave, and coffee maker all at the same time.

They make several 120/240v 50 amp products..... Some are surge suppressors only, which are
not what I would recommend. The models which actually shut off the power to the coach when they detect a problem, are the only ones I would own.

Progressive industries makes competing products. Again, the SSP-50 which is a smart surge suppressor is not the product to own IMHO. GO for the EMS-PT50C or the EMS-HW50C
X2........Doesn't the converter only supply 12 volts and charge the battery?
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The converter indeed does only provide 12 volts to the 12 volt systems, however it is also connected to the 120 volt side and when things go POP what are called SPIKES (not surges) can happen (though I've seen surges happen too in extreme case (just one that I have personally seen)).

These can shall we say "Backfire" into the 120 volt system.. ODDS.. low.

But in many cases the "Converter" is part of a larger assembly.. For example a Parallex 7300 or many WFCO models are intergrated Converter and power distribution center all in one.. We may say "Converter" but with these devices we need to be a lot more specific as to just where the problem is.

In my motor home the 120 volt distribution panel is separate from the 12 volt and a good 10 feet from the converter. And the problem I had with my Air Conditioenrs not working was in the 120 volt box (And described above) I did not have a problem with the coffee maker (I do have a Kureg as well as 2 others) nor did I have a problem with power to the Microwave (I did have a problem with the microwave, but hey, one expects that when the manufacturer's tag says LG upon it (never had one work yet).. .I fixed it though).

But in a combo (integrated) unit. Well it is harder for the lay person to segment between the 3 modules.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Ours is a 34750. Funny thing happened this afternoon. The AC shut off with a click sound behind us again.....Think it might have been the GFI in the washroom. This was the same time it happened two days ago. I ran out and checked the surge protector which showed it was working . I next checked the kitchen outlet with a circuit analyzer which showed a hot neutral reverse (red and orange light). I ran out and pulled the power out. Next I checked a separate 30 amp outlet from the pedestal because I didn't have the means to check the 50 amp side. The circuit analyzer showed it was ok. I plugged the rig into the 30 amp using a 30 to 15 amp pig tail. I drove out to a nearby RV store and brought back a 50 to 30 amp pigtail which I plugged the analyzer into. Of course it was ok and when I plugged the 50 amp back in all the outlets showed as ok. I cannot for the life of me figure out what this is. Is it possible that a surge or spike is getting by the surge protector? Any advice would sure be appreciated.
Our WRCO convertor is a stand alone wall mounted unit.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:04 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
What happens when a surge protector fails. Does it allow spikes or surges through without shutting down?

Tags
electrical