Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #1

Electrical problem

Just had a new ac unit replaced and now when it's running it's arcing out through out the camper. Found this out when I was outside smoking a cigarette and went to go back inside and the stairs electrocuted me. I'm thinking something wasn't wired up correctly or some wires are exposed. What do y'all think?
Muddbutt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #2

I thinking you are right. Better take it back and have it done correctly.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
YC1

Uh oh, Welcome to the forum.

What details are you leaving out?

You apparently are plugged into some outlet at Home? If it is a three prong plug and you have never used it before get it unplugged immediately.

If you are using an extension cord, get it unplugged immediately.

If you plugged into some new 3 prong outlet that has never been tested or used before it may be supplying 220 volts.

If none of the above applies, turn the breaker off of the AC.

What is arcing inside?? I hope you don't have the dreaded 220 volt three prong outlet installed by an expert issue.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have an open ground.. RV to Power source.
There are other possible issues (i once had an RV wired backwards by a prior owner. He hooked the white wire to teh copper screw and the black wire to the shiny screw.. Same symptom as you have).

But odds are it's the outlet or the shore plug has an open ground

Recommendation is a SURGE protector. eitehr a Progressive Industries HW or PT 30 Or 50 c
Hw- Hard wired *(Best)
pt - PorTable (ok but you have to rember to plug it in)
30/50 depends on the RV;s pwoer plug 30 for 30 amps 50 for 50
c Current revsion

or the TRC Surge Guard equivalent

This will
1: Show that you have an open ground (See note below)
2: Protect you if you shoudl plug into a mis-wired outlet or a 240 volt 30 amp outlet
3: Protuct you against low/high park voltage
4: Provide informaiton

NOTE: a Three light Outlet tester will show open grounds as well.

Why the shock
ROMEX cable has a hot wire neutral and safety ground in the middle.. This forms what us Electronics types call a Capacitive Voltage Divider RV' have just enough wire to give you a good Tingle.. but the current is low enough that danger is .. Small. not zero but small. Still get it grounded
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Take it back ASAP! I also urge you to get a Progressive Industries EMS protector that will cover you against any electrical problem from the shore power.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

That its deadly. Get it immobilized, then rectified before using it.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

SNORT!

Don't forget to replace the muffler bearings. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

What do you mean by ARCING?

To me that is sparks or arcs with current so you should be dead.

If it's the tingly bit then you have a bad ground or leakage current in the new A/C. Take it back and complain to the installer.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Or the ninwits reversed neutral and ground or shorted them, throwing live voltage into the ground. Which you then get tingled whenever you touch metal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can google "RV Hot Skin Condition" or watch this YouTube:

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Or the ninwits reversed neutral and ground or shorted them, throwing live voltage into the ground. Which you then get tingled whenever you touch metal.
Should not matter. Neutral and ground are connected together at the post. Connecting them together at other places could confuse some electronics but should not make the chassis live.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Back in 2005 I had my sticks and bricks upgraded with central Air.. Yup. they did that. reversed not neutral and ground but HOT and ground.. Blew a bunch of fuses figuring it out we did (myself and the company technician. his fuses. he blew 'em).
Old 05-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #14

If you have previously used the circuit you're plugged into now with no problem, then i'd bet it's something the technician did while installing the new unit.

I would imagine that the only wiring he touched was at the connection box at the air conditioner so i'd climb up there, pull the shroud, open the box, and eyeball the connections to make sure they were connected properly. Black to black (maybe red), white to white, and green or bare to frame. Would also look for a nicked wire or one that wasn't placed into a wire nut correctly. If you see nothing there, then it would probably be best to take it back to where it was installed so they can check the air conditioner itself out for problems.

Tags
electric, electrical