RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Electrical Problems, Maybe.

Have several electrical issues

Slides open and close by themselves but only after the sun sets.
Eplex system cannot control heat or a/c temps.
Rear a/c sometimes does not turn on.

I know when I am having these problems, because one of the rocker switches, it turns on the 120v outlet in the engine compartment, glows when turned off.

When I am plugged in, do I need to have the inverter on? I can shut it off without turning the charger off. I want to eliminate the inverter so I won't spend the money to replace it.

OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

Have you considered an exorcism?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Normally the INVERTER takes battery power and INVERTS it to 120V power to a specific outlet such as the refer if you have a residential refer. Those plugs probably will not get power without the INVERTER turned on.

Your CONVERTER on the other hand takes 120V power and CONVERTS it to 12 volts to power lights, water pump, all the various circuit boards for appliances such as water heater, furnace etc. as well as charging the batteries. None of that has anything to do with the INVERTER except to replenish the battery charge that the INVERTER uses while you are not plugged in such as when you are driving.

Not sure what's going on with your other systems but you probably do need the inverter if you have 120V plugs you need to function while driving and since your coach is all electric I assume you probably do.

Bad grounds and low/bad batteries can cause all sorts of issues like you describe so make sure all the cables are clean and tight and the batteries are reasonably fresh/ full of water.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"OldHiker"......Your odd happenings are most likely caused by a bad ground in your system. Because it's affecting so many items, it may be your main ground. Go to your battery bay (coach batteries) and find the ground (-) lead that goes from the batteries to the frame. There will be other ground leads that run to the coach and inverter, but the one to the frame is what you should look at. Disconnect at the frame and clean the connection and then reconnect (obviously...disconnect from shore power and turn off charger).

When you're plugged into shore power, your inverter, most likely a Magnum, possibly a Xantrex, has what is called a pass through system. When connected to shore power the inverter basically goes to sleep and passes the shore power through the inverter without involving it.

So......turning off your inverter doesn't really save any wear and tear on it. You're better off to leave it on. If there is a power outage while camping, your inverter will seamlessly take over until the power comes back, as long as the inverter is in the on position.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #5

Xantrex inverter/chargers have the ability to turn off the charger only, or the inverter only. Downside, the battery bank will discharge from phantom loads when not being float charged.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

Always start electrical problems by looking at grounds first. And then an overall look at the wires. Look for something pinched or rubbing. The 110 plug in the engine bay is probably for a block heater. You may not always need it on.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Agree on ground issue, that backlit switch is a bad ground trying to find its way home.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

The rocker switch is OFF and still barely glows. When I turn it on, the light is much brighter. At least i have a direction now. I'll keep everyone posted.

I did try an exorcism that just brought my ex-wives to haunt me.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
The rocker switch is OFF and still barely glows. When I turn it on, the light is much brighter. At least i have a direction now. I'll keep everyone posted.

I did try an exorcism that just brought my ex-wives to haunt me.
Lighted switches that glow when turned off indicate a small short to ground. There is positive voltage on the ground side. With resistant driven systems that usually means a bad ground.But it could also indicate a chafed positive wire slightly touching a grounded surface. You need to investigate immediately to avoid a larger problem.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #10

Rocker switch glows occasionally, not continually and only at night. That's when I have my problems. And I live alone so I can't blame anyone.

Just tightened all the battery connections. I think the rest is beyond me.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

As a lifelong diagnostician, I am struggling with the day/night part. Unless there are systems of which I am ignorant (and believe me, the amount of things of which I am ignorant is legion), then could it be possible that the light in the switch could be too dim to see during the day?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #12

It's dark here now and the switch is not glowing. It's unpredictable except I only have issues after dark. In the middle of the night my front 2 slides will open and close while I am sleeping. They wake me up. I now unplug the controller for each slide once I am setup.

Something I forgot to mention. I can turn off the glow by turning the 12v master switch in the panel above the driver to the off position, then turning it back on once or twice. This will turn off the glow and stop all the other craziness. But it keeps coming back.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #13

charliez and I agree. Over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground. And I might add, the most aggravating to find and correct.
Did I mention I hate 12V problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
charliez and I agree. Over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground. And I might add, the most aggravating to find and correct.
Did I mention I hate 12V problems.
Did I mention that I'd rather go sky diving without a parachute than track down a 12 volt short.

IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, problem, problems