Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Electrical splitter. Little help please

We went to teo different parks last night and both only had 20 amp out let's. I have 3 air conditioners and can run one if I have 30 amps. My coach has a 50 abp cord and when I have 30 amps I use a splitter I can make it work. My question is do they make a 30amp splitter and if so could I take two 15 or 20 amp connections and rum them into my splitter and then into one side of my 50 amp splitter to get the 30 amps I need to run my one air conditioner?? I hope I didn't make this two confusing. I am just trying to find a way to get one air conditioner to run off two 15-20 amp outlets. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Safe travels

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Generally speaking the anwser is no--15/20 amps plugs are about as low as it goes. There are adapters [pigtails or "splitters] that convert 50 to 30 and 30 to 15/20, but none that convert/combine two 15/20s. I have seen an adapter advertised that converts one 30 amp and one 15/20 to a 50 amp but am not sure how those work as you can have problems with your surge protector with multi-ground sources?????

Again, 15/20 is the bare minimum but if you turn off almost everything else [bat charger, hot water to propane, etc, etc, you may be able to get by with one A/C unit.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Appalachian Campers
Only 20 amp outlets! These must have been some very old parks
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Confucious say: Those with 50a coaches with 3 ACs that go to 20amp only campgrounds during very hot summer get/had brains cooked.

If brains not cooked to bad, bite bullet run generator or move.

As Old Scout said, if you turn ALL 120V off in the coach except 1 AC, you may get it to work. Not something I would consider unless it was an emergency where I couldn't move.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can use two 20A outlets but they should go to separate legs of your 50A cord unless you are absolutely sure they are not out of phase with each other. If they are out of phase you will have 240v between them and a major short if you combine on one leg. Big fireworks for a short time!

You should be able to run one a/c on a single 20A circuit. Your problem is that you have two a/c's on one leg, so that leg will always trip a 20A breaker, even if everything else is turned off. Flip the circuit breaker off on one of the a/c's on L1 and it might work. First put everything else on propane, though. However, if you have residential fridge it still may overload.

You can use a "cheater" box or Y cord to utilize two 20A outlets as two seprate legs on your 50A cord. That works as long as neither outlet is a GFCI.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The kind of device you describe is **NOT** GFCI friendly.. Though an old park may have grandfathered outlets that are NOT GFCI... Odds are they are GFCI and such a device will calse the click of darkness to ensue.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

Thanks for all the information. We are in a park that I was able to use two 30 amp plugins into my 50 amp splitter. I can run two air conditioners (using low fan setting).

Safe travels everyone

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote