Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Electro Magic Bed

Does anyone know any information about this bed? Mine is stuck 3" from the top and won't come down. I blew 4 fuses trying to get it to start. Is the motor most likely blown? If so, the manual says it was a Somfy 540R 2 motor. I looked this up online but without being able to see the motor that is in there, under the mattress that I can't get to, how would I know I am buying the right thing? Has anyone dealt with this issue? both RV repair places I went to did not know anything about this bed. In Sacramento, CA This issue caused my electric to be blown on the whole left side of the rig which already cost $500 to figure out the bed is the problem!Any help would be much appreciated!
Pauette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with your bed. A bit more info would help.
You might start to look for a wire that could be cut and shorting out. Does the fuse blow as soon as you put it in or when you try to lower the bed?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #3

Thank you! YOu can't see any wire. All that you see is the fat c oil wire that connects the bed. The fuse blows when I start the bed.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

I had it an an RV shop and when we put in the fuse it blew up his whole shop!!!! Everything went dead
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You definitely have a short, if you had that type of reaction at his shop. Without knowing your coach I can't tell you how, but you need to get it apart enough so you can see the motor and wiring harness. Replacing the fuses and having them blow like that is inviting a fire.

Hopefully some one else will chime in with their thoughts.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not knowing what coach you have it'll be hard to get an answer. In the Owners Forum above you can have perhaps better luck if you post your question there. There are not many questions answered here in the New Member check in forum. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your problem!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Paulette,

I assume you have a Safari Trek. There is lots of bed information on the Trek Tracks forum. No cost to join, and many people who can help with your problem. Once logged in, use SEARCH to access information, and provide your year & model Trek in any post.

http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/portal_content.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauette View Post
Does anyone know any information about this bed? Mine is stuck 3" from the top and won't come down. I blew 4 fuses trying to get it to start. Is the motor most likely blown? If so, the manual says it was a Somfy 540R 2 motor. I looked this up online but without being able to see the motor that is in there, under the mattress that I can't get to, how would I know I am buying the right thing? Has anyone dealt with this issue? both RV repair places I went to did not know anything about this bed. In Sacramento, CA This issue caused my electric to be blown on the whole left side of the rig which already cost $500 to figure out the bed is the problem!Any help would be much appreciated!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
I had it an an RV shop and when we put in the fuse it blew up his whole shop!!!! Everything went dead
I assume the motor is 12V, or it would be unusable when not connected to shore power.
If it caused his entire shop to lose power, something many be shorted in your onboard main circuit breaker panel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

electro majic bed

Thanks to those of you have replied!!!! It is very much appreciated! Hopefully this means my bed problem is not the motor. I am still waiting for my two RV shops to give me a call back about it as I sent them your information. Any other suggestions feel free to weigh in! Thankyou!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #11

electro magic bed

Some have responded to my query about this bed but someone told me to put the coach and model on posts which I had not thought about, so I am reposting this. Does anyone know any information about this bed? Mine is stuck 3" from the top and won't come down. I blew 4 fuses trying to get it to start. Is the motor most likely blown? If so, the manual says it was a Somfy 540R 2 motor. I looked this up online but without being able to see the motor that is in there, under the mattress that I can't get to, how would I know I am buying the right thing? Has anyone dealt with this issue? both RV repair places I went to did not know anything about this bed. In Sacramento, CA This issue caused my electric to be blown on the whole left side of the rig which already cost $500 to figure out the bed is the problem!Any help would be much appreciated! I have a Safari Trek Pathmaker 1997
Old 02-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #12

Paulette.
As George said above, go to the Trek Tracks site for the info on your bed. IRV2 is a great site but for anything Trek related you need to go to the Trek site. You will not find a knowledge base anywhere that is even close to being equal. The members of the site have encountered and solved most any problem that could arise on a Trek. Go there now and have your answer by tomorrow or before. See you over there.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #13

My bed was doing that in my old rig and we had to push in the reset button on the end of the motor.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Pauette

Here is a link to a pdf that may be helpful to you: http://trekdocs.com/pdf_server.php?f...ectro_magicbed

BTW SMC, (Safari Motor Coaches), who originally used that type of bed called it/named it "Electromajic Bed" (not "Electro Magic Bed").

Here's a link to a "repair kit" which contains a replacement motor, drive adapter, and motor bracket for the Electromajic Bed: Trek Electromajic Bed Motor Kit

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote