Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would be highly suspicious of that corner having been hit and a half-a-- repair was done. It certainly does not look professional.

Ken
I know it looks horrid. But I'm 99% sure it's not damage or repair. It was just fine when I bought it. All the buckling and bubbling etc. happened over 3 weeks after several days of driving in rain.

And that's not rust. That's an aluminum panel. That's 'electrolysis' apparently.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #16

It almost looks like two or more attempts to drill a hole in the right spot... from the inside out to get the Romex through.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

That wiring is not to code. The RVIA has accepted the National Electrical Code-NEC, the ANSI, and NFPA, standards as the RV industry standard. Electrolysis is a chemical reaction caused by electric current. I assume that romex is carrying 12 VDC current, that is easily measured with a non-contact inductive meter, as it should be nothing until the jack switch is activated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That wiring is not to code. The RVIA has accepted the National Electrical Code-NEC, the ANSI, and NFPA, standards as the RV industry standard.
If that's solid core wire, (which that type of Romex usually is) I wonder how many times it can be flexed before it breaks? That is not usually used outside of house wiring that is stapled in place and remains immobile.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If that's solid core wire, (which that type of Romex usually is) I wonder how many times it can be flexed before it breaks? That is not usually used outside of house wiring that is stapled in place and remains immobile.
Hmmmm....you guys got me worried.

The manufacturer has seen these photos. There's nothing wrong with the wire according to the owner of the company. It goes to the electrical jack.

He thinks it's a water leak because of improperly maintained seals while it's been on the dealers lot for two years. However, that doesn't explain the speed at which this happened (2-3 weeks). It only happened once I started using the camper and had current running through to power the fridge, water pump etc. That's why I still think it has something to do with a combination of electric current and (possibly) water.

Is there any way I can find the true cause of this?

Thx
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #20

One thing I can say is that if they used ordinary household romex cable, it is only approved for indoor use in dry locations. You should be able to find the type designation on the jacket. The caulking and sealant seems all messed too. I think it might be wise to take it to an independent RV repair shop and get them to inspect it and give you a written report. May cost a few dollars but well worth the professional opinion.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #21

That looks like marine romex. It's usually tinned & stranded. Probably used for 12VDC. Are camper jacks ever 110VAC? Never had a camper
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
That looks like marine romex. It's usually tinned & stranded. Probably used for 12VDC. Are camper jacks ever 110VAC? Never had a camper
Learned something new today, marine romex reads like great wire, thanks for the information.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote