Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electronic door locks

I am considering changing my door lock to the new electronic units. Has anybody made this change. I don't like the idea that there are so many common keys used on RV's.
It does not give you a lot of security confidence. We're they as easy to install as the suppliers claim. I'm open to your advice.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

Good question, I've been wondering this myself! Can't wait to hear some answers
steph1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Me too
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Maybe I'm missing something I have a electric door lock which can be locked by a key fob or in the bedroom or by the passenger seat. The problem which you stated even though it has electric capability it still has to have a key in case it fails.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #5

The problem for us is unlike houses where keys are relatively unique, in an RV my key may work my neighbors camper. There are only so many different types of keys. When we needed a spare key to ours a few years back all we had to do was call a camper store and tell them the number on the key and they had them in stock. Along with a friend of ours rv key that we picked up for them at the store as well. They arent cut to your key, there already mass produced to work that lock. For me that scares me since I'm a women home alone a lot when my husbands at work.
steph1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The handle lock has a master key that will fit almost all handle locks. The manuf. do this so the sales lot can lock and unlock all the motorhomes with just a few keys. The dead bolt does not have a master key. I always told my customers to lock the deadbolt for safety. The bad news is, most drivers doors only have a handle lock. Anyone with a master key can come in through the drivers door. I always urged my customers to install a sliding latch on the drivers door.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

I installed an electronic lock [RVlock] by The Mobile Outfitters approx. 9 months ago. I find this lock system to frustrating at best. Typically, you need to enter the code 2 to 4 times to either lock or unlock the door. I spoke w/ the manufacturer & they sent a replacement keypad which made no difference.

My wife states that if you're very careful & press directly in the center of each # the lock will activate properly. Easier said than done & I'm no klutz.

In our opinion, the lock installs easily, but based on the resultant irritation it is not worth the $.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most MH's are broken into with a crow bar, etc, not many if any by the way of a key.

I haven't seen any reports of items stolen from inside a RV using a key to gain entrance. If they want in, they will get in. Just depends how much damage you have to repair.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #9

Ours came with the electronic lock builtin. We love it as it makes it easier to lock and unlock the door. Do not have to carry a key around as well.

We have a spare key hidden outside if the lock does fail.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm just curious, as to the brand of unit installed in your RV. What is the best brand? The unit that I am looking at is from Lippert.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I'm just curious, as to the brand of unit installed in your RV. What is the best brand? The unit that I am looking at is from Lippert.
Ours is a Dexter. Not sure what the best is.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote