Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Embarassingly Silly Question #4 : freedom of movement with slides in

Embarassingly Silly Question #4 : freedom of movement with slides in

I've never even been in a rig that had slides. (this will be corrected soon as I start window shopping while I'm on the "mainland")

I'm curious, when the slides are in, can you still move around? or do you have to hop over furniture?

If there is a bedroom slide, and it is in, would you expect that the bed is pushed up against the far side?

If you stop for an overnight in a rest area or truck stop, and you don't put your slides out, is the quality of life on the inside compromised much?

I'm sure the answer depends on manufacturer, model, floor plan, etc.

PJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Are you asking about a MH or a 5th wheel or ?? The slide depths can be very different between a MH and a 5th wheel as the accessibility requirements differ greatly.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Are you asking about a MH or a 5th wheel or ?? The slide depths can be very different between a MH and a 5th wheel as the accessibility requirements differ greatly.

Rusty
I was not specifically asking about one or the other. In the search for my future rig, I'm still on the fence. So I'm intersted in both I guess. I hadn't even considered that it might be different based solely on MH vs 5th wheel.

Intersting.

PJ
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

In our Alumascape FW, which has one slide, you can get to everything except the TV/entertainment center when the slide is in. Our recliners will be crammed on the passenger side so it may be a little tricky moving around, but the entire kitchen, including the fridge is accessible, and there's no problem getting to the bathroom.

liz
Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

My brother had a '97 King of the Road 5th wheel w/opposing slides. Closed up, you could only go up stairs!

My '01 National, rear bedroom and living room non-opposing slides, only the path around the (cross ways) bed is blocked.

My advice would be to look at manufactures floor plans.

(What is the proper term for the cross-ways bed, anyway? Seems like I remember some kind o nautical term??)

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Our 5th wheel has opposing slides in the kitchen/living area. When these slides are in, they are within 1/4" of touching each other. These deep slides really open up the living area when extended, but only the fridge and pantry are accessible in the lower level with the slides retracted. The bedroom slide, in order to house a short king bed, pushes the bed under the dresser opposite it (the bottom section of the dresser slides in as the bed slides under it), so one would have to crawl over the bed to access the main closet. The bath area is accessible, however.

Obviously, access to all areas with the slides retracted isn't the primary design consideration with our 5th wheel. Motorhomes, on the other hand, are generally designed to allow one to pass between the retracted slideouts, and the slideouts tend not to be as deep for this reason.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

Port/Starboard vs Fore/Aft maybe?

But, seriously-

In our MH, slides in means you can't see the Main TV (But no effect on BR TV) and the front area feels a bit cramped, but is useable.

Bed room looses access to one side of the bed, but by no means makes it impossible.

As mentioned earlier, it has to depend on the floorplan. It WAS NOT a deal breaker for us, and the added space when you do open it up is a real treat.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

(What is the proper term for the cross-ways bed, anyway? Seems like I remember some kind o nautical term??)

H[/QUOTE]

Cross-ways would be abeam, and you would lay abreast of one another , and... oh never mind.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

Based on our experience with MHs, when the 'superslide' is in they are designed to allow free hallway access throughout the MH. However, as stated previously, when the bedroom slide is in, it does cut off access to the very rear of the RV. ....but that would depend on the layout of course. Best of luck on your search.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
How about Athwartship?
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #11

On our HR, the front slide has the dinette/couch arrangement and when closed, we have about 10 inches for access to kitchen and fwd. bath(sink, storage and toilet). The rear bedroom slide bed blocks the rear bath(shower, sink and toilet) when closed up. Love the bath and a half layout and is a big reason we bought it.Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
ours leaves an 18" aisle from the cockpit to the bathroom with both slides in.
It's very useable with either front slide out.

Opposing slide bedroom is basically useless with the slides in, though it is possible to squeeze thru the door and take a nap.

You really don't want to put slides out in parking lots or truckstops, way too tight in there, some kenworth jockey's gonna scream in there in the middle of the night and rip the side of your rv right off!
I always try to put her next to a curb if I'm gonna overnight in a parking lot, give me some room to slide something out.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #13

We have good access to everything with our slides in, totally livable. With the slides out, we can dance....
Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #14

Heartland RV Club
The front area on ours is good, we can get to the fridge and bathroom with a little sideways scoot action.

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote