Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a bad idea, I suppose..............but, depends on what part of the country you reside in, and where you parkyour RV. Where I am I can't keep food stock or water in the tank for emergencies due to extreme cold at certain times of the year. Also not always possible to move the motorhome from its parking place, for the same reason. For those who live in more temperate winter climates fine, just won't work for me as a year round emergency or get away source.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #16

For me in MN it depends on what the emergency would be. Most of the time I'm better off staying put in my house. But, I do keep the Travel Trailer near the door of the shed so I can be hooked up and ready to go in 15 minutes or less. I always have it full of propane, I can't keep the water tank full in the winter but, I have a gallon jug of frozen water setting in the bathtub and I have more I can grab quickly out of the house, and I have all the food out of there in a portable kitchen tub that I can quickly slide back into the RV in it's normal spot. So. I do keep it as a back up plan but, I can't think of very many emergency where I wouldn't be better off staying in place at home.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This all reminds me of something that happened many moons ago (Back before I had a class A) Power fail... Lights out.. I came home from work (Worked 3-11 PM) went out to the trailer, with flashlight, grabbed tub marked "LIGHTS" opened it took out some of the things Mr. Coleman contributed to my lifestyle. Fired them up and brought them indoors (in that order) and the house was thusly lit up like Christmas.

Daughter finished her homework, We turned out the lanterns and went to bed.

While the house was lit we had folks driving down the road, All but one house dark, Youd'd hear the screetch of brakes, and a car reversing, then they saw the trailer in the back yard and figured it out.

Next morning at school she turned in her Homework.... Only one to have it completed.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Like Clayobx, keep ours fully stocked, food and clothes, propane and fuel. Have 50 amp service at the RV. Rotate perishables and keep financial and personal records in a "bug out box" to go with us on an evac.
Best option with hurricane is to leave early, not many routes out of the panhandle, and they fill up fast..

After Ivan, we could not get into our neighborhood for 10 days, trees, debris, and powerlines down. (Fortunately the damage to the house was repairable)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #19

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Already used it that way this summer in the aftermath of the derecho. We had two close neighbors that had trees fall in their living room -luckily, the one outside our door fell in the neighbor's vacant lot. We had no power for six days.

Slept in air conditioning and DH had his oxygen concentrator and BPAP hooked up. We had lights and were able to watch TV. If we had needed to move out of the property, it would not have been a problem.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only real drawback to what I have set up is that we live in an HOA, and even though we have "cost free" parking within the property and about a 5 minute walk, we do not have access to power. Normally we don't do winter storage, just drain the water if the forecast is for any freezing weather. I have one of those calendar software programs set to remind me early in the A.M. on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays to do my check. Normally bring it up to the house, fire up genny for a while and do a general check of all systems.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do not have access to power do you have a generator (Either installed as in my motor home or portable as in Honda EU-2000I or Yahama EF-3600I)

So long as you can keep ye-old battery charged.

And with conservation a couple of five gallon Jerry cans of water can last till you get more.. Usually.

On the rare occasions when I have had to worry about freezing, That's more or less how I did it. I had about fifteen gallons on board in containers.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got a 5kw Onan in the RV and giving serious consideration to a 2kw Honda or Yamaha to keep here at the house and as a quieter back up for the RV when we do boondocking. Right now, water storage is 12-15 cases of bottled water stored in the garage but giving consideration to the 5 gal idea as a cheaper alternative.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #23

During Hurricane Sandy ourTT became a lifeboat when power was out for a week. Then other family members w/o power came to us when we got elec and they were still out and the TT became a guesthouse.