Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #1

Enclosed tank access

My wife and I have been looking for our first MH for months now and while we have narrowed the choice down to 3 or 4 units, one questions keeps popping up. Why do some manufacturers place the sewer connections in an enclosed storage unit (with a drain) while others leave them open to the elements?
Is there an advantage to either setup?
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfergie631 View Post
My wife and I have been looking for our first MH for months now and while we have narrowed the choice down to 3 or 4 units, one questions keeps popping up. Why do some manufacturers place the sewer connections in an enclosed storage unit (with a drain) while others leave them open to the elements?
Is there an advantage to either setup?
sfergie
IMO, that is a "non-issue".
Mel
'96 Safari, (with the 3" sewer hose connection "open to the elements")
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks Mel for the reply.
I was just concerned that if the drain is open to the elements it is also open to the random critter looking for a home, as well as the possibility of something getting damaged while on the road.

Sean
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sean, I don't think I've ever seen a MH with exposed sewer connections. I know that's the norm on TT's and 5ers.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
fergie, we have one now with the drain in an enclosed compartment. Have to take a screw cap off and pull the hose up through that hole to attach it. This is a pain since the hose must be forced to make a slight bend to attach. We use the 4 lug connector since the two lug we had would leak a some when dumping. The 4 lug (orange hose ) is stiffer and grips the outlet tighter.
The previous coach had a outlet outside below the wet bay. There was a cap, but the dump valves were inside out of the weather.
I cannot recall seeing a MH with an outside valve and drain system but there probably is. My concern would be water getting into the drain pipe past the valve in the winter and a freeze causing a cracked pipe. Other than this, I really liked the outside the wet bay connection. (so easy!!)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Space and style of MH. Having moved from Class Cs to Class As years ago, don't pay that much attention to Cs anymore, but don't remember seeing a regular or micro class C with compartmental sewer during those years and in reverse I don't remember seeing a Class A, 2004 and newer, with external sewer connections. Part may be due to the lack of height in the Class C units. I do remember having to replace the connections on a micro C because of dragging the system off crossing a BLM parking area at lake Mead.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

We are looking at a Jayco Greyhawk and they have the valves (grey and black) as well as the drain itself exposed.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
There are 2 reasons for having the drains enclosed in a wet bay.

One, road gators will destroy exposed drains (I know this for a fact on our 5th wheel we had)

Two, those enclosed wet bays generally have a heater with a vent to the wet bay to keep it from freezing (also an experience we had in the 5th wheel).
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfergie631 View Post
Thanks Mel for the reply.
I was just concerned that if the drain is open to the elements it is also open to the random critter looking for a home
Sean
Sean
Amazon.com: Duraflex 24652 Plain Termination Cap: Automotive

Mel
Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

Enclosed tanks

Maybe I didn't really explain my question well.
the valves and outlet in the attached picture are all enclosed in a housing where as some are completely out in the open.
Just wondering which is better or worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	71683  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

I don't think there is a better or worse. It pretty much depends on the design of the motor home. I currently have 3 Class C's, 2 of them have the pipes and valves exposed, the third is a basement model C - styled like an A with large storage doors along the lower sides. That C has an enclosed compartment similar to the picture you posted.
No critters would be making a home in the pipe if it has the end cap like mel s posted, unless they want to lay on top of a pipe.
I don't think that would be any more inviting than laying on top of the exhaust system.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12

Enclosed is better! As mentioned earlier, nearly all of the enclosed wet bay areas also have heat in them so that they do not freeze up the way that exposed ones will in cold weather. In addition they are protected from damage due to items thrown by the tires.

One major factor in the location of the dump valves is the location of the waste tanks of the RV in question. Since the dump valves have to be lower than the tanks, if you have a travel trailer or class C with the tanks mounted under the floor and somewhere outside, there is no way to put the dump valves inside because of gravity. Most class A motorhomes have a raised floor above the frame rails of the chassis and then "basement" storage bays below the floor and below the chassis rails. By doing it this way it is very easy to place the waste tanks just below the floor, leaving at least 1 or 2 foot drop to the dump valves with them inside of a heated and protected bay.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Enclosed is better! As mentioned earlier, nearly all of the enclosed wet bay areas also have heat in them so that they do not freeze up the way that exposed ones will in cold weather. In addition they are protected from damage due to items thrown by the tires.
SKP Kirk
On my coach the 3" sewer hose connector is exposed and visible when my wet bay door is closed. (as is less than a foot of 3" sewer pipe).
However the dump valves, and the remainder of the sewer pipes, are enclosed in heated compartments.
The exposed portion is empty, (except when I am dumping the tanks), and has not been damaged in 133k miles.

Would I prefer an enclosed sewer hose connector?.......YES.
Do I think it's anything to be concerned about when choosing a coach?..... NO

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #14

My class C has the black tank on the passenger side and the sewer pipe below the frame rails. The outlet is about half visible below a locking door that protect the valves, but must be open to be hooked up. We just about scraped off the black gate valve getting into a national forest campsite, and it took all of our leveling blocks to avoid taking it off to get out.

I would probably pay more attention to that on our next rig, but it wouldn't be a show stopper.

For winter, I'll just buy some extra rv antifreeze and put a gallon or two in the black and gray tanks and make sure appropriate lines are empty. Shouldn't be a problem.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank