Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

End of the Road

I write this in complete despair. This is the end of a lifetime of RV treasures.

I’m 84 years old and starting camping in 1957 in a tent with an ax and a Coleman stove. As time went on, I went from tent to home build pop up, to 20 ft. Shasta TT, to a host of travel trailers. Finally I arrived at “Motor Homes.” Three motorhomes later, the end is here.

They say that. “If momma ain’t happy, nobody is happy. I lost my first two wives to disease and accident. My third wife ain’t happy with this MH. After 58 years “on the road”, I’ll sell the MH and determine what to do about the DW. It didn’t end well.

Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to hear the bad new's,
But maybe you should reconsider and it might be a blessing, I just went thru it and in the end I'm going Motor-Homing this spring.
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wil, ya had a good run. Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you got another time water planned? I go crazy just sitting around. Woodworking? Model trains?
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

Hope all works out for you young man. I am sure you have memories that others can only dream of. Best of the best to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear this story. I don't know what I will do at that time myself. I gave up boating only because it got to be to much work. My DW really likes the ride and is 15 years younger so I hope she will drive me where I want to go. You should be really proud to have be so fortunate to traveled so far so long. Peace Brother.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wil01,
You are making a tough decision. Consider this. Instead of selling the coach consider purchasing a lot in an RV resort that you can both agree on. Then park the coach on the lot. It will be a place both of you can go and still enjoy the coach and being around folks that also enjoy RVing.

I see you are on the SC coast. as an idea, consider the Smoky Mountains are a place to purchase a lot. There are quite a few resorts on both the east and west side of the Smokies. Now you would have the ocean/beach environment and the mountain environment. For me, this is the "cats meow".

I've been all over the Smoky Mountains. PM me if you would like some suggestions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Short stories of travels and adventures and misadventures. Publish in a book form and any photos etc would add the enjoyment of reading. Lot of people would ghost write it if you don't feel confident enough to undertake it. It would be like doing it all over again.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi wil01,
You are making a tough decision. Consider this. Instead of selling the coach consider purchasing a lot in an RV resort that you can both agree on. Then park the coach on the lot. It will be a place both of you can go and still enjoy the coach and being around folks that also enjoy RVing.
That's a great idea and much better than my idea of selling the wife and keeping the MH, I mean you've been with MHing much longer....
Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I write this in complete despair. This is the end of a lifetime of RV treasures.

I’m 84 years old and starting camping in 1957 in a tent with an ax and a Coleman stove. As time went on, I went from tent to home build pop up, to 20 ft. Shasta TT, to a host of travel trailers. Finally I arrived at “Motor Homes.” Three motorhomes later, the end is here.

They say that. “If momma ain’t happy, nobody is happy. I lost my first two wives to disease and accident. My third wife ain’t happy with this MH. After 58 years “on the road”, I’ll sell the MH and determine what to do about the DW. It didn’t end well.

Wil
Hi Wil, it does not sound like your DW is interested in RVing at all anymore? Reading your post......I am thinking you should make your "Determination" before selling your Coach
Why not keep it, and if you want to go out for a week......go
Old 02-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We just started RVing two years ago. I can imagine all you have seen! What a life!

I hope you can dig up some fishing trips with your friends and tell your wife to go shopping for a few days! don't give up the ship just yet! Best of luck, I can only hope to see half of what you have. If it makes you happy, keep doing it. It's very hard to give up the things we love as we age. Don't do it until you really want to. ((())))
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #11

Sounds like time for wife number 4

Whatever you decide - thank you for your strength and determination. I wish our kids had the moral and work ethics of your generation. We would still be a great country!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #12

hey Wi
Your story sounds just like mine. We even wound up with the same MH. If I'me lucky I might make it another 4 years and hang it up at 84. It'll be a tough decision though. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

Have a nice day - Darrel l
Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being an old fogey myself and RVing just as long I would say keep the moho for short trips with friends or family or even solo. But I would not sell or totally quit.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #14

If put in that situation I would either downsize to a smaller class C or one of the mini class A's (Thor Ace)

Or something along the lines of what someone above said, buy a lot or it may be better to get a seasonal site and a park model or large trailer. This way as you get older you won't have to worry about driving a big rig. You could sell your MH and get a park model for a fraction of what your MH sold for and save the rest or buy a nice convertible to drive to the park model.

It's really tough when your wife doesn't like one of the main things you are into, and if she doesn't like it you'll be going a whole lot less. That's the reason I'm boatless at the moment.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote