Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Ending discrimination gas is older RVs

A senior citizen couple ( the husband in his 90's the wife in here 80's) pull up to an RV park in the Florida keys in a mid 1990's class C Motorhome so shiny and fancy you'd think they were millionaires. After driving 3500 miles. Their ready to settle in for the winter and just want relax and enjoy the ocean view. The RV is fully insured and in premo condition. "Sorry your RV is to old" the voice of the park attendant rings out. The couple in fury go to the local newspaper who publishes the story. The RV park receives multiple lawsuits and permanently goes out of business. Nearly of 3/4s of the legit RV kingdom owns older RVs. Well kept, fully insured, and made from much higher quality materials than many of today's RVs. So why is it that the RV industry continues to illegally discriminate against older RVs. Especially ones in extremely good condition. Most of the RV kingdom is made up of older RVs. So how can we bring a stop to this discrimination once and for all. In Pahrump Nevada the center hub of the snowbird industry where RV park owners are getting filthy off of renting to RViers of all kinds, why would other RV park owners continue to cost themselves business, when others are making a killing off of the massive influx of snowbirds that are inundating the southwest U.S. And how do we create laws to bring a stop to this for those who don't want to be millions of dollars in debt just to own a new RV.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is NOT illegal to set rules for you privately owned RV park, that is not "age discrimination" since it doesn't have anything to do with the RV owners age.
In fact a lot of RV parks are "55 and over" and they don't have problems with laws over it.
As to what you can do about it: Find someplace else to stay!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
A senior citizen couple ( the husband in his 90's the wife in here 80's) pull up to an RV park in the Florida keys in a mid 1990's class C Motorhome so shiny and fancy you'd think they were millionaires. After driving 3500 miles. Their ready to settle in for the winter and just want relax and enjoy the ocean view. The RV is fully insured and in premo condition. "Sorry your RV is to old" the voice of the park attendant rings out. The couple in fury go to the local newspaper who publishes the story. The RV park receives multiple lawsuits and permanently goes out of business. Nearly of 3/4s of the legit RV kingdom owns older RVs. Well kept, fully insured, and made from much higher quality materials than many of today's RVs. So why is it that the RV industry continues to illegally discriminate against older RVs. Especially ones in extremely good condition. Most of the RV kingdom is made up of older RVs. So how can we bring a stop to this discrimination once and for all. In Pahrump Nevada the center hub of the snowbird industry where RV park owners are getting filthy off of renting to RViers of all kinds, why would other RV park owners continue to cost themselves business, when others are making a killing off of the massive influx of snowbirds that are inundating the southwest U.S. And how do we create laws to bring a stop to this for those who don't want to be millions of dollars in debt just to own a new RV.
I am not aware of any laws (local, state or federal) against age discrimination as it relates to RVs. But I'm sure I don't know all the laws all over the country. Can you post links to some of those "RV age discrimination" laws?

And according to Google maps, it's 3454 miles from Seattle to Key West. Where did this "senior citizen couple" drive from? And why didn't they make reservations before driving so far?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Just popped a fresh bag of popcorn and I'm gonna sit back and watch the show!!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Troll Alert !!!!
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
Just popped a fresh bag of popcorn and I'm gonna sit back and watch the show!!
Don't bother. Same show, different day. You've seen it before.

Why doesn't anybody ever go after SS or Medicare? Now there's some age discrimination for ya'. Or how about parks where you have to be over 55? Or how about movies where you have to be over 17? Or buying beer, cigarettes or entering into a contract? Come on there's plenty of "age discrimination" that nobody ever brings up.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

My take on it is the park owners can set whatever rules they want, and it will not stop until the owners of the sub 10 year old coaches realize these rules hurt the resale value of their $400,000 coaches.

Having said that if I ever win the lottery, I plan to buy a brand new custom coach, and have it painted school bus yellow, and then visit some of these exclusive rv resorts.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
where is the link to this so called story
Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
where is the link to this so called story
exactly.....

Newspaper, lawsuits, going out of business ---

It's a private business.
No different then restaurant with 'No shirt, No shoes--No Service'

No different then 'No PETS allowed'

No different then 'No more then 6 per CG site'

No Different then 'Only one vehicle per site'

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

Some people just aren't happy unless they're offended by something, real or imagined!

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:59 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been doing our annual Snowbird to Phoenix for years. Last year, the place we normally stay at, Phoenix Metro RV, informed us that they have a new policy, no MH older than 2000. I asked the lady at the desk to look out the window and guess what year my MH was. We really enjoyed our stays, but it looks like last year will be our last year there.

I understand why these places do this. They don't want their property to turn into a junk yard, and then they cannot attract high end customers if their property looks like a junk yard..

Since we'll no longer be spending the winter at Phoenix Metro RV, we looked around and found a newer and nicer place, thats quieter, AND, less expensive.. Thank you Phoenix Metro RV.

The new place we found, Cotton Lane RV Park, doesn't have a year limit, but they do look at condition. We spent a couple weeks there to check them out and was parked next to a 1995 Monarch DP that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This topic is so overblown it’s ridiculous.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I don't agree with limiting by age of RV but I do agree with them having the choice to refuse service to rag tag units that are unsightly and unsafe. They have every right to operate their business as they see fit. If they are really so uppity as to refuse me someday because of park rules I will turn around and give my money to someone else but I will never have that issue because I take care of my equipment and it will always look good or I will trade it in. Easy Peasy.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My unit is over 10 years old, so I am "one of those".... The last thing I need is a law to "protect me". Seriously? It has wheels, move on.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, rvs, scr