Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #15

i still disagree as if the tape shorted which means quit working as it needs two sides to draw power..if one of the legs shorted it has to quit...but i am not an electrician...heat tape is essentually a short to make heat and if it burns out or "shorts out" it quits working which means no draw...jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #16

No draw would be an open condition.

However a heating strip can short out at some point in the strip resulting in a lesser resistance due to the location of the short, thus drawing more energy and having uneven heat.

Best here is to measure the loads, either with clamp style meter or timing the rotation of the risk in the meter, one can see what the high loads are from that
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #17

@beenthere
I don't have the time or inclination to fully explain, but maybe this link will help.
Power loads - Balancing Electrical Loads - Unbalanced Loads
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

I have a heated water dish for my dog. I've been told that it cost me 7 bucks a month just to keep it going. If you add up enough small loads you get a big electric bill.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I have a heated water dish for my dog. I've been told that it cost me 7 bucks a month just to keep it going. If you add up enough small loads you get a big electric bill.
Hey, Caveman!

If you keep coddling yer dog, it might get all soft- not to mention run up your electric bills...

Here's how my "Camp Hell-and-lovin'-it" rat terrier gets water when the temp gets below zero:

Click image for larger version

Name:	A drink of REALLY hard water.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	33290

When it's cold outside, the rule is: if it's not solid, it's not dog water!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #20

from what i read there is no "extra watts to pay for " just balenced loads so your bill is the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
@beenthere
I don't have the time or inclination to fully explain, but maybe this link will help.
Power loads - Balancing Electrical Loads - Unbalanced Loads
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #21

Not everybody is on one of those peak demand power measuring systems though. My brother has one his farm because it is the only way they would sell him enough power to run the grain dryer. But, they told him he would hate it and he does. I still have a old meter with a wheel in it that spins at my place and I have to write down the numbers every month and send it to the electric company so they can figure out the bill.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
YC1

So what is everyones definition of a high electric bill? I have a 1500 sq foot home and pay about $500 a month. Two hundred of that is gas. I had electric meter at one campground and paid about $75 a month for our 40 footer.,

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #23

Agree I have 2400 ft last bill was $177 when I full timed electric was .14 per kw bill was barley over $120 in Texas heat
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #24

Hi

He doesn't accidentally have his block heater turned on and running 24-7 does he? That will add up in a hurry.

Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
So what is everyones definition of a high electric bill? I have a 1500 sq foot home and pay about $500 a month. Two hundred of that is gas. I had electric meter at one campground and paid about $75 a month for our 40 footer.,
I would call that extremely high. My home electric bill only is about 175. And, that's really a lot higher then it should be. I could cut 50 a month off of that with just a few conservation measures. (Oh, and I have a electric water heater, kitchen stove, and I live in the country so I burn propane for heating fuel)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #26

Wouldn't bad battery's cause the charger to work harder? Therefore more electricity.