Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 108
You have been given good advice

The folks here have given you good advice. I wish you well. I know what you are going through... I just blew the engine in my GMC Yukon (Overheated, cracked the head) Its only going to cost $2500 to fix... I guess I should feel lucky!

I do wish you well and hope that the warranty and replacement issues are resolved to your satisfaction,
__________________

__________________
EMDF9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bakersfield CA
Posts: 257
Sorry for your bad luck. Do you know what the selling dealer's 30 day warranty covered, was it just for the chassis and running gear or was it just for the house? Without paper work it is difficult to pin point what is covered.
BUT as someone else stated, do not start the repairs until you get things squared with your selling dealer. It would not to expensive to have the coach taken back home to the dealer's repair facility of choice.
__________________

__________________
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
I exchanged some text messages with the dealer and he never questioned the 30 day warranty. In the mean time I opted for a used engine option instead of a remanufactured engine. As a bonus, it comes with most of the extra parts I would have had to buy with the remanufactured one. So the total price now comes at a little over 6k instead of 11k, which is more manageable. Also the used engine would be at the ford dealer tomorrow and hope to get the rv back by the end of Friday instead end of next week with the remanufactured engine.
The rv dealer initially proposed that I would drive the the rv back back to him and offer to get the engine replaced with a used engine or trade the rv with a newer class C he also had on his lot. The problem was that I am 633 miles away and towing would cost about $2000 dollars. We would have needed a one way car rental would ha been the end of our vacation on the east. Since he had mention earlier that he could do an engine swap for $3500, I asked him if he could contribute $3500 toward paying for the replacement engine by the ford dealer here in Ohio. He offered to pay $2500 as this would have been hi internal cost.
I asked in reply if he would agree to pay $3000 but he has not replied.
I appreciate that he never questioned his 30 days warranty so this part was a non issue.
As for the amount of contributing to the replacement by Ford I would have happier with more but find it better than nothing.
I also feel better to have a the job done by a Ford service department.
__________________
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,541
Well, it sounds like it's getting resolved but it sure ruins the good feelings over owning an RV! It sure did dampen our enthusiasm for the Magna!
Personally I'd have gone the rebuild though.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
A missing catalytic converter should have set off a check engine light. Same with too high of fuel pressure, and an over-rich condition. Something does not add up since the dealer supposedly changed the exhaust (and therefore emission system).

Sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing. Hopefully the 30-day warranty is in effect and you will be saved the considerable expense of engine replacement.

Even if the dealer tries to back out of the repairs, if the dealer messed with the exhaust and emissions system, he could be very liable for not only your damages but also EPA related fines.

BTW, an excessively rich mixture will cause catalytic converter failure. So by the dealer removing the cat, they did not fix the root cause of the problem, only treated the symptom of bad cat. IMHO you were sold a defective MH where it had pre-existing problems that were not disclosed and I might even infer were hidden from you. You should be wise to get some legal advice here, it may end up in court.

The tech person at the Ford service also believe that the original catalytic converter was damaged by the too rich condition and that the dealer only treated the symptoms by removing the catalytic converter and did not try to fix the root cause.
The RV dealer manager at first suggested that the no compression on two cylinders could have been caused to a sticky valve. They also replaced all spark plugs and coil packs which I thought At the time of purchase was a good thing but now realize was probably an unsuccessful attempt to fix a known problem.
So I would believe that Indeed a pre-existing problem was not disclosed and hidden from me.
As for getting legal advice I am not sure if I want to get a lawyer involved or just be satisfied to get something toward the cost of replacing the engine.
__________________
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,892
I understand your wish to have this sorted out, but I would seriously try and get the rig back to the dealer and get your money back. I doubt you can count on this dealer doing what is right in terms of selling you a rig that has been serviced/modified so as to benefit the dealer. If that rig of yours had held out an extra 9 days it sounds like you would have been stuck with the costs. Try and get your money back and go find another rig from a reputable dealer. Think about having the next rig inspected. Good luck.
__________________
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I understand your wish to have this sorted out, but I would seriously try and get the rig back to the dealer and get your money back. I doubt you can count on this dealer doing what is right in terms of selling you a rig that has been serviced/modified so as to benefit the dealer. If that rig of yours had held out an extra 9 days it sounds like you would have been stuck with the costs. Try and get your money back and go find another rig from a reputable dealer. Think about having the next rig inspected. Good luck.

I should definitely have had the motorhome inspected before purchasing or at least just after, and before my first trip with it.
As for this one, we really like it and found the layout to be ideal for us. I never found anything I liked better when we were searching.
__________________
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 524
What a headache and heartache. Hope something good is coming for you
__________________
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
I should definitely have had the motorhome inspected before purchasing or at least just after, and before my first trip with it.
As for this one, we really like it and found the layout to be ideal for us. I never found anything I liked better when we were searching.
Problem is that even that might not find anything. I know of one Magna like ours (although an '08 but also a 650 hp ISX) that Cummins worked on ($22,000 in repairs) that threw a rod through the crankcase about 20 miles from the shop. Cummins refused to participate in the about $50,000 in repairs. On ours we had a oil analysis that showed some moisture and high iron but that was due to not being run enough. Then the engine dropped a valve in #6. There's just no way to catch a valve about to break before it happens it seems.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,920
I think that if you can pay the $6000. for the repair without the selling dealers money, get that done, enjoy your vacation and save any emails from him.

Do not accept any offers or money from the dealer until you are back in town, standing in front of him, with all of your expenses in hand.

He sold you a doctored MH knowing it had defects and offered a warrantee. His offer to you is probably the profit he made on the sale.

If you take that offer, the only one who took a loss was you. I think he needs to jack up the offer, just to keep you from disclosing what he has done. Just a threat of legal action may help him offer you more.

Even having it towed to him at $2000 would have saved you money if he only covered the repair.

Just something to think about.
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,455
I noticed that in your discussion with him, it appeared the doctored (if it actually was) catalytic converter was never brought up. I agree with the poster who stated that you would best served by getting your money back. I would tell the dealer that the inspection by the shop where the motor home is currently located has brought up several issues that potentially have legal ramifications for the selling agent. Then offer to have him reimburse you for the cost of the motor home, including licensing fees and sales tax, and he can take possession of the vehicle at its current location and you will drop the entire matter. I would use e-mail for that, as well as sending him a registered letter (over night mail) that will require it be signed for that details all the conversations that have occurred up to this point. You are still under the 30 days.

Unfortunately your vacation is already ruined, don't compound that problem by holding on to a motor home that has major issues.
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
89sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 884
Don't forget the cause of all of this needs to be found and corrected when the replacement engine is installed or you will be right back where you are now. If you checked independents you could probably get a rebuild installed for very close to what you are paying for a used engine from the dealer and most of these come with a nation wide warranty.
__________________
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
I exchanged some text messages with the dealer and he never questioned the 30 day warranty. In the mean time I opted for a used engine option instead of a remanufactured engine. As a bonus, it comes with most of the extra parts I would have had to buy with the remanufactured one. So the total price now comes at a little over 6k instead of 11k, which is more manageable. Also the used engine would be at the ford dealer tomorrow and hope to get the rv back by the end of Friday instead end of next week with the remanufactured engine.
The rv dealer initially proposed that I would drive the the rv back back to him and offer to get the engine replaced with a used engine or trade the rv with a newer class C he also had on his lot. The problem was that I am 633 miles away and towing would cost about $2000 dollars. We would have needed a one way car rental would ha been the end of our vacation on the east. Since he had mention earlier that he could do an engine swap for $3500, I asked him if he could contribute $3500 toward paying for the replacement engine by the ford dealer here in Ohio. He offered to pay $2500 as this would have been hi internal cost.
I asked in reply if he would agree to pay $3000 but he has not replied.
I appreciate that he never questioned his 30 days warranty so this part was a non issue.
As for the amount of contributing to the replacement by Ford I would have happier with more but find it better than nothing.
I also feel better to have a the job done by a Ford service department.

__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #42
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,887
Sometimes you just have to do what's best for YOU and that occasionally isn't solving the end problem ... but it gets you back on the road and your destination and vacation.

For sure I would be sitting down with him on return and have a further discussion. He may want you to sign some sort of agreement that you have accepted his offer and the deal is complete. Be real cautious here and understand his lawyerese 'weasel' words fine print.

Additionally, it really isn't done if he has done an emissions delete or sold a vehicle with one - a phone call will open a bag of worms for him that will cost a lot more then your repairs. Then there is the fact that you legally can't sell or trade that vehicle yourself with a delete. Many diesel owners have done deletes, added a performance module and then gotten the bad news that a dealer wont take it on trade a couple years later.

Good luck
__________________

__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine died after 15 seconds. ladagobago Cummins Engines 5 11-01-2014 08:58 PM
Adding more power vs safety to engine Smitty77 Cummins Engines 15 10-13-2014 09:06 AM
Check Engine light adonh Caterpillar Engine Forum 25 06-28-2014 11:03 AM
Check engine light questions RClifton Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 5 05-20-2014 12:12 PM
The Doggone Yellow Check Engine Light (C.E.L.) troth Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 05-06-2014 10:05 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.