Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Engine blowout 3 weeks after purchase

We just bought our first motorhome and were 500 hundred miles into our first trip when the engine died while driving at 65 on the highway. The diagnostic by the Ford dealer where it was towed is that the engine is ruined and it will need a new engine. Estimates for the engine plus parts and labor is $11k.
We paid $20k for our 2002 class C Jayco greyhawk less than 3 weeks ago. The small dealership said there was a 30 days warranty but I don't have the purchase paper work with me as We are stranded 500 miles from homes.
I am looking here for some advice on how to handle the situation. My first phone call today to the dealership has not yet been returned and I was not able to talk to the manager yet.
Should the RV dealership where we bought the motorhome pay for the engine replacement? That would be my assumption since we are still within the 30 days warranty.
I suspect however that this is not going to be that easy. What kind of recourse can we have? We signed the final paperwork hastily and I don't remember signing a specific 30 days warranty clause. Even though the manager talked several times about it during the buying process.
I plan to follow with updates in this thread. However it is resolved I believe our story could be useful for other buyers.
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2
Sorry you're here with big problems.

Your going to need it in writing , is there anyone at home with access to the paper work , that could scan you through a copy?

EDIT: Don't have any work started, the dealer may want to tow it to his shop.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #3

A round trip plane ticket is cheaper than a $11k motor. Go get paperwork along with your ford dealer quote and go see the dealer about your 30-day warranty.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

IF, there is a 30 day warranty, I would expect the selling dealer will want to have the MH looked at, at his choice of repair stations. I would also expect that the selling dealer will/may want to do the engine replacement, if that is what is needed at his location. A lot of dealers get 'special' pricing on major repairs such as this and will want to keep the cost down.
Either way, please keep us all posted as to the out come. Good luck!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I agree....don't do a thing until you reach the dealer and get instructions around how they want to go about fixing this. And if they don't answer your calls in a reasonable amount of time, send e mails....Start a paper trail immediately.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
500 miles is not that far to rent a car, get the paperwork and meet with the dealer face to face. If you have an attorney, do contact him and advise him of the situation before the 30 days are up...expressed or implied on the warranty. As with any contract, "time is of the essence". Sorry to hear of the problem, but age has a way of showing it's face.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #7

Hope it works out for you, if you end up paying out of pocket I would contact a local independent and at least get a second opinion. I would see how much cheaper they will do the job for. Also look on the bright side you could have a diesel and be looking at more than double...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

We will call again and start email tomorrow morning. The dealership is 633 miles from here. Towing expenses would be quite significant I assume.
Also rv dealership told us that they had replaced a "pipe" on the exhaust system. The ford dealership told us it was the catalytic converter that was removed, most likely because it had been damaged by the untreated condition of the engine.
I assumed they must have known about the bad condition of the engine and I know they attempted to fix them by replacing the spark plugs and coils. According to the ford dealer the cause was unusually very high fuel pressure that caused a succession of problems, including damaging the catalytic converter and eventually the total failure of the engine.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, it happens. We got almost home when the ISX blew (2,600 miles after purchase), no warranty and no service policy as the paperwork to apply for it arrived after the engine went. And you really don't want to know what it costs to rebuild 3 out of 6 cyl on a big diesel!

You will need to go over the sales paperwork and find the warranty info. If it's not in the paperwork then you have nothing to go on. In our case we had signed an "As Is Sale" paper as part of the contract.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #10

One good thing about having an engine done at a Ford dealer is North America wide warranty.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You will need to go over the sales paperwork and find the warranty info. If it's not in the paperwork then you have nothing to go on. In our case we had signed an "As Is Sale" paper as part of the contract.

We refused to sign the as is sale we were presented as they told us there was a 30 days warranty. Yet I don't recall seeing the 30 days warranty in the paperwork we signed.
We'll learn more tomorrow
Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
We refused to sign the as is sale we were presented as they told us there was a 30 days warranty. Yet I don't recall seeing the 30 days warranty in the paperwork we signed.
We'll learn more tomorrow
That's good that you didn't sign the As Is paperwork. Most dealers will refuse to go through with the sale if you don't plus there's usually a binding arbitration clause in there somewhere so you can't even sue them. Hope you find the 30 day warranty info!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

The dealership may want it towed back to his shop, because it sounds like they tampered with the emission control system by removing the catalytic converter. Not sure an auto repair shop can do stuff like that.

He may also want it back so he can blame it on operator error.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, Welcome Aboard!

Sorry for your problems and hope the dealer steps up to the plate if not for the total cost a good portion of it. As already asked, keep us up to date with what's going on. Good Luck!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, purchase