Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Engine Oil Analysis Results

Lab: Oil Analyzers Inc
Engine: 2000 Cummins ISM w/86,000 miles since new
Oil: Amsoil AMO 10-40w changed 3000 miles and 14 mths ago. No make-up oil added.
Oil Filters: Full Flow position - Fleetguard# LF9080; Bypass - Fleetguard# LF3542, both filters changed 3000 miles and 14 mths ago.
Air Filter: Fram CA7230 changed 3000 miles and 15 mths ago
Lab Comments: Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval. Oil is suitable for continued use.

WEAR METALS(ppm)
Iron 6
Chromium 0
Copper 0
Tin 0
Lead 0
Nickel 0
Alum 0
Tin 0
Silver 0
Cadmium 0
Vanadium 0
CONTAMINANT METALS(ppm)
Silicon 5
Sodium 1
Potassium 0
MULTI SOURCE METALS(ppm)
Magne 0
Titan 0
Molybdenum 0
Antim 0
Mang 0
Lith 0
Boron 3
ADDITIVE METALS(ppm)
Magnes 9
Calcium 3666
Barium 0
Phosph 1199
Zinc 1376
CONTAMINANTS
Fuel Dilution <1%
Soot Vol <.1%
Water <.1%
FLUID PROPERTIES
V100C(cSt) - 14.5
Oxidation(abs/cm) - 58
Nitration(abs/0.1 mm) - 6
TBN(mg KOH/g) - 9.40

We have put another 2000 miles on the engine since this sample was taken(7/12). We plan to leave the oil, air & oil filters in place and resample in March of 2013.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If I were using Amsoil oil, I think I'd have my analysis done at a reputable, independent lab. Like Blackstone, for instance. Oil Analyzers Inc is Amsoil's lab. Just saying.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Oil Analyzers uses Polaris Laboratories, a reputable independent laboratory. Amsoil contracts Polaris to supply Amsoil customers with sample kits, analysis and results under the Oil Analyzers name. I would continue with the Polaris lab as the are familiar with Amsoil's chemical synthetic oil and for historical comparison with your previous results.

Your oil and engine seem to be in excellent condition. You may never have to change your oil again if confirmed by annual analysis.

Confirm with Fleetguard that they recommend/warranty using their oil filters longer than 1 year in your application. Many companies do not as filters may fail after a years service.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I wouldn't have my oil analized by anyone who has an interest in which brand of oil I use. Would be interesting to see a side by side analysis with Amsoil's lab and Blackstone.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Just for the sake of arguing, next time take two samples and send one into your lab and the other to Blackstones.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Just for the sake of arguing, next time take two samples and send one into your lab and the other to Blackstones.
It's been done before. Blackstone vs. Amsoil - Oil analysis comparison - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

As expected, no significant difference.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I just can't believe "0" in all but Iron.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Second..

I will say this.. Given the info in this thread, If I were to use Amzoil (Which I have in the past just not in the motor home....yet) and their lab was to tell me "All is good" and it turns out that say a thousand miles later the mechanic tearing down the engine says "Why didn't you just change the oil".

I'd be inclined to call Dewy, Cheatum and Howe Attornies at law (Fictional firm thank you 3 Stooges).

Thus I suspect Amzoil's lab is giving honest reports.

HOWEVER, Suspect is not the same as Convinced (just ask any cop who looses in criminall court, There Convinced = Convicted and many defandants walk due to lack of conviction) (Used to be police dispatcher)

Thus the 2 labs idea is an excellent one.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Pennzoil was the worst oil back in the 70's. Use to pull valve covers and almost always completely gummed up, but it was rated the BEST back then.

I think it was regular oil with STP in it. Remember pouring that out in cold weather?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I just can't believe "0" in all but Iron.
0 is not truly 0. Likely in the less than 0.5 ppm range, thus rounded to 0. They will re-analyze the sample and perhaps lower the detection limit for free if the customer asks. Low metal wear is to be expected when using Amsoil chemical synthetic oil and bypass filtration at 3000 miles as demonstrated for the past 40 years.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #11

bullhockey
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #12

I have sent samples to both Blackstone and OAI(Polaris) before. OAI is more conservative and says to change the oil sooner than Blackstone.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

Lonestarace, thank you for posting your UOA and other information.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Somebody fill me in here since I'm new to this sort of thing. Is this a great report for a million mile capable engine that has only been run for 3,000 miles over the last 14 months?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote