Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Rebuilt or new old stock?
Rebuilt 7 43.75%
New old stock 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "new" 8.1 cost $14,000 installed in Aug 2010, probably pretty high but I've heard of some who paid more.
They told me it was labor intensive because they had to take the front end off and drop it out the bottom. After I suggested to the Mechanic they took it out and put the new engine through the driver door. No reduction in labor cost for me though. This was a Chevrolet dealer.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #16

for my own info, what were you doing at the time? usually the only ways for a valve to hit a piston is over reving the motor or timing chain sliping (nylon timing gear). sorry to hear about your problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Are these short blocks or complete engines ?
They are complete engines.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
for my own info, what were you doing at the time? usually the only ways for a valve to hit a piston is over reving the motor or timing chain sliping (nylon timing gear). sorry to hear about your problem.
The only thing that I can think of is we were driving a pretty long incline? But I kept my eye on the temp and dont think the rpm's got to high. Never noticed a loss of performance while driving.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #19

I would go with the New complete, or better yet have (A GOOD MACHINE SHOP) rebuild yours with good HD american made parts, but it will be pricey. With off the shelf rebuilts there is no telling what you may get (mismached parts, sleeved bores, welded heads). However the 8.1 GM engine is a reliable engine, like others have said what caused the problem. I take care of a fleet of 300 GM trucks used in construction some with 250K on them and we rarely have engine problems. As far as the 07 new motors are concerned as long as they have been in the crates as shipped from the factory and stored indoors they are fine.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #20

when you said you broke a piston. where was the piston broken. the doom or the skirt? one of the causes of breaking the skirt is making a cold engine high rev. and or pull hard. is it your habit to let the engine come up to operating temp. before driving?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re-built can mean one of two things.. I know of Re-buiders who label it "Re-Manufactured" this means the engine is fully up to manufacturer's original specs, it is as good as a brand new one, possibly better. Re-built, however, may not be as good.

Warranty is good.

Now, as to the broken pistion, Some owners chip the blazes out of their engines (Various performance improvement devices, schemes and systems all "guaranteed" to give you better performance and better MPG, Usually by Fly-By-Night guarantee corporation) NOTE: I am not describing either Banks or Ultra Power here, but the hundreds of "no-name" outfits that are here today and gone tomorrow when your engine blows.

Redlands, once told of a short period of time when not one but SIX Workhorse owners came in with identical piston problems, 3 had the Ultra Power upgrade (Redlands ate the cost on those) 3 were stock (Workhorse covered it) .

Brazil's has done the same for some of their customers, These are the #1 and #2 Ultra Power dealers (Do not ask which is #1 cause I do not know)

Banks I've never heard thigns like that about but they do stand behind their product.

IF The engine has had "modifications" other than the UP or Banks systems.. I'd see if that mod can be reversed.

In one week I spoke with the national service manager for Workhorse (Who told me of a much modified 8.1 with a hole in the pistion and how he'd had to deny warranty) and a Customer Service Rep for FORD, who told me... The exact same story with a Ford Sportscar instead of a Workhorse.. Same level of "Upgrade" and the same damage.

The rest of the Workhorse story is funny, but I"ve tole it already. (The local ASC told me they could not gat a part in less than 2 weeks so they could not do a recall.. Alan handed me the part, and his card, not 4 hours later.. Turns out I was on his way home from work 2 weeks later I handed in the part, stuck to the card.. Amazing the service I got from that service center after that, Alas, till they went out of business (Closed by GM).
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
when you said you broke a piston. where was the piston broken. the doom or the skirt? one of the causes of breaking the skirt is making a cold engine high rev. and or pull hard. is it your habit to let the engine come up to operating temp. before driving?
I do let the engine warm up some befor I drive it. I think it broke on the top. I had it towed to a new shop last week and should have some news this week.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here was our's at 19,000 miles. cant find the pic. Later

Mike