Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Perhaps the op would benefit from your experience if you would care to expound. None of us resents differing opinions, as long as they are properly stated. Just saying...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think if you want to start your diesel MH, go ahead and start it, and to bring it up to temp. just idle it up using the cruise control to around 800 to 900 RPM, and it will come up to operating temp.
What everyone said is true to some extent, they just left a lot out!
But, for sure, the best way to get them up to temp. is to drive them, and idling is really unnessary!
Idling them to cool them off after a hard pull, is a very good thing to do, and only takes a few min.'s, and usually by the time you pull off the interstate ramp, and into the fuel island, or a rest area, you have cooled it enough to shut it down!
It never hurts to ask? Rail!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #17

well i do stand by my opinion and ya theres stuff left out like oil temp ect.. if you think its gonna take 100's of thou miles off then dont.. i drove OTR only for yr but you'd have a hard time buying a truck that didnt run all nite..{again my opinion}which makes all fluids and block same temp as if it was never driven previously..i know motor home drivers say no,and im sure if there puttin on more than mill miles it may be so,, but if you dont do it 3 times a day or so even once.your not gonna hurt it..those pistons and walls are well lubed.. and starting often even makes for less oil drain and better for starts..i was not trying to start anything just given my opinion. heck theres as many on one side as other. i could swear [without looking] that its mentioned in rngine manual
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

When I start my Truck in the AM it dosen't get shut off till quitin time, fueling, the idle gets kicked up to 1000 so the Turbo will get oil correctly, in 44 years of Transporting Heavy Equipment I have never replaced a Turbo, inframed my current Cat C15 Acert @ 715,000, thats a good 1.4 million miles on a OTR Truck, There, I have said this before only to be referred to as "INCORRECT" most likely by a person that sat at a desk for 30 years, bought a DP and read the book........
Old 10-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
When I start my Truck in the AM it dosen't get shut off till quitin time, fueling, the idle gets kicked up to 1000 so the Turbo will get oil correctly, in 44 years of Transporting Heavy Equipment I have never replaced a Turbo, inframed my current Cat C15 Acert @ 715,000, thats a good 1.4 million miles on a OTR Truck, There, I have said this before only to be referred to as "INCORRECT" most likely by a person that sat at a desk for 30 years, bought a DP and read the book........
DM,
I defer to your knowledge and years of experience, however, to start a cold engine and let it idle, is nothing like letting a hot engine idle while fueling or sleeping. I'm a big fan, and your scenario supports this contention, of limiting the times that my engine has to start and warm up. You and I both do so by idling while fueling. Certainly, when I'm on the road, my engine never sleeps. Shutting down at the pump island just make it more likely you can't start and get going; if I can't start, I want to be someplace with beer and a pool.

So, OP, I'd not start the engine for frivolous reasons like using the onboard compressor to pump up a floatie. I have a kick start pump which works well; it's an old fashioned bike pump and a grand son. (KICK!!"Get out there and pump up G'ma's floatie!")
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
this is all new to me, i have been parked for a week, jacks down, slides out, air dumped, is it ok to start the engine and run it for a little while?
johnny1
As you have seen there is no right answer to that question.

My 3126 Cat powered, (now 148,000 mile coach), has never been run for a "little while"....(I only start my engine if the coach will be driven 25 miles or more to thouraly warm everything up).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #21

I don't have an issue (nor does my equipment) Starting the Truck or Coach to move it out of the gravel covered area on to the concrete to tinker, but no, not to blow up the raft for the pool.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I see 1000's of diesels run to work everyday short distances. But common knowledge is any motor gas or diesel wear is at startup. Diesels unlike gas can set months if not years and still start fine. That all said unless there is a reason to start any motor, move, charging, testing something, I will not start a diesel just to hear it rattle.

LEN
Old 10-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #23

"DM,
I defer to your knowledge and years of experience, however, to start a cold engine and let it idle, is nothing like letting a hot engine idle while fueling or sleeping."

i think if you had an oil temp gauge you would find that the oil goes to a temp like if you warmed at high idle.{but no reason to is not good}. like your tranny.. and i never said start for no reason ...if you have a purpose then why not...now just to run it i agree , why would you...i only tried to make point of like airing or moving,or its gonna wear it out, ect. so to the OP no dont just start it like said above to hear it rattle.or bother the neighbor.and i should have stated in my post.but dont be scared if you have any purpose[without bothering others].. i think we all agree on many points, at least the ones that matter.. and i think frivolous to one and important to another is another thread.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

Doesn't anyone read their Manuals any more? My Cummins says do not idle for more than 10 min on the DPF/DEF, post 2007/2010 engines.
It's never been good to cold start, and not get up to running temps.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
every dodge pickup with the isb would likely be junk very soon...if you cant start n stop em...and same one in many coaches .. but this is actually only my opinion and others have theirs so pick one..
Another old wives tales. Like parking the tires on mats in your garage and greasing the Johnson rods monthly. Some folks are just a wee bit anal retentive with their ride. Reminds me of some of my pals on the Yamaha motorcycle forum I frequent occasionally.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine