Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Ensuring water quality?

Total newbie question,how do you ensure water quality and taste when full timing around the country? Do tou just drink bottled water and use city water for showers and sinks?I know different places have water quality issues just wondering what advice you can give,and what experiences you have had with differing water quality?
Thnks
JD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

We are not full timers, but always use bottle water for drinking

Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

We just drink whatever water is available at campgrounds and filter it. We have never had a problem doing that. In my opinion, bottled water is expensive and usually is just filtered tap water anyway.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdkmd View Post
Total newbie question,how do you ensure water quality and taste when full timing around the country? Do tou just drink bottled water and use city water for showers and sinks?I know different places have water quality issues just wondering what advice you can give,and what experiences you have had with differing water quality?
Thnks
JD
Jpdkmd
I believe that all water from every municipal water supply anywhere in the U.S. is safe to drink.
If you're paranoid, (or if you don't like the taste of the water you get somewhere in your travels), drink bottled water.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've only hit two RV parks that had really bad smelly water in the past 30 years or so. That doesn't mean more don't exist...just that they are few and far between.

I do run a bit of water out of the campground hookup first and smell it.

We use bottled water for coffee and drinking. Everything else we use the campground water.

I don't use any filters on my inlet, just a pressure regulator.

You definitely need a pressure regulator.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

As Mel says municipal water should be regarded as safe. The big difference is dissolved minerals which can significantly affect taste. If you are very concerned about this whole coach softening and RO systems are available.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
cwf

We "prefilter" as it leaves the spigot and enters our "drinking water" /city water hose.

The hose is treated with Clorox liquid bleach after each trip where Trailer will be stored over 5 days. I fill Jose with water, add a1/2 oz. of Clorox then screw the ends together. Flush before attaching to trailer city water.

This is a good way to "introduce" chlorine to your "city" supply once in a while. Add the Clorox to the hose then attach. Never had a problem.

Water for drink or cook is run thru an "ever pure " filter.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

We use a triple filtering system. One of those blue things (this........ http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-Ta.../dp/B0006IX87S ) on the hose. Then there is a cartridge filter built into the rv ( I am about 90% that it is only used if i pull from my fresh tank and not when i go direct from the campground water source) and then we use brita water pitcher for drinking water. So filtered twice from campground and three if i use my fresh water tank.

If we have any doubts or feel the campground water looks not as clear as we would like or has any odor we will put it in the rv fresh water tank so it get one more filter before we drink it. I have faith that 99% of the water in the USA is fine to drink and will not harm us. It just might not be as clear or have no smell.

Once we had a campground that had water that was almost milky looking ( ok not almost, it was, even after sitting in a glass for 30 min) but seemed to smell and taste fine. I had come in with no water so i had to use it. By the time it went through all three filters I could have bottled it myself and sold it for 2 dollars a bottle.

I rotate which filter i change. I since I use the fresh water tank for any questionable water I am also pretty good about flushing the fresh tank with a little bleach in it now and again.

Bottled water is a waste and uneeded. In fact what i do is overkill but i never have smelly drinking water. Filters are a lot cheaper than bottled water, weigh less and take up a lot less space.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use a 5 micron prefilter charcoal, then the water softener
then after that, all drinking and ice make water goes through a reverse osmosis system.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

I use two cannister filters; a sediment filter and a bug filter. After those I use a water softener as needed. So far so good.

And to think we used to just drink out of the water hose in the yard.... LOL
Old 07-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

We used an outside filter and kitchen sink filter. We full-timed for 16 years and love public parks and boondocking so we got our water from many sources. We always drank and cooked what came from our fresh water tank via the kitchen faucet. . . didn't buy bottled water.

Here's an excellent site to learn all about RV water filtering:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

Ensuring water quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We used an outside filter and kitchen sink filter. We full-timed for 16 years and love public parks and boondocking so we got our water from many sources. We always drank and cooked what came from our fresh water tank via the kitchen faucet. . . didn't buy bottled water.

Here's an excellent site to learn all about RV water filtering:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Full time for 8 years and have used water from all over the country. I agree with Mel who posted about the safety of water systems all over the country. Even campgrounds who use wells are mandated in most areas to have a daily water testing program and a treatment system.

We use a two filter head system that all water entering the coach flows through. That contains a sediment filter and a charcoal block filter. Drinking water comes from a frig tap and that goes through a third filter. This winter I'm planing to install a UV tube with the whole house filters.

x2 on the RV Water filter store.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #13

Am I the only RVer concerned that multiple water filters, (or even a single filter), might remove all of the chloride in municipal water...resulting in unprotected tank water?
Or are water filters so smart that they leave everything beneficial in the water and filter out only things that are potential harmful?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari, (no water filter).
Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Am I the only RVer concerned that multiple water filters, (or even a single filter), might remove all of the chloride in municipal water...resulting in unprotected tank water?
Or are water filters so smart that they leave everything beneficial in the water and filter out only things that are potential harmful?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari, (no water filter).

My filters are just before the water enters the house plumbing from either the tank or shore. True the water actually in the pipes when the demand is turned off is chlorine free but that's a tiny volume and only there for a short time. I agree that I would want a chlorine component in the fresh water tank.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, water