Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #15

I have a bit of a problem I'm looking to fix. On my slide in, there is a front window. Everybody knows that sooner or later they are going to leak. Well mine has! The outside gasket that keeps the window in place has came apart in its no good anymore. I had went to a glass company with the gasket and was told there is no way of getting a replacement. The guy told me to just put some black silicone and trim it out. I'm sure that would work somewhat, but for how long?

Now this is what I'm thinking to fix this problem once in for all. I still do have enough EPDM to cover the front section. I did try to find a complete replacement pannel with no luck though. So, I plan on taking a piece of plywood and set that in place of the window, then come back with the EPDM on top. Problem there is there is no way of getting a match of the siding. Another way would be to remove all the siding to the point were it starts to tuck under and install plywood over the complete section, then cover that section with the EPDM.

What do you guys think of this plan?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might want to consider a stainless steel strip and screws for roof seams front and back if needed.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #17
GPW

Question : Does anybody ever water seal the wood roof components before covering ??? Seems to make sense huh ?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Question : Does anybody ever water seal the wood roof components before covering ??? Seems to make sense huh ?

Dicor, the MFG that makes the glue and produces EPDM roofing states not to paint the plywood. Now I did call them due to the fact that the siding is alummun and they do tell you to call them in that case. Well, to glue down the EPDM to other then plywood, one has to apply glue to both surfaces and let it dry. It turns out to like contact glue.Then roll it into place. Do not streach it.

So today I did go with my second plan. I did away with the window all together. It was a bit of a pain in the back side due to the rolling at the top, but I got it done. The EPDM roofing is installed! Now I am waiting for some alummun strips to finish off the edges on the front. I am planning on using the old gudder strips that was on before. My plans at this point is to apply EPDM around were the over cab seams are under the strips there. The way one applys this stuff, it doesn't come off easy. So my thinking is that once I do that, there will be no way water will be able to get in that area.

Now good and bad news for me. As of today, I'm offical retired due to my health. This was something I didn't really plan on just yet. I'm only 53 and the wife is 50. I will be able to pick up medicare for myself, but still will have to go out and buy insurance for the wife. Man, what would I do just to go back to work.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
fishfighter, sorry to hear about your forced retirement. I have followed your post and with your good work ethics you should be able to figure something out to fund the wife's insurance. Maybe Medicare? I don't know much about this stuff, but I know of folks that just don't want to work that manage to get health benefits. I do know you can expect to have to apply several times (expect a rejection the 1st time). No facts in my reply - just encouragement. You have a wife, a daughter, and a RV with a new roof - you will always have work to do and someone with you :>).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #20
GPW

Fish , now I can agree with not "painting" the plywood , but on all my TT and TD builds , I use a mixture of 75% Mineral Spirits , and 25% Polyurethane to seal all the wood, preventing water intrusion in the long run ... Contact cement , roofing cement or paint can be applied over this easily later , and any leaks that develop over time are much less of a problem with the dreaded Rot ... Well tested over the last 40 years ...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #21

Thanks Tom, it has been a real let down being forced into retirement. The good thing is that the wife and I been watching our first grandson. My daughter is a full time DVM and her hubby works all the time. So we get him 4 days a week. A great joy for us. Now only if my son would just tie the knot. He has been milking the same cow for well over 8 years and they just don't want to get married. Young people, what do they know!

GPW, I can see that that could work maybe if its good and dry. The Dicor glue is a latex base glue so I really would have to call them due to a chace of any oil left over from the mineral spirits.

Now I did get the alummun strips in today. Only problem with that was I had to take the wife to the doctors for a broken shoulder that she had done a few weeks ago. That and I myself was feeling a bit under the weather. Guess the 100F has a lot to do with that. If I feel better tomorrow, I plan on finishing up everything on the outside shell. From there I will be doing the inside bringing it up to date. This side in is a 1987 with dark colors. I'm looking to brite it up inside. When I build the new roof, I had add more 110v power supplys for more lights. When I redo the walls, I will be installing more and up to date lighting there too! For the head/ bathroom area, its yellow. Something really needs to be done there for sure.

The history behine this camper was that I bought it last Sept for $1000. I had put a lot of work back then rebuilding the wing over the cab. That was a big job! From there I had a good fondation to build on. Back then, everything on board work fine. Then all hell broke loose and I had got sick which shut down everything for me till about 3 weeks ago. I'm feeling a bit better now that the doctors are getting my CRT-D pacing to the tune I need to be, but I still have those very bad days when I'm just beat and today is one of them.

On the pictures, I did take a bunch, but each one is well over 2 MB. I don't have a program to were I can down size them, but I will try to find one.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #22

Lets see if I got these pictures down sized. The first one is the start. The second one is laying out the 2x4's that were cut to have an arch at the center line which is about 1/2". The third and fourth show were I had put blocking for the A/C, bathroom vent, pipe vents and ladder along with a rack that goes along the back. And also blocking for lighting in different areas.

More to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	12680   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	12681  

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	12682   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	12683  

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #23

Few more pictures. The new roof, roof off the camper and the inside I'm planning on updating.
I have more I will post later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	12684   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	12685  

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	12686  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
fishfighter, What window did you do away with? I was expecting it to be the one in photo 24 - the over cab window that, after time, seems to leak on all class c's and inserts. Good job on the refurb. (and the photos).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #25

Tom, yes that is the window. Its gone! I will get some more pictures up on the progress. It was a HOT SOB today. Well over 100F with a heat index at 117F. I had to call it a day at noon and didn't finish what I planned. There is always tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
GPW

NICE work Fish !!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #27

A couple more pictures. I'm a bit more done. In fact I am hanging trim up, but this is the front section that I did away with the window.

Today, I will get the outside completely sealed up along with installing the A/C which is sitting on the roof right now. That way I will be working in AC changing out the panneling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	12707   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	12708  

Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #28

She is sealed up along with the A/C running. I did pull the counter top out along with a few other things that needed to get out my way. I will be pulling panneling down tomorrow. Now I just wish it would rain to see if I have any leaks. Guess I will have to throw a hose on it.