Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

EPDM rubber roofing

I have a question about this rubber roofing. Has anybody install this? What I'm getting at is, what type of adhesive one uses? Can one just use contact glue? The cost of the glue from the MFG's is well over $60 a gallon plus an easy $35 just to ship it. I was able to buy the EPDM local at a very good price, but that was thru a clearance house. They didn't have any glue and didn't know what was what when it came to using contact glue or not.

I had did a roof job on my truck camper last Oct and now it is starting to leak. My plans are to rip off the metal roofing, apply 1/8" luan plywood and then install the EPDM rubber roofing.

Any help? Thanks!
fishfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact a local roofing supply company and they may have everything you need on hand.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The glue is critical. Use the wrong stuff and it'll deteriorate the rubber. Call the manufacturer and ask them. I'm sure there's a reason for using their glue.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is one you can try.
CertainTeed corp.
620 Aero Dr.
Shreveport La. 71107
318-677-2701
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

Best Materials Roofing Supplies, Caulking, Sealants, Roofing Materials, Roof Repair, Waterproofing, and Fasteners
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed a new roof system, complete w/ luan on our previous RV, a 28 ft class C. Don't cut corners on adhesive, butyl tape or lap sealant for all the roof venting. I went w/ dicor products, try searching around for price, had excellent results w/ tweetys.com. 3 years after install, not 1 bubble or leak. Trust me, it's not the type of job you will want to redo over a couple of gallons of glue!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Well I did try to buy it local and nobody had it. So I had order it off the net. I have some Dicor adhesive coming along with the tubed glue.

I'm still building the "new" roof. This time I am setting it to were it has a high spot on the center line. Its small,about 1/2" high. I will post a few pictures of the build when I get a little free time. Its just so hot outside. I have to change atleast 3 times thru the day. Oh, did I say I have a bad heart along with a CRT-D implant. My new buddy that I got a couple months ago. So things are a bit slower for me now.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #8

FISHFIGTER,
take it easy. The heat can really do you in. Do it slow, and enjoy your project once it is done.
JB.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #9

I did get some work done today on the "new" roof. lets see if I can post a few pictures.

Well, I tryed, but having trouble up loading pictures.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EPDM RV Roof Replacement Project

Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

DAP Weldwood says their product works on rubber and leather, so probably ok. But I would not want to use a contact cement to lay roofing material - there is no "working time" with contact cement. It grips instantly when the surface comes together. You want a slower bond adhesive that lets you slide the fabric around a little, smooth out wrinkles, etc.

Bite the bullet and get the stuff designed for EPDM roofing. You are going to do a invest a lot of labor and depend on the results to keep you dry, so do the job right.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #12

I had order a Dicor kit Late Wensday and sure enough it was in Thursday afternoon. Its the latex base glue which I had talked to an RV guy to use. I did a web search on how to install the roofing and I'm a very handy person from building boats to houses. This project has a lot of planning behine it to the point that I had took the time to set "blockings" in place were even the vent pipes will have some meat to screw the capping to.

Yesterday I did get to the point of wiring it along with getting 2 sections of the top glued, screwed and nailed down. I had to stop due to weather. We had a down pour all afternoon. I'm building the "new" roof under my carport. The wife is not to happy with me were she can't park there, but she will get over it.

Today, I'm hoping to finish up with the new roof to the point were I will be able come Tuesday or Wensday to install it.

Can someone point me on how to post pictures?

Oh, this is some of the work I had to do in the rebuilding of the wing walls. It was a major rebuild in itself.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/roof-leak-72648.html
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #13

Some pictures.

Can't do it due to size of each picture. They are running 2 mb or bigger. I will have to get my daughter to show me how to down size the files.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #14

Just an update. I have a new roof over my head as of yesterday. I still have to install the rubber on top which will be done today as soon as daylight comes. There is a 50% chance of rain in the farcast for today.

I am running into one problem. That is were the roof and the front of the camper meet together. There is no weather strip there. My plans are to install a 1"x1/8" alummun bar across. Only problem there is I try to buy it Saturday, but the shop was out of it. They will get some more in Wensday. So I will still install the EPDM, but leave the front clear of glue were it over laps the front. I will staple it in place so as to be able to pull everything in place and come back later, pull the staples,add glue, restaple and then install the new weather strip. This should work, I hope!

I still haven't had my daughter over to show me how to downsize picture files, but I will.