Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #1

Epic first trip in the new RV is turning out to be an epic disaster

Hello I’m sitting at a dark and rainy truckstop in eastern Kansas right now alone. Yesterday the trip started out good we actually left on time. Unfortunately by the time we got to Indiana something really terrible had happened. We almost lost the toad. Not exactly sure how it happened maybe with all of the road turbulence but the metal that connected the bumper to the vehicle ripped out on one side and was only hanging on by one bolt on the other side. It’s crazy. Strangely enough this happened on the interstate the exit right after where my brother lives. We pulled over and we managed to get it unhooked and strapped the bumper back on even though it was pretty scary a lot of traffic was flying by us. But we got lucky at the very next exit I pull the RV into a truck and tire and towing place and it was a big garage and they look like they could do welding and they did and they welded the bumper on for $55 so Ron was able to drive the Xterra. Im driving the RV. So we have to separate because he has to be in Denver at 8:30 AM this morning to have the fabricated bumper fixed. and he has to fly and drive most of the night to make it there. I can only do about 65-70 miles an hour in the RV. So I’m driving a lot of the day by myself it’s hot out and the air conditioning stopped working! So I am driving a metal sweatbox for hours. I stop for dinner take a shower and get back on the road and I drive till about midnight. I pull into this truckstop that I’m at right now I’m just on the west side of Kansas City Kansas. Ron made it to Colby Kansas The generator start acting funny it’s making a weird rattling noise but it’s working. I also noticed a weird clicking noise behind the switch box or fuse box and not sure what you call it and it seems like something is trying to turn on but it’s not turning on. So now maybe somethings wrong with the generator. Super! And I try to turn the air-conditioning on but it just won’t turn on. We decided that we should turn the generator off because it’s been running for most of the day yesterday and so I don’t have air-conditioning but I have a little fan so I try to get some sleep. Middle of the night it starts raining and I’m in the elevated bedroom so basically my head is almost up against the ceiling. So it’s raining on my face basically. The truckstop is full and I see people double parking so I do the same and think well nobody can park behind me but I was wrong when I woke up this morning there was a semi truck still in front of me and now a huge semi truck is triple parked behind me blocking me and preventing me from reversing. I will eat some cereal and take off unfortunately I didn’t put my almond milk in refrigerator and it’s warm so now I’m eating warm soggy cereal. It’s dark and overcast and raining and I’ve never driven the thing in the rain hopefully it will behave. 😢😢😢
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC20640B-16CD-435E-9532-D5F05EFBE3EA.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	246364  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, I'm very sorry you have had such a mis-adventure. Never fun. However, I'm scratching my head on a couple issues.

The first is whether you have a hitch that is properly rated to tow the Xterra? It appears you have a 5,000# rated hitch but perhaps that is not correct. A quick look at some Xterra specifications shows it is over 5,200# If you have a hitch rated more than 5,000# then scratch that question entirely.

The second is this. How do you have the tow bar attached to the Xterra? Was the tow bar attached directly to the Xterra bumper instead of a base plate? If you have a base plate then it would appear the installation was faulty.

I hate to pile on but perhaps there is more to the set up that needs to be looked at before you try again.

GOOD LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

So sorry for the multiple failures! Then bad weather. Please be careful in the rain. Generally the greatest danger is other drivers. Slow down a little and allow more space between your RV and other vehicles.
One thought, we have used a mobile RV mechanic and had a very good experience.
Most RV parks will be able to recommend a good one. Best of luck to you.
Again, so sorry for such a miserable trip! Please keep in touch!
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #4

Hopefully one day you'll look back at this and say it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was while it was happening. I know thats what ive done many times.
My humble advise is to keep a clear mind and focus so you do not make any mistakes to make the situation even worse. When u make your destination i always feel better if i make a list of everything i think needs repair or evaluation. Its usually not as long a list as I thought it would be. Let us know if we can help we’re here if needed. Best of luck from here on your journey.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Things like this make great memories. [emoji38]
Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

I hope that you take this in the spirit as it was intended..
I have went back and looked at your previous posts and it appears that this is your maiden voyage, or very close to it.
Do you have the manuals for the coach and the chassis?
Do you have the manuals for all of the sub-systems such as the generator, jacks, water pump and heater, electronics, inverter and all that neat stuff?
Have you went through all of the systems and found all of the switches, relays, breakers, and fuses for each system?
Now, have you "test camped" the coach by completely setting it up and staying in it as you would out on the road, both with hook ups and boondocking? Have you serviced and tested out the generator at home? The "weird clicking" sounds like it may be the transfer switch and could be anything from a loose wire to a fried coil.

As for the Xterra, can you post pic of the front bumper and the attachment so we can see what you are talking about?

We're all sorry that your epic trip has turned into a nightmare and we will try to help you as best that we can.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Sorry to hear about all the problems, and I don't want to come off as preaching, but you may want to reconsider your decision processes.

First trip an epic one? Not a good call. Short trips close to home first, to identify issues and learn the quirks of each rig.

Driving all night at high speed, just to make a repair appointment?

You are driving in bad weather after driving late and a restless night in a stressful situation.

These are high risk decisions that too often precede drama. Slow down and be safe.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't you just love Murphy?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

The hurry-er I do, the behind-er I get.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

Agreed, just relax and don't rush anything. Stuff happens.

First thing that popped into my mind was this old movie I haven't seen since I was a little kid.

tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for your support. After a long day Ron, the toad and me a d the RV have been reunited. It took longer because of a gas issue. There is a post on this forum where I’m freaking out asking for help. Again. I had to get that fixed before I could fill er up. I got lucky and a man working at one of the gas stations I was trying to fill up at directed me to a Boss service center and the mechanic figured is was the fuel filler hose must have shifted or moved and the fuel was not flowing properly. I don’t know whatever he did worked and I didn’t get charged a lot. And they noticed a headlight out so they were good in my book. Ron made it to Denver, got the custom bumper reattached and welded on even better than before. He said this time they used stronger metal and more welds than before. Ron said the equipment was appropriate for towing weight but it was done several years ago and due to all the off roading and wenching he’s done over the years it weakened the frame horns and that’s what snapped. Or tore. The gennie is running and I didn’t hear the cracking this morning it was making last night but decided not to test it while I was on my own. The clicking near the fuses is still happening. Ron said it might be a faulty automatic reset breaker. That’s just a theory. Will check the inverter. We are staying at Golden Gate state park in Colorado tonight and should make it to Moab tomorrow as long as nothing goes wrong. HA!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93F74EAB-7B2B-4A5D-9757-F99817078BD5.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	246463  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

I have tried several times to upload more pics but I get the message photos not found. I have an iPhone. Has this happened to anyone? I want to share more pics. Maybe I’ve uploaded too many?
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire7 View Post
I have tried several times to upload more pics but I get the message photos not found. I have an iPhone. Has this happened to anyone? I want to share more pics. Maybe I’ve uploaded too many?

Ensure the app has permission to access photo library. Go to Settings>Tapatalk (if using the app), and click on read/write access.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #14

If you haven’t yet solved the solenoid clicking problem you might open up the house battery compartment and just move wires around and see if the clicking occurs. That’s how I found out that the battery isolator wire from the BIRD device to a solenoid deep in the compartment was never tightened. It was causing intermittent charging problems and occasionally I would hear the solenoid click for no reason. Just tightened up the 5/16 nut and all was fine now.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote