Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Epic road trip in planning, need advice...

So, right now my brother are planning an epic road trip around North America once classes are out for the semester.

The trip is going to be up the CA coast to WA, across the country, down the east, and work our way back through the south.

I have some stops planned but I need advice, not just on stops and roads, but essential gear.

This is basically an on-road trip.

I have my 09 Toyota FJ, ARB Bumper, spacers in front, KN filter, cyclone pre filter, dual battery (will be finished by then), stock skids and bling plate (will be reattached by then), Hella 500s on bumper, NavComputer, OBD2 monitor (so I can keep an eye on trans temp while towing), fridge in car, and Airlift 1000 in back springs.

The '12 R-Pod 177 trailer is already outfitted and I've added a second battery and solar. Only thing I don't have is a generator to run the A/C, so I think I'll skip that.

I'll bring basic tools, wrenches, ratchets, impact driver, fuses, fluids, first aid, ham radio, cb, compressor, jump-starter thing, etc.

Any other suggestions?

This is the first real trip besides in AZ that I'll have towed a trailer on.
compubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #2

That is such a guy list! LOL . Are you bringing anything needed to actually sustain life?

Sounds like an awesome trip.

PS -bring money, lots of money. and enjoy!
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
money and a sense for adventure!!! have fun and enjoy!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
That is such a guy list! LOL . Are you bringing anything needed to actually sustain life?

Sounds like an awesome trip.

PS -bring money, lots of money. and enjoy!
I pride myself on my cooking so that was all expected.

I made this on a whim for my family...so sustinance is coverd
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind there are about 4,000 Walmarts in the lower 48 states. Anything you forget can be picked up along the way.

This will be a trip you tell your grandkids about 50 years from now.

Have fun!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by compubmw View Post
I pride myself on my cooking so that was all expected.

I made this on a whim for my family...so sustinance is coverd

Pic didn't show the first time, and it ignored my pic for some reason.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
When you get into the south and you don't have that generator, you will regret that you didn't get it. It is HOT and HUMID in a lot of places in the south. Once you get into the southwest it is just plain HOT. I would rethink the about not getting a generator. Other than that one item the only other thing I can think of is MONEY and lots of it.

Jerry
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Leave half your "stuff" home double your budget, no,-triple the money. Can't predict adversity so don't even try just enjoy yourself, take lots of pictures. Greet people with a smile they will smile back or think you are over the edge and won't bother you. I think a lot of us would like to squeeze in and go along.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
When you get into the south and you don't have that generator, you will regret that you didn't get it. It is HOT and HUMID in a lot of places in the south. Once you get into the southwest it is just plain HOT. I would rethink the about not getting a generator. Other than that one item the only other thing I can think of is MONEY and lots of it.

Jerry
I'm used to 115F in the shade, I've done DC in the summer, and Orlando in a hurricane. So I'm not worried about heat and if it becomes an issue, I just make sure the campground has 30amp service.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you do the South first and try to take advantage of the cooler spring weather. As I kid I watcheed 'Route 66' and figured a buddy and I would do the same thing. Then someone told me about costs and the money this would take. Oh well!!!
Enjoy your youth young man!!!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what it's worth we figure about $100 a day covers everything on a trip lasting a month or more and going around the country...about 7,000 miles for us.

That includes fuel, food, campground expenses and some sightseeing expenses for two people.

I average about 7 MPG and figure about $3.75 a gallon for gas.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Suggest you do the South first and try to take advantage of the cooler spring weather. As I kid I watcheed 'Route 66' and figured a buddy and I would do the same thing. Then someone told me about costs and the money this would take. Oh well!!!
Enjoy your youth young man!!!
I second that!! I live up in Washington and even though we are finally seeing the sun and temps this weekend up into the 60's I would take advantage of the warm spring weather down south. The eastern part of the country on our latitude are still dealing with snow and cold weather. By the time you would swing around up into the northern part of the country you should be in some beautiful weather.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
For what it's worth we figure about $100 a day covers everything on a trip lasting a month or more and going around the country...about 7,000 miles for us.

That includes fuel, food, campground expenses and some sightseeing expenses for two people.

I average about 7 MPG and figure about $3.75 a gallon for gas.
That must be 'new math'. Lets see 1000 gal at 3.75 (good luck) looks like 3750 or about 125/day just for fuel. Doesn't leave much out of that 100/day for food/campground/sightseeing! Just sayin....
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #14

FWIW last year it was hotter in Ms during the month of may than July and August. I've traveled quite a bit and have seen 117 in July in the SW and that doesn't hold a light to 97 with 86% humidity in La, Ms, and Al. A must stop if in the Fl panhandle is Indian Pass Raw Bar between Appalachicola and Port St Joe, it would definitely be a stop on my trip.