Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #15

I keep my "prop stick" right below the escape window. If I'm in a position that I have to use the escape window time is the overriding concern. We are lucky that we can sit on the dresser and then slide out the window. Yes it is a bit of a drop but a broken bone heals a lot faster that being dead.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #16

You are the only person who has actually tested their escape route and made it public.
I don't have such a ladder, and the big window in our 5er bedroom is 8' from the ground. The actual escape window is waay to small for either of us to exit, for that reason I store a hand axe in the bedroom. I will break-out the big window instead of burning while attempting to get out that 18" high X 24" wide "escape" window with a make-up counter below and cabinets just above.Come-on now, I haven't been that small (or agile) since high school, what are the designers thinking?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I was actually looking at our escape window the other day and wondered about it...

Maybe we should all just get a big foam outdoor lounge to store under our window and using our bed pillow to slide over the window ledge... we could fall onto that nice foam lounger
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
After thinking about my test experience for a while and remembering how difficult it was to try to get my feet on the steps of the ladder, I think I will modify my plan of escape!

I definitely will use the prop stick to hold the window up out of the way. That window is heavy and I don't want to be fighting it while trying to get out! The double notches in each end of the stick will make it really fast to use.

The top part of the ladder that hangs over the window will be great for holding onto while exiting the window. I think I will just use that to drop to the ground and not deploy the ladder steps. Since our window is only 7' above the ground it will be a very short drop while hanging from the top support of the ladder.

Hindsight is 20/20!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was just looking at our emergency exit window today and thinking I need a plan because there is no way my 6'2" 260# body is going to fit through that opening. At best, the opening is 18" in height. I'm about 4 inches too thick to get out! I know heat expands things so I'd need to lose about 6" of thickness. If I started exercising today I'll never be able to fit through the window. I think the design engineer at Forest River must be about 5'9" and 150# and thinks everyone is about that size.

The emergency window will work for the DW and the dogs, but by the time I get them out I'm probably toast (no pun intended) I'm going to add a couple of fire extinguishers in the bedroom and put them next to the emergency exit. Depending on location of the fire I could go about 15' from the bed and crash through our huge 5' x 5' window in the dining area. With my size; me, the table and the window should be on the outside on the ground quickly!

Due to the expense of a trial run I think I'll have to trust that my escape plan will work. I have to believe with flames toasting my backside, things I thought would be impossible may actually be possible!

I sure hope I never have to put the plan in action, but it's always a good idea to have a plan and be prepared to implement it if need be!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Our escape window is above the vanity and tilts out from the bottom much like Joe and Annette's. We keep a couple of refrigerator spring bars close by in the bedroom electronics cabinet to prop the window open.

We've discussed this scenario to some degree and neither of us believe that there will be very much time to react should a fire occur. The plan would be to prop the window open, place some bedding over the bottom edge of the window for padding. I will lower her out and then I will follow.

I certainly hope it never comes to that.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #21

We were instructed to get one of those ladders when we started fostering children and had them sleep upstairs (at home). We showed the fire inspector our problem and he agreed such a ladder would not work for us. Did I mention our children, since adopted and growing, are special needs and normally confined to wheelchairs, so they would not be able to aid in their own evacuation. And that applies to home or the MH. In the MH one child sleeps in the rear bedroom and one on the sofabed across from the main door. DW and I are near our 70's (me over, she getting close). The children are 170 and 100 pounds. We do a lot of praying for safety and try to understand our MH systems and keep them in good repair. Also several fire extinguishers front and rear that could buy us some time.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #22

Must not forget that when you aim the fire extinguisher towards the flames you're also going to create a lot of smoke which will hinder your progress if your not planning it. Your eyes will tear up and your lungs will tear up breathing all that smoke. All that and trying to get out is not fun.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #23

Good that you brought this up Joe. I wonder if many of us consider escape planning/practice?

In Aircraft Egress training they said 'in an emergency you will not think about what to do. You will act according to planning/training....or lack thereof.' I commend you for conducting your own planning and practice.

I can tell you first hand you "will be moving" if fire threatens you. If smoke gets to you first the urgency is compounded.

Perhaps it is a good idea to practice escape by:
1. Lay in bed blindfolded.
2. Stay as low as practical (smoke) and practice finding the escape hatch and getting it open.
It may be a good idea to have an observer assist you. And don't try to go fast.
Its called "muscle memory training."
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is fire, for me it's the dog first out the nearest exit in a blanket or sheet if needed with my following with a tuck and roll close behind.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
We were instructed to get one of those ladders when we started fostering children and had them sleep upstairs (at home). We showed the fire inspector our problem and he agreed such a ladder would not work for us. Did I mention our children, since adopted and growing, are special needs and normally confined to wheelchairs, so they would not be able to aid in their own evacuation. And that applies to home or the MH. In the MH one child sleeps in the rear bedroom and one on the sofabed across from the main door. DW and I are near our 70's (me over, she getting close). The children are 170 and 100 pounds. We do a lot of praying for safety and try to understand our MH systems and keep them in good repair. Also several fire extinguishers front and rear that could buy us some time.
Ken, you didn't mention it, but hopefully you've got photoelectric type smoke detectors in each area of the MH and test them on a regular basis. I hope you don't still have one of the refrigerators that tend to catch fire!

Joe

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I agree if there is a fire JUMP. here is a hint when using a free hanging rope or chain ladder turn to it sideways and go down one foot front side other foot back side. This is how we climbed the rope ladder to board a ship when under way. it you stay in front of the ladder you will become vertical.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Watch the video

It is only one way, but it's pretty simple.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Just a reminder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466200765874.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	130484