Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #1

Escapees Boot Camp - worth the effort?

We are still trying to sell our boat and are going to put it up with a boat broker early next year. Once it sells we’ll be looking in earnest for a 39-40 ft DP. Having done almost all the maintenance on our boat since we’ve owned it I think I’m pretty familiar with many of the home systems on a coach. There are some differences I know, but nothing I can’t learn from you guy’s here. What I know very little about is the chassis aspect of motorhome including air brakes, transmissions, leveling systems, slides, etc. Also I have a lot to learn about driving, towing, camp setup/breakdown, etc.

So I was thinking of attending an Excapees Boot Camp in early February in AZ. I live in FL so I would have to incur the expense of a hotel room & rental car but not travel expenses. So I’m soliciting opinions on this course and if it’s worth the effort to go there. I live near Lazy Days in Tampa and I know they have a driving course which I plan to take but I want something more in depth. I believe Freightliner has a course also but it’s very hard to get a seat and I think that course would not interest my DW. That might be something I would consider later.

Thanks in advance for any inputs about the Escapees Boot camp course.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"Excapees Boot Camp in early February in AZ. I live in FL so I would have to incur the expense of a hotel room & rental car but not travel expenses."

How do you get from FL to AZ with no travel expense?

Have not been to the Excapees but lots of boat and RV experience, this is a great place for info.

We have had 6 boats, still have a 18' fishing/ski, sold the' Fly Bridge Cruiser, when we became Winter Texans in 05.

Good luck with the sale.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Full time boat live aboard 2004-2014. Now full time on a 40' Dutch Star. If you can maintain a diesel boat, the RV maintenance will not be a hard jump. There are literally hundreds of you tube videos on everything in a diesel powered RV. I researched/watched videos for a year before pulling the trigger to RV life. Also this group iRV2 in a absolute treasure of info. Go for it. The Escapees is a pretty good class but not as in depth as I'd hoped. Spartan/Freightliner schools are better. IMHO.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

If you can take care of a large boat and a car, you should not have any problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

As I understand it, Boot Camp covers a wide spectrum of RV'ing in general. Lots of good high level overview info. For many areas, it's just the right amount of info. But for the specifics of each unique chassis/engine/generator/water heater vs Aqua or Hydro Hot/Electronic Inverters and Chargers - of course they don't drill down to that level.

If you visit, or even join, the Escapees Forums, you will also find info. One of the things that I've seen over the years, is the creation of longterm relationships with those that attend a Boot Camp together. So if your coming from a boating community where you may have a good circle of friends and acquaintances to the RV'ing community. This can help you jump start the rebuilding of this circle. That may not be important to you, as some do not really care to socialize.

Best of luck on the boat!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

Than for all the replies. Like I mentioned I'm pretty mech incline and understand the mechanics of taking care of machinery. I just have no experience with RV chassis and the cooling systems of OTR diesel engines. That cooling systems on my boat does the same thing but in a different way. Anyway I have to get an RV first and may look into getting a seat at the chassis manufacturer owners class, whichever that happens to be.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote