Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
American Coach Owners Club
I don't know how people find the time to participate in all the different 'Facebooks' out there in Cyber space-book...and I'm retired! I can darn near go blind just trying to keep up on the required reading on this site's "Wal-Mart" thread! Geez! Bob

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Oh, I have seen huge differences between forums. Though mostly different in moderation, there are variations in the kinds of posters they have. The Escapees forums are reasonable moderationwise but the dominant click there can be very bullheaded and vicious.
I believe your forgot to say "in my opinion..."

Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back to the OP. I had been on Facebook for a little while. I joined it when I received an invitation from a friend. Soon, I was getting invitations from friends of friends, and "Other persons you may want to be friends with." It was to the point that I never knew I had that many friends, and some on here will state I really do not.

I was concerned with the information contained on Facebook. There are items that yo can check off as not being public, but still, you cannot control what the people that are posting on "your wall" the information that may be forthcoming.

I used to be, and maybe still am, very good in social engineering. That's when I drop a name at you and you start confiding some information which may involve other 3rd party persons. Then they are queried and provide other information. It takes time, but a lot of information can be gathered. Some of it I would just as soon not have publicized. Trip specifics, schedules, any time away from home can invite the "lurkers" into something that may not be legal.

I deleted my account on Facebook. It took a few weeks for it to go through, but it was deleted. Although nothing on the Internet is every completely deleted. Once something is posted to the Internet it is there forever (with reservation). All the email that is sent is maintained for a specific period of time, and law enforcement can, with proper documents, obtain copies. I have recently re-opened an account on Facebook, and to my knowledge everything about me is "private." (to whatever degree that can be achieved.)

From Wikipedia:

"Spammers sometimes use various means to confirm addresses as deliverable. For instance, including a hidden Web bug in a spam message written in HTML may cause the recipient's mail client to transmit the recipient's address, or any other unique key, to the spammer's Web site.[3] Users can defend against such abuses by turning off their mail program's option to display images, or by reading email as plain-text rather than formatted."

So unless you do not browse the internet, you may be susceptible to email harvesting.

Facebook may be a useful tool for some people, but it is not for me, nor are any of the other so called social networks. I prefer to call on the telephone, or send an email. I refuse to "text," and there should be a law in every state prohibiting it while driving. Maybe even a law against using a cell phone while moving. I receive my Escapee information from email and by visiting their web site.

All Cajun1 did was report that Escapees are now on Facebook. It may be something for you.It is not for me.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Nope. Not for a moment. And don't go putting words in my mouth.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Senior Chief

Sorry some of you have had adverse experiences with Escapees. I do not spend much time in forums; they take too much of my valuable time. If I have a specific question or need, I will post it on a forum. I clearly do not just hang out in forums. It just takes too much time.

Escapees has been a great club for us especially since we have become full timers!

cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote