Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Escrow or Not?

I may be selling my RV to someone out-of-state from my residence. Has anyone used an escrow service before? If so, which one? If not, what is the best way to get a deposit and balance due? Which type of check is best?
burtcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

I would be very cautious about taking a check. I don't care how good it looks. The only way I would take a check is to go with the buyer to his bank and watch the bank issue the cashier's check made out to me. Bank wire transfers are also very efficient and pretty safe.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

X2 on a wire transfer.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

X2?

What is it?
burtcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

you can also make yourself feel better by asking for a deposit, in person, in cash, when they come to see the vehicle, then the balance while they follow you at your bank - a wire transfer from their account to yours - confirmed by the bank. Then sign over the title, or a title transfer form if it is financed, notarized by the bank.

your bank can serve as your 'free' escrow service - let them help you.

do NOT take a personal check unless you are prepared to sit on the RV until it has cleared not only YOUR bank, but also THEIRS, which can take a week.

also, do NOT take a bank Cashier's check, as those have been forged before, UNLESS, as above, the customer can wait until it has cleared their bank.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
A wire transfer can be made from one bank account to another bank account , and would be the most fraud proof method, if the seller uses a real time gross settlement (RTGS) system based wire transfer. RTGS systems provide the quickest availability of funds because they provide immediate "real-time" and final "irrevocable" settlement by posting the gross (complete) entry against electronic accounts of the wire transfer system operator. Once your bank confirms they got the RTGS wire transfer, its a done deal !

If buyer does not want to risk giving you the funds well before you give him the title and keys to the RV, a second choice would be a cashier’s check - a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn from its own funds and signed by a cashier or teller. Generally will have good security features such as several watermarks and two signatures. It’s a safe way to make a large payment on a purchase. The most important difference from a regular check is that the bank guarantees its payment, not the purchaser. You should be able to google the bank's name and then direct call to confirm that the check is real and not a forged cashier's check.

I would never let the buyer try to give you cash - all kinds of IRS implications when you try to deposit more than $ 10,000 in cash into the bank, credit union, or S&L.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
A wire transfer can be made from one bank account to another bank account, and would be the most fraud proof method, if the seller uses a real time gross settlement (RTGS) system based wire transfer. RTGS systems provide the quickest availability of funds because they provide immediate "real-time" and final "irrevocable" settlement by posting the gross (complete) entry against electronic accounts of the wire transfer system operator. Once your bank confirms they got the RTGS wire transfer, its a done deal !

If buyer does not want to risk giving you the funds well before you give him the title and keys to the RV, a second choice would be a cashier’s check - a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn from its own funds and signed by a cashier or teller. Generally will have good security features such as several watermarks and two signatures. It’s a safe way to make a large payment on a purchase. The most important difference from a regular check is that the bank guarantees its payment, not the purchaser. You should be able to google the bank's name and then direct call to confirm that the check is real and not a forged cashier's check.

I would never let the buyer try to give you cash - all kinds of IRS implications when you try to deposit more than $ 10,000 in cash into the bank, credit union, or S&L.
Cashiers check is one of the least secure now, very easy to forge them plus the money can be taken back even after the check is written. It's no longer safe to deal with cashiers checks!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtcooper View Post
What is it?
X2 means they agree with the post either just above or they quoted it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My last motorcycle purchase, a Goldwing for $12,500, was paid for via a PayPal deposit of 500. After flying up and looking over the purchase we drove over to a branch of my bank and I transferred the rest via a cashiers check. We could have done a wire transfer on the spot. She was happy and I was tickled to get a 3 YO bike with less than 10,000 miles. Rode it home from New York to Tennessee the next day.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

In my previous working life, I worked a lot of white collar cases (fraud). Scenario: Badguy goes to bank and gets a legitimate cashier's check for $5.00. Goes home and using transmission fluid, removes the ink for the value and reprints the value of your asking price. He then presents the check to you. You call the bank and give the bank the check number and account number. They verify it is one of their checks. They did not or would not verify the amount over the phone. You sign over the title. Badguy drives off in your vehicle and sells the vehicle with the open title to nearest person for cash. Often a shady used car dealer. You put cashier's check in your account and find out 7-10 days later that check has been returned as altered/forged. Many jurisdictions will not even consider your vehicle as stolen because you signed over the title. There are people out there making their living doing these scams. They travel all over the country working Craigs List and the Auto Trader magazines.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #11

Just bought a rare original paint '58 Harley from a guy. I inspected and test road it in Ohio at a vintage meet. Went home to Ca and after a week decided to buy it. Spent a couple hours with him at meet and was straight shooter.

Sent him a cashiers check for 26k, it cleared in one week and he said it is yours come get it. He is in Pa. Found specialty cycle firm to ship and it is almost here.
Got title in mail today actually.

You likely will sleep better if using escrow firm. I did have a little concern......
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Every time I've heard escrow service mentioned by a seller, its turned out to be a scam. The last few big ticket items I've bought or sold we went to my bank when I bought and the buyers bank when I sold and did the transaction there. The seller gets a check cut by the bank and the buyer gets the title.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #13

Cashiers checks are no problem. I simply call their bank and ask if the check is real. Have never had a problem as long as you verify the check is real and what amount it was issued for. Another way is make sure there is a branch of the bank the check is issued from you can go to and cash the check before you release the MH. Cashiers checks are probably the most forged form of purchase, but with proper precautions are still a safe way to transfer cash.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr