Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
EternaBond

I have been reading up on the EternaBond products and I must say I am impressed. I don't have a leak, but the roof of my slide is looking a bit 'iffy' so I am thinking of giving it an EternaBond makeover.... Preventative medicine if you will...

Anyone here ever used this, I know the reviews are great but would like any input from someone who has firsthand experience using it, anything I need to know beforehand>
Here is the site with all the products I am thinking of the kit with the tape and the UV protectant on my slide.

EternaBond.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put Eternabond over the seam in my front and rear caps. The installation was relatively simple. Keeping the material straight while I was applying and managing the curvature of the roof line took some finesse but it looks fine. The seal is tight and I do not expect to ever have a leak there.

I have wondered from time to time what a problem it would be if ever for any reason one of these caps would need to be replaced. I'm not sure how difficult this stuff is to remove but I suspect it is not a pleasant job.

Have you searched the sight for threads? There was a lot of discussion back when I decided to do my roof.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have used it on two RVs - a MH and a travel trailer. It is as good as you have read. Clean the surface well and roll it down after you apply it. It works best if the weather is warm or at least the surface you apply it to. Make SURE you have it where you want it because it does not like to turn loose once in place. I used the fiber back (original type) because it will stick to compound curves like the rounded corner of an RV and not pucker. Paint on the UV protectant and you are good for years
Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
eternabond - iRV2 Forums - Threads Tagged with Eternabond

Lots of reading here.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
EternaBond is great stuff! I used it to reseal all the openings on my MH (except for the small ones like vent pipes, etc.). Just be sure you have it where you want it before letting it touch! It's just about impossible to get it back up!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you all for your information, I will make the investment and will certainly heed your advice to make sure to havbe it where I want it....

It is good to know there is a product that does indeed live up to it's advertising
Thanks!

njs42 As for removing it from the caps if need be, if there is a seam line is it possible to use an exacta knife to run down the seam to release it...(where it joins or overlaps?) Just thinking out loud...
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Thank you all for your information, I will make the investment and will certainly heed your advice to make sure to havbe it where I want it....

It is good to know there is a product that does indeed live up to it's advertising
Thanks!

njs42 As for removing it from the caps if need be, if there is a seam line is it possible to use an exacta knife to run down the seam to release it...(where it joins or overlaps?) Just thinking out loud...
Sure enough but I wasn't thinking of getting the caps off but getting the Eternabond off to reseal after what ever reason the caps came off was rectified and they were re installed.

Same would be true of a sky light or roof vent. I have also seen people run Eternabond the length of the roof where it is joined to the sides, and wondered if a repair was necessary how much problem would it cause.

I have to reseal my roof joints soon and am considering running Eternabond there but, I still hesitate a little wondering. Hopefully, which is most likely, I would never have a problem so severe requiring that much repair.

On the other hand after owning our rig for six months a fellow camper backed into us so hard it fractured our front cap (go figure) and it in fact needed to come off for repair. Stuff happens.

What ever solvent could break the adhesion of Eternabond would also make for a rather messy job, that's all.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
They show on their website using a heat gun for removal.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good stuff and a heat gun is about the only way to get it off
Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Eternabond is an RV owner's dream come true As well as sealing cap seams I have also used it to cover the top half of the rubber windshield seal. I have one of the rust prone windshield frames so I used Eternabond as preventive maintenance and so far it has worked great....pictures attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	54667   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	54668  

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #11

How long will a roll of Eternabond last in storage? I bought a couple of 4 inch rolls several years ago, but cut one lengthwise for my roof seams and never used the second roll. I'm wondering if the adhesive on the second roll will still be alive??? it has been stored in my garage in a plastic bag, but not sealed.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

Shelf Life Up to 5 years; from their website.

Tags
eternabond