Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Eternabond as prevention

Hi all,

Has anyone used Eternabond to tape up all their lap sealant seams on the roof as preventative maintenance? I was looking at doing a RV Armor lifetime roof but the cost is pretty steep. Eternabond says their roof sealant tape should stand up to UV rays for 19 years. I would be interested in your opinions about doing this and if you have already done it how you think it is working out. I can not get on the roof period due to physical limitations. Same for DW.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I taped the front and back ends of my rubber roof with Eternabond a few years ago. So far no issues.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've taped the front and rear caps, vent fans, TV antenna and shower skylight. Still need to do the tank vents and ladder attachment points. The front cap seal is the oldest at five 1/2 years and shows no sign of needed attention. Before I taped I removed as much of the old sealant as possible to give a smooth clean tape line. One thing Eternabond can be a bit expensive pushing $1 a foot. One roll will buy a lot of Dicor but once taped you'll done for a long time.

I keep a roll in the coach just incase and I had a just incase last summer when an incorrectly forecasted thunderstorm took out my awning which took out the shower skylight. Taped the cracks up and it's still holding tight.

One of these days I'll replace.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Ours was done in 2010 after Newmar replaced the entire roof from hail damage. No problems, leaks, or deterioration that I can see, looks good for another 10 years easy.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely Eternabond is a preventative measure just as is Dicor but EBond is going to outlast Dicor. When we got our current coach we were advised that the top seams on the slide rooms were an issue (leak prone) in some County Coach models. First thing I did was clean those seams and apply 4" Eternabond. Not going to leak and not going to have to think about it for a long, long time.

I would suggest the only negative about Eternabond is how difficult it is to remove. Otherwise, IMO, it trumps other sealants in every other way.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Eternabond as prevention

One thing to remember is preparation is everything. Putting Eternabond over a failing dirty seam will fail also. I like to think of Eternabond as a secondary line of defense. Primary being your caulked joints.

This is from experience , PO did just that Eternabond over cracked dirty joints. I have been slowly replacing.

Fein Multimaster with a putty knife is great for removal.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Wow, that's a great idea. I'll have to check it out
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

I would suggest the only negative about Eternabond is how difficult it is to remove

Many people really praise Eternabond tape and have used it extensively. I however, have not used an inch of it due to the statement above. While it may serve many well, I'm one of those that, I may have to "un-do" something I did, i.e. sealing joints, sealing seams, sealing vents etc. and, from what I've read many, many times, it's pretty tough to remove, once it's on there. Maybe someday I'll try it but, for now and all my past operations, a thorough cleaning, removal of all old caulking/sealant is all I've ever done and just applied the new caulking/sealant for the particular area.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the process installing this tape as this thread is on going.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Prep is every thing. I had some coating on an old RV that I was not aware of until 6 months later and the Eternabond tape was not sticking in all the places and water was getting under the tape. It does not stick to silicone. I took it all Off. I'd rather just use dicor calk.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I would suggest the only negative about Eternabond is how difficult it is to remove

Many people really praise Eternabond tape and have used it extensively. I however, have not used an inch of it due to the statement above. While it may serve many well, I'm one of those that, I may have to "un-do" something I did, i.e. sealing joints, sealing seams, sealing vents etc. and, from what I've read many, many times, it's pretty tough to remove, once it's on there. Maybe someday I'll try it but, for now and all my past operations, a thorough cleaning, removal of all old caulking/sealant is all I've ever done and just applied the new caulking/sealant for the particular area.

Scott

Use a heat gun. I will come off.
Grwhetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #12

Sealed every seam on my roof with it, after a small application of dicor on the seam. Then I put doctor on the edges and joins of the eternabond.
When my MADP expires, I plan to cut the roof off and use it as a boat.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yes, very effective product. I would highly recommend it. I keep a large 4" wide roll in the coach. Have been able to help several rv'ers fix leaks while camping.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
One thing to remember is preparation is everything. Putting Eternabond over a failing dirty seam will fail also. I like to think of Eternabond as a secondary line of defense. Primary being your caulked joints.

This is from experience , PO did just that Eternabond over cracked dirty joints. I have been slowly replacing.
I totally agree. Eternabond will protect the sealant underneath, and then you will have two good water barriers which will need no attention for a very long time. But you must follow the directions for prep.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, vent