Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Europeans guide to RVing in the US

We meet a lot of Europeans who dream about going RVing in the US, but sitting in a European country dreaming and then actually doing is 2 different things. What may come natural to most US citizens may be miles apart from what Europeans may think/feel/experience, and for that reason I have compiled a small guide for Europeans. Here it is.

Bear in mind that this is my personal view and my personal experience and opinion that I am displaying. Your opinion and experience may well be different, and if it is, feel free to send me a PM. However, even if you disagree with my views and comments, it will always be better than no help at all.

My hope is that it will inspire tourists to come to the US and experience the differences from Europe - give them the best start they can get. This has been my goal.

I welcome all positive comments that you may have. I can handle negative comments as well but would prefer them as a PM.

Thanks guy's

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Very well written and informative. I'm sure you're providing a much needed service.

Well done.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is a good job of describing the good and bad of RV life in the USA.
Most of it could be applied to folks in the US who want to get a taste of the lifestyle.
Again, good job.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Very well written. It should be a big help for anybody wanting to come here.

Although they are not very common, you might want to consider adding a description of class B RVs. They are a bit tight on space, but I have found them to be suitable for up to about four weeks. The get much better fuel economy than a class C, and you can park one pretty much anyplace you can park a car.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Very nice. Informative and thoughtful guide. I agree that Class B would make for a more complete picture of possible rentals but overall, a great overview of the RV life here.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Comments on Class B taken on board. I will rectify this asap.

The reason I didn't do this in the first place is firstly that we do not come across that many Class B RV's, and secondly, this is a type of RV's that Europeans are kind of familiar with.

Again, I will correct this. Thank you for your response.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It's still a great guide, regardless.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have Friends from England who came to the USA, bought a 40 ft MH (12) meter coach. we met them in Baja Mexico. They shamed us because they had visited more US states than us. So now we are off to see the USA to catch up. they are back in Europe and still RV'ing. I don't think we will ever catch up with them. Oh it's December and they are in Spain.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

We spend about two weeks a year at Lake Powell, motorhome camping on the beach. We have lots of foreign visitors with rental motorhomes who usually come and spend one night and then on to their next adventure. I would say that the majority are either German or French. A few will stay for more than one night. We had one German couple who camped near us that had camped near us a couple of years before. They were as much in love with Lake Powell as we were. We enjoyed playing games with them. It is really nice to meet these travelers. The majority speak english very well, especially the children and the younger adults.

I think your guide is a nice way to start.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

One suggestion - in the Class A discussion you state that anybody can drive these with a "normal" driver's license as long as they don't drive it commercially. More and more states are requiring a Recreational Vehicle endorsement or a special class of license if the combined vehicle weight rating (rating, not actual weight) is over 26,000 pounds. I know this is the case in New York, Pennsylvania and Texas to name a few.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Suggested corrections now implemented.

Thank you for these.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

Good show with info that could help people not up to speed on North American RVing.

From someone who has RVed in Europe and the UK with my own European TT when I was stationed in Germany it takes a bit of time to become accustomed to the local scene. It was challenging towing a "Caravan" with a LH drive TV in the UK. (glad I had Navigator/Lookout sitting in the right hand seat). But I have also rented MHs in AUS and NZ so knowing local customs and terminology helps. These were RH drive so no problems for me when you sit on that side.

Back in the day when I did Europe by "Caravan" we of course did not have Internet, GPS devices, cell or Satellite phones etc. Navigation was much more of a challenge but today things are soooooo much easier.

You might suggest newbies get appropriate GPS capabilities and take advantage of the many Apps for finding campsites and other RV related services.

I had a GPS unit with local maps and carried a local Sim Card for my Cell phone in Auz and NZ and also carried my Satphone. Did a lot of real remote boondocking there. Many places I went the Satphone was the only comms link available.

One other suggestion is advise visitors to become members of iRv2 so they can get the skinny on almost anything related to RVing and opinions on almost anything for that matter.

Again great job.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

Being European (German) by birth and still have family on the other side of the pond, I have come to realize that many Europeans really don't grasp the enormity of size of this country.

When they visit here, they look at the "map" and point to a place and want to go there. Then I tell them that they are looking at a couple day's drive, they look at me with a blank stare. It's a huge, beautiful country, with more to see than you could cover in a lifetime.

Tags
guide, rving