Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Ever feel like a trip should never have started?

We've been RVing since 1987 with many enjoyable trips but after this spring's trip I think I should have stayed in bed.
We were supposed to travel 220 miles in mid April to visit relatives in NW Arkansas before heading to Forest City, Iowa for work on our coach but rains delayed us several days getting out of the back yard. The first day headed to Iowa was a full day driving in the rain, a 2-day work schedule there turned into a week, and we had a 14" snow fall the week we were there.
Returning home I made an appointment at Freightliner in OKC for a 2-day work schedule but due to the Moore, Ok tornado, the RV mechanic leaving for school before the work was finished, and 2 other mechanics being assigned to our coach, it ended up almost a week (at least that's the story they gave me for the delay). This in turn made us 5 days late leaving for our vacation reservations in Colorado. Plus the tornados and windstorms across northern Kansas delayed us another 3 days.
Driving across Kansas on I-70 we encounterd something like 35-40 MPH cross-winds making our rear window awning unfurl. We'd been in real trouble if it hadn't been for a very helpful semi driver, but even at that we only made 100 miles the first 4 hours that day.
When we arrived at our National Forest campground site the water faucet at our site was leaking due to a freeze a few days previous and the faucet was eventually blocked off. And we don't boondock very well. Also, since they were tearing up the highway leading into the canyon we had to travel a 5-mile very narrow dirt road which I doubt 2 large class A RVs could meet/pass. Thank goodness that didn't happen.
When we arrived at our next campground for a 2-week stay they were digging up the water line right behind our site and had the noise/dust the first week of our stay.
Next, going back to the NF campground for a 2nd stay there we obtained a rock chip on our MH windshield going through a highway construction area and had to stop for a chip repair before going on to the campground.
Then 2 weeks later headed home we got another rock chip going down Monarch Pass, no road construction or anything, just a passing 4 wheeler. And our diesel engine overheated going over 3 different passes in Colorado causing one stop on each pass to allow it to cool back down.
Headed back home after July 4th in 100 degree weather the No-cold frig in our coach heated up to almost 50 degrees both days we were traveling on the road.
And while in Colorado we were worrying about the possibility of forest fires in our area since there were ones north of Colorado Springs, in Estes Park, at the Royal Gorge closing hywy 50 for a while (this is our route home), at South Fork closing Wolf Creek Pass for a duration (an alternate route for us to get home by), and at LaVeta a few miles east of South Fork, all causing a smokey haze at different times.
Knew I should have hybernated this year. Sorry about the long thread but I just had to vent a little. I'll probably get over it and be back on the road this fall (hopefully).
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #2

Isn't that funny. When I tried to submit my post above I got a message saying it was too short and please extend it by 3 characters. I backed up a page, re-submitted it and all went well. If that was too short I'd hate to see a long one. Wonder what is happening here?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #3

as they say its all ways about the trip and getting there guess its some thing you well never forget

but happy to see you made it home ok
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a memorable trip!
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

If a trip is perfect than you have nothing to talk about. Reading your post I guess riding my motorcycle thru a hail storm in Vail,Co was not to bad. Sorry you had so much trouble but it was interesting.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinhazmat View Post
If a trip is perfect than you have nothing to talk about. Reading your post I guess riding my motorcycle thru a hail storm in Vail,Co was not to bad. Sorry you had so much trouble but it was interesting.
X2
I think you need to take a trip before a Fall one. You know what they say about a MH just sitting...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #7

Wagonmaster, look at all the people that you helped by having "MURPHY" concentrating on you. When Murphy screws with you, chances are he will leave the rest of us alone. Thanks.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinhazmat View Post
Oh wow. I used to ride back in the 60's-80's, got wet a lot but never a hail storm. Hope you had a good helmet on, and maybe ear plugs too.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
as they say its all ways about the trip and getting there guess its some thing you well never forget

but happy to see you made it home ok
what happened to your MH???
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took a 4 day weekend trip with just my dog about a month ago.

I got all set up took him out for some exercise, he decided to jump in the river to cool off. The current was strong and although he's an excellent swimmer, the current was pulling him towards a downed tree. Unable to reach him I dove in and pulled him towards the middle where we could both swim out safely. Who knew cell phones were water proof!

I don't carry insurance so $600 later, I'm connected again.

It started raining the next day and they had to evacuate the park because of a flood threat so I packed up in the pouring rain.

As I pulled out of the CG and hit the brakes, the unsecured container of dog food that I forgot on top of the refrigerator flew across the MH and blew apart.

I drove all the way home without cleaning it up.

My wife said that's what I get for leaving her home!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

A trip from hell for sure! But looking at the positive's any trip with a mishap looking forward will pale in comparison. You got it all out in one grand swoop.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you tell your grand kids it will have been up hill both ways.

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I took a 4 day weekend trip with just my dog about a month ago.

I got all set up took him out for some exercise, he decided to jump in the river to cool off. The current was strong and although he's an excellent swimmer, the current was pulling him towards a downed tree. Unable to reach him I dove in and pulled him towards the middle where we could both swim out safely. Who knew cell phones were water proof!

I don't carry insurance so $600 later, I'm connected again.

It started raining the next day and they had to evacuate the park because of a flood threat so I packed up in the pouring rain.

As I pulled out of the CG and hit the brakes, the unsecured container of dog food that I forgot on top of the refrigerator flew across the MH and blew apart.

I drove all the way home without cleaning it up.

My wife said that's what I get for leaving her home!
Sorry to laugh - but that's just plain funny. Better take her next time!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep a log of all of the "adventures" we have...some funny, some not so funny. But a few years down the road, it is funny to sit and read about the adventures.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote