Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,251
We were in Phoenix for a wedding in Nov. 2011. My daughter, visiting from Australia, got 'caught' in a red light camera. It was an intersection narrowed by construction. She was in a line for left turn for 5 cycles of the light. When she got up to the light, she pulled into the intersection so she'd be able to turn. A car coming the other way came late into the intersection, she had to wait until they passed. Flash, since she was over the line as the light went yellow to red, she was accused of running the light. She had returned home when a notice was sent to our house, from a company that processes tickets given to rental cars. $50 charge on her credit card. (It's in the pages of small print when renting a car.) Couldn't dodge that fee, but I did research on Arizona red light cams. It is a total revenue collection scam for cities and the companies that install the cameras. However, Arizona courts have ruled that a ticket or summons to court can only be served by a deputy sheriff or process server. Tickets in the mail aren't legal or official. I advised my daughter to wait until a deputy shows up on their doorstep in Byron Bay, NSW, Australia before paying. It's been over three years....
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
OLYLEN's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 2,342
If you are not running a red light or speeding you don't get tickets. Yes there are a few ?? ones. But if you did it either go to court or pay the ticket. Run a red light, speed, shop lift, steal booze, Rob thelocal AMPM, eat someone up, it just get worse at each level. Take responsibility for what you do! It's simple follow the law or change it. JMO

LEN
__________________

__________________
2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Raining Star's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 736
Ever Get Caught By a Red Light Camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
If you are not running a red light or speeding you don't get tickets. Yes there are a few ?? ones. But if you did it either go to court or pay the ticket. Run a red light, speed, shop lift, steal booze, Rob thelocal AMPM, eat someone up, it just get worse at each level. Take responsibility for what you do! It's simple follow the law or change it. JMO

LEN

Sorry, but that just ain't the case. You don't have to be doing anything wrong to get caught by those idiotic cameras. After dozens of school buses were caught running the light in one intersection in El Mirage, Arizona the school district determined it wasn't possible for the bus to accelerate from a stopped position fast enough when the light turned green to clearing the intersection before the camera determined they had ran the light. I'm sure no small number of RV'ers and truckers were also wrongly ticketed.

The idea of giving mindless technology, that is controlled by profit based corporations, police powers over us is something that all free people should be terrified of. Lots of innocent people are "caught" by those imperfect devices.
__________________
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
We were in Phoenix for a wedding in Nov. 2011. My daughter, visiting from Australia, got 'caught' in a red light camera. It was an intersection narrowed by construction. She was in a line for left turn for 5 cycles of the light. When she got up to the light, she pulled into the intersection so she'd be able to turn. A car coming the other way came late into the intersection, she had to wait until they passed. Flash, since she was over the line as the light went yellow to red, she was accused of running the light. She had returned home when a notice was sent to our house, from a company that processes tickets given to rental cars. $50 charge on her credit card. (It's in the pages of small print when renting a car.) Couldn't dodge that fee, but I did research on Arizona red light cams. It is a total revenue collection scam for cities and the companies that install the cameras. However, Arizona courts have ruled that a ticket or summons to court can only be served by a deputy sheriff or process server. Tickets in the mail aren't legal or official. I advised my daughter to wait until a deputy shows up on their doorstep in Byron Bay, NSW, Australia before paying. It's been over three years....
BFlinn,
I'm not sure what your research revealed to you about the prerequisits of the validity of the red light citation but, maybe if I were you, I'd make a call to the Phoenix PD to make certain things are clear. Now, what I mean by that is, in CA, at least So Cal, the rules for a valid citation USED TO BE that, ONE of the criteria for the photo camera enforcement was that, the vehicle in question, had to be doing a minimum of 20 mph when the flash occurred.

That would ensure that, cars that were in a scenario like your daughters, either just over the cross walk and into the intersection or, already fully inside the intersection waiting to turn, (such as it was in your daughters case) COULD NOT BE TICKETED.

In other words, you had to be doing a certain speed, (as in speeding to get through an "amber" light), prior to it turning red, for it to be a valid red light ticket. Now, I don't know how Phoenix dictates the rules and or criteria for validity of its red light tickets but, based on your description of what happened, if it were So CAL, the ticket would/should have never been issued. Maybe it's worth a check on that criteria. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where we park it
Posts: 388
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I got tagged by a mobile camera set up twice in succeeding days for going 10MPH over the limit.

It was set up just around a bend where you can't see it and it was right where the speed limit dropped from 35MPH to 25 MPH.....go figure. About a month later you get a letter in the mail saying "give me more of your money".


This was in Cleveland Ohio and they have since put it on the ballot and they were voted out.
__________________
Ken & Laurie
North in summer, South in Winter
2015 Allegro Bus 45LP
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,251
Scott, it's just not worth the trouble 3 years later. My daughter visits a couple of times a year and got her Ohio driver's license renewed on a visit at Thanksgiving with no holds or points added. No cars could have been speeding in that intersection, it was grid-locked with heavy traffic for the Nascar race. Interestingly, the photo sent had printed on it the length of the yellow light. While doing research I found out the yellow interval was too short for the posted speed through that intersection according to Arizona law, a common trick to issue more tickets. I have that and other information in a file on the computer if this ever becomes an issue in the future for her. In Australia they have speed cameras, usually just as the speed drops. Great fun.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Scott, it's just not worth the trouble 3 years later. My daughter visits a couple of times a year and got her Ohio driver's license renewed on a visit at Thanksgiving with no holds or points added. No cars could have been speeding in that intersection, it was grid-locked with heavy traffic for the Nascar race. Interestingly, the photo sent had printed on it the length of the yellow light. While doing research I found out the yellow interval was too short for the posted speed through that intersection according to Arizona law, a common trick to issue more tickets. I have that and other information in a file on the computer if this ever becomes an issue in the future for her. In Australia they have speed cameras, usually just as the speed drops. Great fun.
Well Sir,
I guess I didn't pickup on the age of the citation. No biggie. It seems all is well and there's no U.S. Marshals out hunting for your daughter. It sure seems that quite a few cities across the nation have discontinued the use of Red light cameras due to all kinds inconsistancies in rules, regulations, and more. And yet, some cities are still doing research so INSTALL THEM! You'd think that, a city considering the install of them would do a bit of research on the goods and the bads of them, in other cities.

But, that's asking for government to be SERIOSLY efficient. And, we all know that's never going to happen.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Raining Star's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 736
Ever Get Caught By a Red Light Camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
You'd think that, a city considering the install of them would do a bit of research on the goods and the bads of them, in other cities.

When Arizona decided to install cameras on the freeways the ONLY thing discussed was the revenue it would generate. Not a single word was spoken concerning increasing safety or the reliability of the system.

When politicians are so focused on making money that the don't even bother to give lip service to the public good then there is no doubt as to what these systems are really about. In fact accident rates have actually increased since the system was installed. They have since been removed on our freeways.

One state senator recommended that mailed tickets simply be ignored, because it doesn't meet the requirements for being legally served. If you had to go to court for another reason the ticket would be waiting but if not they weren't going to send cops out to serve tickets. The defense of "I never received it" is inarguable against.
__________________

__________________
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camera



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My ABS Light Story: ktoutoor Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 19 05-27-2016 05:33 PM
Garmin BC 20 Backup Camera O Lloyd Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 0 10-20-2014 07:42 PM
Back up camera and rear clearance lights Vsilvester Newmar Owner's Forum 2 10-05-2014 05:50 AM
Brake light function seperate turn signal lights. briankstan Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 08-12-2014 09:08 AM
Squirrely rear camera RJEV MH-General Discussions & Problems 8 06-08-2013 04:39 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.