Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Good thread folker. I wonder the same thing since getting back into camping after 20 years. I carry my main tool box with me which has expensive tools in it including wrenches and Power Point. I get tired of locking and unlocking six doors every time we need something.

I've had thousands of dollars of copper stolen off irrigation pivots and have found the best defense it to make them work for it. The longer time they have to spend on the theft site the less likely they are to steal. (How that relates to a campsite I don't know)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #16

The last time I camped was at the Mckinney CoE campground on Lake Alatoona in Georgia. When I was setting up a guy that was a couple sites away from me was walking his dog and told me not to leave anything out at night. Even though the gates are closed at 10PM the lake is still active and apparently somebody(s) in a boat prowled the campground at night. A trolling motor doesn't make much noise. He had several items taken as well as several other camp sites.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In 13 years of RV'ing we have never had anything stolen! We do secure the bikes when we're away from the CG and at night.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

My jeep toad was parked in front of our coach, and someone walking by must have needed a jeep 2 inch hitch cover.......found it was missing the following morning.
Now I have a new cover and it's not a jeep.......the jeep covers cost to much....no body has taken this one as yet.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
There is some discussion on here of worry about surge protectors and other items being locked so they won't be stolen and that has me thinking how often does someone actually experience theft from their campsite (not at home or where the RV is stored).
I asked around at places we stayed this summer and the only time I came across it being a problem was at Seacliff State Beach where teenagers seem to roam late at night and not only steal the ice chests with beer you would expect young hooligans to take but also portable generators and an occasional bicycle.
Have you ever had something stolen at a campground? Any story behind it?
Nope, not yet. I don't leave anything of value out unless it's padlocked, like the auto sat dish or bicycles.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
The last time I camped was at the Mckinney CoE campground on Lake Alatoona in Georgia. When I was setting up a guy that was a couple sites away from me was walking his dog and told me not to leave anything out at night. Even though the gates are closed at 10PM the lake is still active and apparently somebody(s) in a boat prowled the campground at night. A trolling motor doesn't make much noise. He had several items taken as well as several other camp sites.

We have two COE CG's here and I've often thought about how easy it would be for someone to visit in a boat in the middle of the night, but have never heard of this happening!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We had a leveling block stolen.
twogypsies
Same here!
Apparently there's something irresistible about unattended leveling blocks.

Back in the day, (when I would level with blocks and then leave them in place while I drove my MH to do the "tourist thing"), I had leveling blocks stolen In MN, SC, TX and CO....and I once had a table cloth, 2 lawn chairs, and leveling blocks "go missing" in the Illinois Beach state park campground, while we spent the day at Great America in Gurnee.

Other than that I have not had anything else stolen in 45+ years of camping.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
....and I once had a table cloth, 2 lawn chairs, and leveling blocks "go missing" in the Illinois Beach state park campground, while we spent the day at Great America in Gurnee.
i

Who takes a table cloth???? Would have loved if you had caught them later and pulled the table cloth out from under their picnic .
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Dang Campers keep stealing the best level spots before I get there!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Dog dish

We had a dog dish that disappeared once during the night. Found out there was a bear visiting the campground (they like dog food). Found the dish at another section of the campground.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
In PA had a first Aid bag taken for the car with a $150 Stethoscope in it. They prob thought it was a camera.

At a campground in Ft. Lauderdale that we stopped staying at as the neighborhood has declined. We never had anything stolen but people around us had lots of stuff taken.

When we stop for something to eat I always try to park where I can see my MH from the window.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #26

We had an attempted bicycle theft, but the kid was thwarted by the cable linking 3 bicycles to the pin box. She was a seasonal with her grand parents, had tried to get one of my grand daughters to trade the Trek for a Walmart bike. She stopped by the next morning and said "Oh, look, someone tried to steel your bikes" while pointing to an almost imperceptible cut on the cable sheath and then named another kid as the probable suspect. Other than that, never.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've not had anything stolen either, knock on campfire wood. But then, we don't give the theves an easy target. We chain/padlock bikes together & to the coach frame, put camp chairs away in bins at night & lock all bins before bed & when leaving the coach. And, unless someone has the last name of Stewart & lives in OH, they wouldn't get much use out of our wooden sign.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #28

I have a very bad place in my heart for people that steal.
For someone to simply take something that I work hard to earn money to purchase really gulls me.

Now after saying that...I do have a trusting side when it comes to fellow rv'ers. My wife always lectures me to lock the door when we go off for a walk or to the pool. For some reason I feel dirty doing such. I feel like I am acting like I am better than and not trusting of my neighbors. FWIW, once I park and unlock my basement doors, they stay unlocked until we pull out.
We also keep most of our items out on the table.

Perhaps I need to revisit my security measures. ????

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground