Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #43
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While at a county park a loose dog stole my top sirloin from the picnic table.
My son had some jugs of gas stolen used for his wave runner while out on a lake. Now they remain locked to the trailer.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #44
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't imagine getting ready to have my sirloin for dinner and a loose dog takes it!!! Did you tell the dog owner you expected a gift certificate to be waiting a Flemings when you got home?

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this".
Scott and Jess |What are the Fockers up to?
focker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Had a 20 lb propane tank stolen at a campground.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #46
We have only 2 occasions where we have lost things at the campgrounds we have stayed at. Our first loss was all of our bacon and ham for sandwiches one night out of an ice chess which we had latched down a weight on top. The culprit were little 4 legged bandits that had came in the night. The other was the loss of a life jacket and a paddle from the boat at the boat shed in a state park in central La. They left all our fishing tackle as it was. I guess my old cheapy gear didn't interest them.
2013 Holiday Rambler 43 DFT-405 HP MaxxForce International-Dodge 1500 pickup w/US Gear Tow Brake
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #47
In August 2012, while attending FMCA conference at Indianapolis Fairgrounds, I was in the full hookups section and the first night, several bicycles were stolen. Fortunately my bike was chained to the fence behind my motorhome so it survived. The next night I happened to here some noise in the middle of the night, so I quietly stepped out of motorhome and saw several kids/young adults snooping around neighbors coach. I raked a round in the shotgun and it's amazing how fast they could run. Never had anymore late night visitors during the event.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #48
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Have yet to loose anything copper.. On one of my first campging trip when my daughter was still in diapers (now her son is in diapers) We lost our breakfast (lunch and dinner), even before we had a chance to cook it.,, Thieves in the night had stolen our cooler...

That is the only time I've suffered a theft in a campground.

Not so lucky at home.
We had a cooler stolen many years ago. Some local boys stole a bunch of coolers from the CG. Police found them the next afternoon in an ajoining field. They left everything to rot, only took beer from the coolers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #49

Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
Two years ago, at Palms River Resort at Needles, CA. there was a rash of thievery going on.
That's one of the last places I'd think that any type of thievery would be going on. You're like in the middle of nowhere with many expensive mobile homes within the park.

Been camping/boating at Needles Marina RV Park since 1978 and purchased a mobile home in a section of the park 10 years ago (from an RV'r to trailer trash now). Generally speaking, there's really not much theft going on except for the occasional beer coolers walking away. I've never had a problem though myself in the summer time, but when those "Snowbirds" show up in the winter...standby. The cocktails start flowing at about 4PM.
Motorhomeless Clancy and Sue
Hopefully part-timing by Winter 2016
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #50
Ford Super Duty Owner
My daughter had her phone stolen, and another girl her laptop from lockers in the pool house of a campground we frequent. Stuff was recovered and is still in police evidence locker. Apparently it was a "crew" that got caught with bunch of stuff from many locations.
Was at racetrack once and someone walked off with neighbors fire ring. Nice thing there though was that within few hours of the missing item being announced over the PA, it showed back up.
2002 Four Winds Infinity 37', 2 slides, F53 with V10, 22,500# chassis, CHF. 4 of us and a German sheperd.
hochmuth1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #51
Originally Posted by focker View Post
There is some discussion on here of worry about surge protectors and other items being locked so they won't be stolen and that has me thinking how often does someone actually experience theft from their campsite (not at home or where the RV is stored).
I asked around at places we stayed this summer and the only time I came across it being a problem was at Seacliff State Beach where teenagers seem to roam late at night and not only steal the ice chests with beer you would expect young hooligans to take but also portable generators and an occasional bicycle.
Have you ever had something stolen at a campground? Any story behind it?
We lost a bicycle at a FMCA meet in Oklahoma City and a Great Race License plate at Pioneer Village Campground in Minden, Nebraska
stanleysteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #52
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, guess we have been lucky.
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W
FLman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #53
I have never had anything stolen but camp often at Charlestown Breachway in RI. Lots of folks go there to camp and fish and I have been warned to put the fishing equipment away at night. Problem is the public is allowed in all hours for fishing. My equipment is all hand made rods so it gets locked up every night.
2004 Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV
TimLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #54
Nothing missing here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.50 cal.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	78250  
2014 King Aire 4593
24' Stacker w/toys = 75' of fun
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Friends had their CarryOut Satellite Dish stolen during the night at a State Park in Western New York. Their replacement now gets chained to their MH.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #56
Senior Member / RVM 89

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
20 years ago, camping in our popup at Village Creek State Park in Arkansas, I left our big ice chest outside, right up against the camper under the slide-out queen bed.

I woke up around 2:00 am hearing the sound of someone shuffling through the ice chest. I whispered to Kate "Don't move or say anything. Someone is under this bed rifling through our ice chest." Then, I jumped onto the floor and yelled, "Hand me the shotgun!"

I threw open the camper door just in time to see a dark figure flying across the campground, something waving in one of his hands. A few hours later, after sunrise, I went out to check the damages in the ice chest. We had orange juice, Cokes, eggs, carrots, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and hamburger meat that the thief bypassed. He did take my expensive, unopened 2 lb package of Wright brand hickory smoked, thick sliced bacon.

Later, I learned there was a group of frat boys camping across the ravine at the next campground over from ours. A park ranger said that several other campers had complained about items stolen from ice chests. Said the thieves were likely looking for beer.

The funny thing was, I didn't even have a shotgun; but making that guy think I had one was all it took to get him to run. And, truth be told, it's probably a really good thing that I didn't have one. I would've set his hind end on fire!

Since DW doesn't want me carrying a firearm in the coach, I carry Marine Flares. A shotgun would be more merciful, in my opinion. If I lite up a Marine flare and point it at someone, it's gonna burn a hole in 'em. But, if anyone enters my coach uninvited, they'll be on the receiving end of a fireball from a Marine flare, and wishing I'd used a pistol.

Mel & Kate
2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 QDP, "Joy", our Rainbow Rider
[IBe yourself. Everyone else is already taken.[/I]
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote