Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #57

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With 90% of the folks here reporting nothing ever being stolen it is interesting that two different members posted going to FMCA events and having bicycles stolen.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:49 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two squirrels and a dang bluejay got to my favorite bag of chips.

I was mad.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #59

Buddy of mine used to do seasonal law enforment for the park service. Stories he told about Lake Mead & Yosemite! At Yosemite, he was involved in the arrest of a guy who raping other men at night in the restrooms. He once said that the crime rate there during the summer was higher than that of NYC. We've twice had neighbors' bikes stolen while in high end RV parks along I5 & 99 in Cal's Central Valley. Both times bikes were on racks. Once they were even locked. People on vacation tend to forget that there will always be opportunists looking for an easy score.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking

Since DW doesn't want me carrying a firearm in the coach, I carry Marine Flares. A shotgun would be more merciful, in my opinion. If I lite up a Marine flare and point it at someone, it's gonna burn a hole in 'em. But, if anyone enters my coach uninvited, they'll be on the receiving end of a fireball from a Marine flare, and wishing I'd used a pistol.

Mel[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to use a gun, use a can of hornet and wasp spay. It will shoot a stream 30 feet and it is good for bears too.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you don't want to use a gun, use a can of hornet and wasp spay. It will shoot a stream 30 feet and it is good for bears too.

X2 Hehehehe! Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #62

I carry 2 12 ga flare pistols. I also carry bear spray that will shoot a stream 30 feet. Never needed to use either in over 50 years of camping and I see lots of animals but never any danger.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
Two squirrels and a dang bluejay got to my favorite bag of chips.

I was mad.

Dang Bluejay took the grilled chicken right off my plate in Denali NP. Made me made too!
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had anything stolen but just to be cautious I have usedt battery powered luggage alarms on whatever I am concerned about. I also have a thing called a Scraminal that is used to make a screeching sound to keep cats away. It has a motion detector built in and I put it right next to the item I want protected. If it detects movement it make an awful scream.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #65

Bikes - Cathedral City RV Park

We had our bikes stolen from Cathedral City RV Park. Our parking spot backed up to a well used bike path that connected Cathedral City with Palm Spring, and at some point in time thieves jumped the fence, cut the cables and took off with our brand new bikes. Mine even had a bloody mary holder. RV insurance wouldn’t cover it -- they said we needed renters insurance to cover contents. Made no sense to me. Anyway, we take better precautions now and if I ever catch someone stealing again, will make them suffer (insert evil laugh here). Seriously though, I hate thieves.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #66

I have camped at a CoE campground on Lake Allatoona here in GA and on one occasion one of the campers just down from my site came by walking his dog and said "don't leave anything out at night that you don't want taken", he had lost some items. There were about 5 different campsites that thieves hit the night before we got there and we were just one of seven CoE campgrounds on the lake. Even though the gate closed at 10pm the lake was open 24/7 and crooks in boats with quiet trolling motors found a source of income. The lesson is, if you camp near a shoreline put things away a night no mater what campground it is.

Tags
campground