Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ever had something stolen at a campground?

There is some discussion on here of worry about surge protectors and other items being locked so they won't be stolen and that has me thinking how often does someone actually experience theft from their campsite (not at home or where the RV is stored).
I asked around at places we stayed this summer and the only time I came across it being a problem was at Seacliff State Beach where teenagers seem to roam late at night and not only steal the ice chests with beer you would expect young hooligans to take but also portable generators and an occasional bicycle.
Have you ever had something stolen at a campground? Any story behind it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not myself, but there were several reports of theft last year at the Circle M campground in Lancaster. I saw the police in the campground at least 5 or 6 times over a period of 3 days.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The only thefts in RV parks that I have seen or heard about in 30 years of Rv'ing have all been in State Parks. beer, bikes and an outboard motor.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
I have fortunately never had this happen in my 20 years of RVing. I always try to get to know neighbors on all sides of me. When boon docking I try to put more expensive (grill) away. Been lucky so far! Chinese zodiac shows my year (rabbit) is the luckiest of all signs. maybe that helps!
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never heard of anything being stolen. There's a unspoken kinship among RVers ... we all tend to watch out for each other and leave other's "stuff" alone. That's my experience, anyway. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Having said that (see post 5), I do lock my Progressive Industries box to the pedestal, and lock my bikes to the motorhome hitch. Hmmmmm.... \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

I have never worried about other rv'ers stealing, but have been to campgrounds where outsiders have come in looking for discounts.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thinking it is probably very rare over all at campgrounds and most of us probably worry far more than needed. I installed a hard wired PI surge unit because of that nagging theft worry but after my casual survey at a number of locations this summer I am now thinking the odds are almost zero of someone unplugging our surge protector and walking off with it. I guess depending where State Parks are located and what type of area is nearby that could indeed be a problem for theft but more likely we can all agree that teenagers will do just about anything to get some laughs and have some beers.

NRF that is funny, I am a rabbit too so I hope I stay lucky.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Having said that (see post 5), I do lock my Progressive box to the pedestal, and lock my bikes to the motorhome hitch. Hmmmmm.... \ken
I agree about locking bicycles up, too much invested to risk them "rolling away".

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I have never worried about other rv'ers stealing, but have been to campgrounds where outsiders have come in looking for discounts.
That is exactly my feeling, much more likely outsiders coming through looking for something easy to grab. In the case of Seacliff I was told the hooligans were generally observed coming through around 2 or 3 am.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
New water hose, saw one just a few spots away right afterward. Naturally, no way to show it was mine. Now I put identifying marks on them!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have yet to loose anything copper.. On one of my first campging trip when my daughter was still in diapers (now her son is in diapers) We lost our breakfast (lunch and dinner), even before we had a chance to cook it.,, Thieves in the night had stolen our cooler...

That is the only time I've suffered a theft in a campground.

Not so lucky at home.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

We had a leveling block stolen.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
20+ years RVing, one kids bike stolen at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. Mostly lock them up now. Had a hitch pin stolen at another park in Myrtle Beach. Never had a cooler stolen, but emptied more then once, mostly in government parks. The pin was the most upsetting because I assume the others were stolen by kids.

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Stopping at a shopping center with a truck pulling a TT for a restaurant break, noticed an old van pulling toward truck (with bikes, chairs, grill, etc) Walked back toward truck as van stopped next to it. He feigned interest in buying bikes and ended up asking for money to buy gas. It made me much more aware of parking lot situations.

Never any trouble at camp grounds. With a class a I will be sure to keep basement doors locked.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground