Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
If you are not already familiar with it, there is a Wanderlodge Owners Group online (wanderlodgeownersgroup.com).
Great group of folks that will help you through the decision of buying the 'bird and then if you do, will be there to walk you through the "fun" of owning her.
I have an '82 FC and previously owned a '76 FC. They are built like tanks but, like any complicated item, they do take some getting used to.
If you have any questions on them, send me a message or sign up for the board.
Regards and good luck.
<Padre>
1982 FC35 "Shambhala"
Hi Padre, that's actually the site we found the rig on. I've registered on that site - same user name.

Also, great quote in your sig.

Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh my...my honey came to me a few Years ago with what I thought was a sort of atypical mid life idea....he wanted to fly a powered hang glider...he wanted to buy one....so I thought about it and when I was supposed to try and talk sense and talk him out of it... I said why not.... Start of quite the adventure for both of us...but ended up opening the door to one of my dreams too...inadvertently.... Go for it!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #17

Live life with the Least Regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmar33 View Post
Hi, I'm new here but since I'm a psychologist I thought that my knowledge in that area may help. My advice is to proceed with caution, but DO proceed. If you don't, you'll always have that "what if..." or "I should have..." But, now that you have found this dream, do your homework and find out as best as you can whether the dream holds. up to the light of day before you make any commitments.

. . .
Pretty good advice. I have an experience based comment to support this.

I'm retired now and doing a lot of things I didn't do when I first should have done them. About 10 years before retiring I realized my regrets in life were not about what I did--they were about what I didn't do. To this day I regret not buying an Airplane when I could have. I had the support of my wife and it would have been a hobby, not a transportation need. But I passed on it because I somehow couldn't justify it in my mind.

So now, providing we have the where-with-all to follow through, I/we now act on our desires.

I call this living life on the least regret principle. Making decisions to minimize my later regret that I didn't do it.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Garmar33 for a psychologist with a cat for an avatar you make good sense.

OP - looks can be deceiving so by all means get an good RV (house) inspector and mechanical check out. There is a lot of appeal to "classics", but most folks don't use their '57 Chevy as their daily driver. While this is different and completely livable as it rolled off the line - there have been a lot of improvements to come along since this was state of the art. You may find yourself doing upgrades and putting money into it after the fact. So keep future expenditures in mind. If it checks out, and it suits you and the wife - why not live the dream.

Did you by chance have a childhood dream of owning a wooden boat? I gave up my dream of a '57 Chris Craft when the RV bug bit in '91. I don't regret the tradeoff, had a bass boat and even stayed in a Holiday Inn.

Make yourself happy.
Amen to all of that, Flagship. An inspection is high on the priority list, assuming we get that far. I'll tell ya'll that, no matter what the outcome of this one, we're likely to be in something similar rather than upgrade the PUP.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #19

Did the entire route. Tented from coast to coast, far north to deep south. Did the same with tent trailer and then house trailer. Never thought we could do the MH lifestyle. Couldn't count the nights comforting the kids in a hot sweaty tent listening to the air conditioners of the big rigs around us. A few years back, with the kids grown and gone, on a total whim, the DW and I decided to take the plunge and bought our first MH. Couple of trade ups later, we are not the biggest, fanciest, newest but we do have a comfort that the old bones appreciate and we haven't looked back. Though a couple of years from retirement we are of that age where friends and family, to us anyways are dropping like flies (not being rude but tough to take when, in our busy lives, the only time everyone is able to still get together are funerals). Our only regret is not taking the plunge 10 years earlier. Do this: Find the rig that you love, get it checked out by a professional (lousy when a dream is taken over by frustration), travel as far as it takes to get it, don't look back except with fond memories, and live the dream. Best of luck with your search and may you always travel with a tailwind.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't wait too hear what you did... I like the one your looking at also. We bought a 82 last season and we love it, its paid for, looks good, get some complements on her, she rides great and I think it get's better MPG than my 64 deville convert and its 9 feet longer!!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #21

*Just* as a quick update - we're still sorting out the financials on our end, and waiting on a couple of other things.

What my beloved and I's conversation has turned into is this - if it isn't *this* one, then what? The answer to that is yes - we'll find another.

Long story short, it's happening. One way or another.

May Fate and Fortune spare my wallet...
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #22

Happy trails, happy endings. Hope you find the coach of your dreams.

luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote