Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #1

Everyone needs a diet

I've been reading all these posts about folks who have a dry weight of say 7000 pounds and wet weights of like 9000 pounds. Maybe it's just that I've learned to travel light being a road warrior and all for work but I just can't imagine putting 2000 pounds of stuff in a travel trailer.

My wife and I will be stepping up from a popup this spring and our plan is to just move the stuff in the popup to the TT. Basically linens and cooking gear and two folding chairs. I know some like to fill freshwater tanks before setting out but even 40 gallons of water is what 300-350 pounds.

And even when the kids were younger and still living at home we didn't have that much added weight to the popup.

Over the years we have weeded out stuff from the popup that we never used. We got rid of the portajohn the first year. Just too much hassle for that thing in the confines of the popup. And we've added some things over the years. Last summer we added a crock pot. Once we had all the dishes (plastic) and cookware mostly just a campset of nested pots/pans and linens I'd say we are at less than 400 pounds.

Am I doing something wrong that I don't have more weight. The only thing we pack before we leave is clothes. And that is usually one carry-on size bag for a weeks worth of travel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:57 AM   #2

To each their own and why fret the way other people load their trailers?. When you have a bigger trailer, you will bring more stuff. Betting you will be at least doubling your living space. You likely didn't have the option to carry much with a pop up. Also, why the over concern on weight? Are you planning on pulling the trailer with a vehicle that may struggle with the added weight? I would ask about gas price concerns but.......

I always fill the water tank all the way up, and be sure the LP tanks are full. I like to be prepared just in case things don't go according to plans which is often the case. Just be prepared for your family's sake. Have fun

Old 01-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #3

Even though my tt hasn't been on it's first camping trip yet, I'm very conscience of the weight limitations. Already within 37 lbs. of maxing out the tounge weight while empty.
I'm so picky about it a friend suggested I trade out the license plate bolts for plastic ones to lighten up...lol.
How the tt is loaded, tire pressure, tongue weight, etc. concern me, while friends think I should just hook to it and GO.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #4

37 pounds seems to be cutting it very close. 2 full LP tanks would put you over. Are you referring to the max tongue weight of your tow vehicle?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

In my mind it's about getting away from everything not bringing it with me.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"In my mind it's about getting away from everything not bringing it with me."

That's you and what fits your camping style. Many like to bring it with them. When you look at how people camp, you may be at one end of the extreme, bring nothing and read a book all weekend, while others pack half of what Camping World sells and like to watch football on their outdoor TV. To each his own.

I would never camp in a pop up, even when I was young.....that doesn't make either one of us wrong....just different. By the way.....when something breaks down on your empty trailer, come on over to my RV....I have all the tools and spare parts!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"In my mind it's about getting away from everything not bringing it with me."

That's you and what fits your camping style. Many like to bring it with them. When you look at how people camp, you may be at one end of the extreme, bring nothing and read a book all weekend, while others pack half of what Camping World sells and like to watch football on their outdoor TV. To each his own.

I would never camp in a pop up, even when I was young.....that doesn't make either one of us wrong....just different. By the way.....when something breaks down on your empty trailer, come on over to my RV....I have all the tools and spare parts!
That's the beauty of keeping it simple. I don't need many tools

That may change a bit as DW and I move up to a TT.