Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Thumbs up Excellent Tire Replacement Experience

I just have to pass this along to anyone needing RV or Toad tires that are in Oregon or Washington.

We live in Nevada and wanted to take a trip along the beautiful Oregon and Washington coasts. Seeing that I was also looking for tires I remembered that Oregon does not have a Sales Tax and thought I'd buy them there to save $200-300.

I called Billy at STS (Superior Tire Services) in Eugene, OR (541) 744-2000 and asked if they had 4 Michelin 295/80R/22.5 for the rear of my Beaver Coach. They had 6 less than 6 months old. I asked if they participated in the FMCA Michelin Tire Program and they did and were very familiar with it. I contacted FMCA and registered (very easy) and set up an appointment to get the tires. When I arrived it only took about 15 minutes to get started on my coach. They put 4 guys to work on it and we were done in less than hour. They recommended that I do not balance the rear tires because they have found the XZA2 tires to be very round from Michelin. They were right, very smooth and quiet.

The 4 tires were $2,717.80 through the FMCA plan and STS only charged me $146.00 for labor and rebuild of the valve stems. I was one happy Camper.

They offered to check the Michelin tires on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad that only had 30,000 miles on them. They were purchased from Costco in 2008. They found weather cracks and a buldge in the right front sidewall. I called the Costco where I bought them and was told that it was unlikely that they would replace the tire and they would definitely not do anything about the weather checking (these were 60,000 mi tires).

I told STS what Costco told me and he thought it was unacceptable. He got on the phone with Michelin Customer Service and explained the situation and let them know this was on an All Wheel Drive Jeep so we couldn't replace just one tire and that the others were cracking. He got Michelin to agree (without a rep coming out to look at the tire) to replace ALL 4 tires at a percentage of STS's cost. They didn't have them in Eugene but had them in Salem. I drove to Salem and they had the tires waiting for me.

They put new Michelins on my Jeep that were several upgrades from what I had on it. Very quiet and improved the ride of the Jeep. Don't know the exact deal Michelin gave them but I got 4 new M/S tires, stems, mounting and balance for $484.00. I called Costco and had them quote the same tires, $1082.00 without tax. I will never buy tires from Costco again because they don't want to help with warrenty issues. I have a set on my GMC pickup and every time I go to Costco to have them rotated they tell me 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. Went to Les Schwab!!!

If you need tires, call STS, they are fantastic to work with.

Russ and Gloria, Sophie and Kaylee the Springer Spaniels
2006 40' Beaver Monterey, '2015 Grand Cherokee Toad , BlueOx Towbar, Smart Brake.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy to hear about your good experience. It seems there are more bad experiences than good.

I think good customer service is loosing out to making a making a bigger profit at many repair facilities today.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Excellent to hear. Definitely share your positive experience on http://rvservicereviews.com/
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by STLNLUV View Post
I will never buy tires from Costco again because they don't want to help with warrenty issues. I have a set on my GMC pickup and every time I go to Costco to have them rotated they tell me 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. Went to Les Schwab!!!

If you need tires, call STS, they are fantastic to work with.
On the other hand, I had Michelin tires on our '05 Odyssey. We bought them at Costco and they had about 30,000 miles on them. Went in to have them rotated. The tire service manager looked at them and told me they were too worn at the edges. He then made a warranty adjustment and I got 4 new Michelins (90,000 mile wear) for just over $400.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really think that it is where you go and what your attitude is. Some Costco stores will bend over backwards for you and others won't. My Les Schwab dealer is great,but I have been to one where the service wasn't great. That was not the norm for Les Schwab though as normally you'll ALways get good service from them.
I am buying rear tires now and checked two Michelin stores in my area and the price was $461 per for the tires,but one store wanted $300+ for labor and the other wanted almost $400.. nope,that ain't gonna happen.
My Les Schwab wanted $2,900 for the 255 /80R/22.5 Michelins and $1800.00 for 265/75R/22.5 out the door for Toyo's and so they're going on tomorrow. I have had Toyo's on my trucks and suv's for years and never had a problem.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote