Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
How about with a propane gen? All my previous RV had gas gens which I can understand the issues with varnishing and so forth. But a propane is a different animal. Anyone have any advice here?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
How about with a propane gen? All my previous RV had gas gens which I can understand the issues with varnishing and so forth. But a propane is a different animal. Anyone have any advice here?
I don't THINK there is any different recommendations. Part of the purpose of exercising the genny is to remove humidity/moisture from the components that generate the electricity itself. So, while fuel age/condition may not be as big of a problem for propane, the other side of it still needs to be worked.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I don't THINK there is any different recommendations. Part of the purpose of exercising the genny is to remove humidity/moisture from the components that generate the electricity itself. So, while fuel age/condition may not be as big of a problem for propane, the other side of it still needs to be worked.
True.
The slip rings, brushes and other 120VAC generating components are the same on the Gas and LP Onans, as are the throttle linkage etc.

I know the should be exercised regularly, however, I don't do it very often, (often enough).

Mel
'96 Sahara, 132k miles
17 year old 6.3kw LP Onan
(360 total hours)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

mine is LP...it starts no differently during day to day usage as it does fall until next spring(after sitting all winter)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Since the coach is R HOME, it is quite easy to routinely exercise the generator. During the summer months, I pick a day when I have both A/C's in use to run the generator approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. During the winter we usually have two Lasko Ceramic electric heaters running on a cold day and I will run the generator about the same amount of time each month.

The more the generator is used the better I feel about having it work correctly when I REALLY need it especially when traveling from Point A to Point B when it is used the most.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
HHg

My Onan 10k generators owners manual says to keep warranty in force, it must be exercised 2 hours per month under at least 1/2 load. That is what I do.

Hhg
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I turn on both heat pumps, one on heat the other on cool, in about ½ hr I switch them around.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
mine is LP...it starts no differently during day to day usage as it does fall until next spring(after sitting all winter)
But that's not the point of "exercising" the gen. The generator windings collect moisture which needs heat to "burn" it off or they can short out. So, while a propane powered engine doesn't need the "exercise" the generator itself does.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #23

We currently live on our 42' trawler. Our gen is a diesel Westerbeke. Same high quality construction as the Onan/Cummins. At 4211 hrs I finally had to overhaul it. It's 18 years old and ran like top until starting to lose compression on #2 cyl. New rings, head gasket, bearings and its 413 hrs since rebuild. Those small diesels are meant to run. Start them up, load them up (60% at least) once a month and they will out last the coach.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
WOW--360 hrs on a 1996 genset--so what are you saving it for???? Lots of opinions here and some facts. Seems like once a month for 30 minutes, at 1/2 load is about right--key is warm up the components and drive off any moisture that has accumulated. Not sure how cold "too cold" is but winter and storage is the prime time to exercise your genset. Having it set for months in cold weather is not good for the engine or the generator.....just saying

OBOY, 1982 Pace Arrow genny has under 200 hours, I just don't stay anywhere where there isn't hookups. I just have to start BOONDOCKING
Another reason to go RVing!!!!! Lets go go go.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
My Onan 10k generators owners manual says to keep warranty in force, it must be exercised 2 hours per month under at least 1/2 load. That is what I do.

Hhg
I guess it would be easy for them to see if you used the genny 2 hours by the hour meter but not so sure how they could tell what load it was under. Of course now days when everything seems to have a computer in it the generators might be keeping track. Big Brother Onan
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Summertime, When I change campgrounds (About an hour's drive) I fire up ye old air conditioning.

Winter time when I change campgrounds (About a 30 minute drive) the space heaters.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #27

Gets pretty cool in Canada during the winter. I'm looking at purchasing a MH, and the dealer told me that in the winter, top up the fuel tank and add a a gas treatment to the tank. This will avoid problems when you start up rhe generator come summer.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
We live in Arizona and when driving I fire up the generator for the A/C. Our coach is 10 years old and we have over 955 hrs on the gen. You know the old saying, use it or lose it! Ours fires up every time. I have had no problems at all. When in storage (outside under cover) I fire up the gen turn on the AC and take a nap. LOL Damn life is hard.

14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator