Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Question Expandable Hoses?

I'm really tired of my white 50' fresh water hose kinking and having to wrestle with it to put it away . Has anyone used one of those expandable hoses for their fresh water hose? I see ones on Amazon that are safe for drinking water.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

I have, it only last several months, some kids stepped on it and punctured it, they are not very robust.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

We have been very pleased with the Zero G Marine and RV hose. We carry two 25' lengths.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
We have been very pleased with the Zero G Marine and RV hose. We carry two 25' lengths.

Does it act like a fire hose when filled with water, and how are they in cool weather?
I know most hoses get stiff in just a little cool weather. I recently drained water out of my water htr to warm it so I cold roll it up.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would never trust one for drinking water. While it may be sanitary when purchased, the retracting hose is going to trap water in the folds which may become contaminated as the water is trapped there for long periods.

I carry one for washing my coach, but never to put water in my tank.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I'm really tired of my white 50' fresh water hose kinking and having to wrestle with it to put it away . Has anyone used one of those expandable hoses for their fresh water hose? I see ones on Amazon that are safe for drinking water.
The "expandable" hoses add flow resistance and lower your water pressure. Trade in your 50 foot hose for a 25' hose and maybe another 10' or 15' foot hose. Connect together as necessary. My 25' hose works 90% of the time by itself.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I would never trust one for drinking water. While it may be sanitary when purchased, the retracting hose is going to trap water in the folds which may become contaminated as the water is trapped there for long periods.

I carry one for washing my coach, but never to put water in my tank.

Good Point
Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I'm really tired of my white 50' fresh water hose kinking and having to wrestle with it to put it away .
I know you're asking about expandable hoses, but if you decide not to go that route, you should consider using two 25' lengths of white hose instead of a 50' white hose.

I've sometimes used two together and tried to coil them up without disconnecting (which makes them the equivalent of a 50' hose) and it's a LOT harder than coiling up a 25' hose. Or even two 25' hoses separately.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Yes.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone actually make a non-kinking RV drinking water hose? Seems like it would be a no brainer.
Personally, I would pay more for a good quality drinking water hose. The Camco ones are crap.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

I have one of the Zero G hoses 50'. I've been using it for about a year, so far so good. I fill my tank with it but don't drink water from our fresh water tank preferring to drink bottled water or CG water we fill plastic jugs with.

The Zero G is easy to store. I will replace it with another when it breaks.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post

snip.

Water trapped in my freshwater tank for weeks or months at a time is why I don't drink from my tank.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Hi Scott.
Several years ago I switched over to the Zero G from Lowes. I have quick disconnects on the hose and my rig. Best thing I ever did for the water system besides the whole rig filter system. I have no Idea how it would work in freezing weather as I, like you, live in southern Ca.

I coil it up in a small plastic container and then click the ends together. The end that connects to the filter system has a shut off valve then the quick disconnect on it.

Don't forget to flush out the hose before you connect it to rig. One reason for the shut off valve.
YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
No but I use one for my black water flush and have no issues with it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote