Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Expense log

We will be going on a month long trip and I would like to find a simple program that would track expenses, figure mileage etc. I don't have time or the brain power to set up a spreadsheet. I would like a computer program instead of a phone app.

Thanks,
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Dont do it, you'll want to sell your MH afterwards.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mileage is easy

Mileage is easy and I track it to be aware of any sudden changes that might indicate something wrong in the engine bay.

I try not to dwell on the other expenses too often. It's in the shop right now and the ransom is going to be around $2,500.

The DW and I tell each others that whatever it is it's cheaper than fancy hotels and first class airfare.

It is what it is.

If you google 'RV expenses spreadsheet' you'll find many.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

The DW built an excel spread sheet several years ago that we use. We track our daily mileage along with fuel cost and MPG. It also helps me decide where to get fuel and where NOT to. Being that we travel through Canada a fair amount, we can see where to get fuel and how far I can push my MPG. It has been fun to watch our expenses over the last couple decades.
This lat trip I started keeping a record on the RV parks that we stopped at. Some were real good and others, well......
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

We didnt count anything but fuel and camping fees before we went F/T. The rest was a fairly stable expense no matter where we were.

Now we count nothing. The expenses of a S&B are gone, and this lifestyle is much cheaper.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is a rather comprehensive program called Rolling Stock that probably does more than you can imagine keeping track of. It was created by an RVer who is a professional software engineer for his own use. Friends liked it so much that now he sells it. It keeps track of all your vehicles, i.e. all your "rolling stock".

Rolling Stock - Vehicle and Trip Expense Recording and Reporting
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you tell me what you would like to track and what info you want, I can put it into Excel for you.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would keep daily notes in a journal. In the evening or after your trip you could transfer to your computer.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not sure how your financial arrangement is, but if you use a credit/debit card exclusively you can download from the bank your monthly statements. That will have all of your purchases. A program called Quicken is relatively inexpensive and once the statement is downloaded it can be opened with Quicken and the program will sort your purchases by category. Some slight editing of the categories may be necessary when the first inport, but all in all it does a good job.

Or, start a file folder. Keep all the receipts and for the fuel receipts write down the mileage on the receipt. At the end of the trip, or daily, weekly or as needed, you can compile the information into whatever form you wish.

Or, as others have suggested.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #10

maybe I don't want to know

Thanks for the replies and the offers. I guess I will just do it by pen and paper as all I really want to track is fuel mileage. As mentioned it is probably better not knowing until we get back home!! I am going to drive slower to see if I can improve the mpg. At 62 to 64 mph I only get 5.6 to 5.8 mpg so I am going to try 58 mph to see if I can get over 6 mpg. We will be gone for a month so I don't need to be in a big hurry anyway. The MH drives so good it is not tiring to drive it just gets boring.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #11

Take your pick from these search results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There is a rather comprehensive program called Rolling Stock that probably does more than you can imagine keeping track of. It was created by an RVer who is a professional software engineer for his own use. Friends liked it so much that now he sells it. It keeps track of all your vehicles, i.e. all your "rolling stock".

Rolling Stock - Vehicle and Trip Expense Recording and Reporting

X2 excellent program!