Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Expensive Mistake

Just thought I would throw this out for any other 'newbies', so that you know you are not the only one to make a 'blonde moment' mistakes (I am a blonde, so love that term..........

I thought that I had completely winterized my TT last Fall. Turns out I forgot one major component; the water heater.

I did not drain it and when I took my first trip, in the Spring, had water pouring out of my TT and in my TT.

Took it in to be looked at and it was the hot water heater. WOW, you should have seen it!! Looked like a bomb went off inside of it, or an Alien forced it's way out. Ice is an amazingly powerful medium!! That thing had a massive hole in it and it was completely cracked up one side to boot.

$400 later I have learned that I am going to have a hard copy check list, this Fall, to make sure that I cover everything!!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #2

YOU WEREN'T THE FIRST

and probably won't be the last ...

{happened to my brother-in-law}

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen what it looked like.... Thankfully.. It was NOT my water heater.

When I first got my Motor home (MAY, Warm, no freezing) I was walking through the shop with a service consultant and an insurance adjuster.. The Adjuster stopped at the water heater.. I looked at it and ask the consultant if the owner had done.. as you did. "yup" was the response.

So, that winter.. I drained mine

I don't drain it any more

I use a different method of winterizing

There are 3 methods you know

WET (Bypass and drain water heater, pump in pink stuff for the lines)

DRY (Drain water hater, re-install plug, blow lines out with compressed air, re-drain)

SOUTH: Drive south till you no longer see "Bridge ices before road" signs.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
... SOUTH: Drive south till you no longer see "Bridge ices before road" signs.
I think that is the best method for ensuring that your pipes, etc do not freeze up.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Thats what I thought too, until I went to Florida last winter. I disconnected my water hose, and left the faucet drip over night at our site near the Villages. Others in the park didn't, and some looked like a public fountain. Going south of the "Road freezes before bridge surfaces" doesn't always work like it should. The only consolation was when I called home to tell them I was freezing, I was quickly told they didn't want to hear it as it was REALLY cold in Ohio.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote